AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

I predict plenty of posters here will be savage on the club for not maintaining sufficient depth in the next few years. Shiel is solid gold for the makeup of our list right now. Whether that’s what he wants is another matter.
He’s the sort of player who could come in during finals and play a significant role in bringing the club more success than it’s had in 20 years yet people want to trade him for a 3rd? 🤯

Experience in the middle though... who will they have besides Simpkin?
At the end of the year 90% of their midfield will be 2nd to 5th year players. I just doubt they are looking for experience in the midfield. It has not really been their issue and I do not think they need a ball hunter as their old head. They have been running Shiels as a defensive midfielder as their old head.

I predict plenty of posters here will be savage on the club for not maintaining sufficient depth in the next few years. Shiel is solid gold for the makeup of our list right now. Whether that’s what he wants is another matter.
He’s the sort of player who could come in during finals and play a significant role in bringing the club more success than it’s had in 20 years yet people want to trade him for a 3rd? 🤯
It's all trivial unless he's prepared to accept that role, including a huge downgrade in pay.

100%.

He is a very good player to have on the fringe than someone like Braydon Ham or that bloke who we had for a bit who BrunoV loved who went on to star in Love Island or MAFS or whatever it was.

Plenty of poster probably have no problem keeping him if he’s wants to stay. That could be the issue tho.

The only reason he's not best 22 is that his body hasn't held up. He was best 22 to begin last season as a half forward/ mid rotation (he was playing well) before his body broke down again, and he's kept having injury setbacks ever since. Id say Shiel would/should still be very much in Scotts plans for this season if he can string some VFL form together and the body holds up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would not be at all surprised if there's a suitor lined up through Shiel's management already. He seems to be doing just enough to keep his health and fitness preserved to be able to hit the ground running for preseason; and not interested in doing too much more.

I was thinking the same thing. It's almost like a year off for him. He puts in the minimum required, and does the training and jogs around in the 2s to keep his fitness up.

he’s living the dream - good on him!

I don't blame Shiel, I don't think we've done the best by him.

Kind of wish the club had found another home for him at the end of last year. Be interesting to see what happens at the end of this year considering he's contracted for 2025. Surely the club has to either move him on or pay him out.

I don't blame Shiel, I don't think we've done the best by him.

Kind of wish the club had found another home for him at the end of last year. Be interesting to see what happens at the end of this year considering he's contracted for 2025. Surely the club has to either move him on or pay him out.
Whoever does the contracts should be sacked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back