AFL Autopsy RND 9: Chewed up by the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Wont stop Dodo from keeping them for at least 5 years until we can discard them completely into the AFL scrap heap with 0 trade capital
At that point you gotta look squarely at Vozzo and Barham for claiming they wanted to make change and being hired to do so, then not making the required changes

Draft vanilla and play vanilla.

Comment on match winners is absolutely spot on.
Stringer is probably the only one we have who might blow a game open and he tends to leave that for the downhill tracks these days.

Too many either drop their heads or just look bereft of answers when the chips are down.
His best game this season was against Geelong.

**** Joe Daniher

dodgeball GIF

At that point you gotta look squarely at Vozzo and Barham for claiming they wanted to make change and being hired to do so, then not making the required changes

And the countless boards and people in charge before Barham/Vozzo before them for allowing Dodo to keep his job

In positive Heppell, McGrath, zerk, Redman were great.

Plus merret/Langer/hobbs for a half were good.

Still high on perk to reach a elite level as has that want to take the game on, good confidence and dynamic impact at times but other times other times I'm also not sure if just stands out more due to our vanilla list.

Congratulations Joe Daniher...im sure Dad and in particular Uncle Terry would be proud you demolished the red n black.....👏....
keep smiling I'm sure ya satisfied tonight....

And the countless boards and people in charge before Barham/Vozzo before them for allowing Dodo to keep his job
That's what the members voted for at the time and we can't go back in time to change it.

Barham is in charge now. Pretty sure he's up for the vote this year, and he came in with a vision for change. Mahoney told him that the recruitment needed looking at, that some of the players are morons, but for whatever reason through that entire clean out they have so far kept Dodoro, with Vozzo deciding both Dodoro and Mahoney should report directly to him when he came in as a result of the friction between the two.

I notice teams can still get that run on against us. They are dominating us in these periods but we are not like total witches hats and forcing them into errors.
It’s positive on one hand that we have improved when the opponent has the ball in hand but disappointing that the momentum seems to last over a quarter without much counter punching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone mentioned this during the week and it is a huge thing for us moving forward but we lack match winners, guys who say come with me.

Even Merret as good and under appreciated as he is, doesn't strike me as someone who clubs fear, ditto Parish.

Look at Brisbane tonight and Joe won the game for them, Neale was the difference in the midfield, Andrews down back. Big O held his own in the ruck and probably almost took the points. Cameron had a down day but forms a pretty potent front 6 with Z.Bailey, Rayner McCarthy alongside him and if Neale is well held, Dunkley, Zorko &/or McCluggage will get you

We don't have any where near that depth in our group of players who could be match winners, difference makers. Stringer, yeah/. Draper, could be. Redman could be and is close to being one. That is it from tonights game imho
Who is Brisbane's recruiter? We should go after that person.
They've traded in Cameron, Daniher, Dunkley, Gunston and Neale. They brought in Birchall and Hodge to instil professional standards. Good consolidation.

Can't be too disappointed. We played yet another top 4 team/premiership contender and got beaten. our first half was great and we had a plan. When they stepped up the pressure.. we cracked and cracked badly.

I think I'm comfortable to say that we have sorted some of the coaching issues out.

However we still have serious issues with list management and our fitness department. We are unfit and have been unfit for the best part of 15 years. Only time we were even half way near AFL level was when Hird was coach. Since then it has been deplorable lack of fitness and strength. We are also always in the 'top' 4 for injuries. Every year we lament having a large section of our list unavailable for selection, in the modified group or working back to full fitness. It is a major issue and needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

The list issue needs to start with Duds being given the boot. Like right now. Bye bye and thanks for nothing. It is glaring how many holes are in our list. We have talls.. either weedy kids that are injured all the time.. or guys that were rejected for good reason. We got lucky when 2MP turned it around.. but you look at our 'bigs' tonight.. Draper, Flip, Weid.. and all of them are scared of a contest and have concrete hands. The hardest part is that we don't seem to even know how to halve the contest.. we consistently lose the contest outright. We give back possession far too easily. It puts so much pressure on the whole team and we have to work so hard for all our scores. We lack a ruck department and have for years. We have no real pace weapons. We have, as others have mention, absolutely no true 'match winners' on the list. Until we get serious about our list we won't get near it. Needs a lot of missing pieces.

Case it point.. McGrath was excellent tonight.. like exceptional.. probably 2nd best on ground after redman for me. But even having played a perfect game.. I still think.. that is what we got with our #1 pick. A small lock down defender??? Other teams spend their 4th/5th round picks for those.. or pick them up in the MSD.. we just have not got enough out of top 10 picks. Nowhere near enough.

Still the result was probably better than I expected and I loved watching the first half.. I still feel positive about the season and I hope that Scott has enough reputation to finally get some of the bigger and much needed changes happening.

That's what the members voted for at the time and we can't go back in time to change it.

Barham is in charge now. Pretty sure he's up for the vote this year, and he came in with a vision for change. Mahoney told him that the recruitment needed looking at, that some of the players are morons, but for whatever reason through that entire clean out they have so far kept Dodoro, with Vozzo deciding both Dodoro and Mahoney should report directly to him when he came in as a result of the friction between the two.
Brad said he'd spend the year looking at the list.
I imagine by extension this will also be dodoro and RFK.
There was no rush but id hope he's starting to form his opinion now and vozzo act accordingly soon.
If one or both of dodoro/mahoney go it'd be nice to replace them sooner rather than later.

Can't be too disappointed. We played yet another top 4 team/premiership contender and got beaten. our first half was great and we had a plan. When they stepped up the pressure.. we cracked and cracked badly.

I think I'm comfortable to say that we have sorted some of the coaching issues out.

However we still have serious issues with list management and our fitness department. We are unfit and have been unfit for the best part of 15 years. Only time we were even half way near AFL level was when Hird was coach. Since then it has been deplorable lack of fitness and strength. We are also always in the 'top' 4 for injuries. Every year we lament having a large section of our list unavailable for selection, in the modified group or working back to full fitness. It is a major issue and needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

The list issue needs to start with Duds being given the boot. Like right now. Bye bye and thanks for nothing. It is glaring how many holes are in our list. We have talls.. either weedy kids that are injured all the time.. or guys that were rejected for good reason. We got lucky when 2MP turned it around.. but you look at our 'bigs' tonight.. Draper, Flip, Weid.. and all of them are scared of a contest and have concrete hands. The hardest part is that we don't seem to even know how to halve the contest.. we consistently lose the contest outright. We give back possession far too easily. It puts so much pressure on the whole team and we have to work so hard for all our scores. We lack a ruck department and have for years. We have no real pace weapons. We have, as others have mention, absolutely no true 'match winners' on the list. Until we get serious about our list we won't get near it. Needs a lot of missing pieces.

Case it point.. McGrath was excellent tonight.. like exceptional.. probably 2nd best on ground after redman for me. But even having played a perfect game.. I still think.. that is what we got with our #1 pick. A small lock down defender??? Other teams spend their 4th/5th round picks for those.. or pick them up in the MSD.. we just have not got enough out of top 10 picks. Nowhere near enough.

Still the result was probably better than I expected and I loved watching the first half.. I still feel positive about the season and I hope that Scott has enough reputation to finally get some of the bigger and much needed changes happening.

fun fact as a crack at the draw, we played a reigning prelim finalist on there home turf with one less days rest after playing last years premiers off a 5 day break or whatever it was

fun fact as a crack at the draw, we played a reigning prelim finalist on there home turf with one less days rest after playing last years premiers off a 5 day break or whatever it was
This bit was always going to suck

Add to it playing the form team of the comp before that 5 day break.

And the team i consider the best before that

That second half was probably coming given:

• Brisbane had two days extra break
  • Essendon had to travel two weeks in a row
  • Brisbane have only one player on their injury list

Undoubtedly there were some effort and skill errors in the second half, but there’ll be some factors that will be difficult to overcome even if you played perfectly

In positive news though, that settles the debate that McGrath can play small defender. Sure, Taranto or McCluggage would be nice but we can't change history and tonight showed that Andy can be elite as a small defender.
Could set a trend? 1st round draft pick for a quality back pocket, just don’t let them kick out from a behind

Draper needs to pull his head in. Done sweet FA over the last month since the Melbourne game and is meant.to be our no.1 ruckman. Getting beaten badly around the ground with minimal impact and hardly any marks.....need more from him......While he's still learning, been a very disappointing month Sammy.

This bit was always going to suck

Add to it playing the form team of the comp before that 5 day break.

And the team i consider the best before that

biggest bit of evidence that the AFL hates us is this. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a downright idiot who deserves to be burnt at the stake.

It's not like its a St.Kilda who have come out of no where or The Dogs who people genuinely believed should be better than they have performed. We literally played 3 of the top 6 teams from last year inside the least amount of rest days

That second half was probably coming given:

• Brisbane had two days extra break
  • Essendon had to travel two weeks in a row
  • Brisbane have only one player on their injury list

Undoubtedly there were some effort and skill errors in the second half, but there’ll be some factors that will be difficult to overcome even if you played perfectly
I don't even mind a lot of the skill errors that killed us, good to see the younger guys are trying to take the game on instead of resorting to the ol' long bomb from half back. As they get more time playing and importantly playing with each other the errors will start to drop away.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 9: Chewed up by the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back