Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate he's putting contract talk on hold even though he is guaranteed a big one.

Let's look at past players, hornes francis, scully from melb, mckay, franklin etc.

All of these players 'park' contract talk until season ends and they all end up going.

We need to maximise his value and plan for the longterm.

Our premiership team core will be led by players we got from 2022 - 2027
As young people say these days "yeah nah", I disagree with what your saying about Luke and that he can be replaced by a top 4 player pick in the draft which is what you have pretty much said before and that by the time we're contending he will be too old, as Alastair has said on many occasions, in football, things can turn very quickly and not only is this true but its coming from one if not the greatest coach in AFL history, so I think he knows what he is talking about even when other people don't agree.

As other posters on here have said we can't keep losing players of this quality no matter what position in the draft we pick them and hope to stay the course, this would be very unwise to do and is fraught with immense danger and I say this as a guy who is very interested in the draft and look at them from my perspective of who's improving and what they can add to our team, yes there have been other examples that have worked out before but every case is different and unique and must be treated that way, in this case Luke is one if not the most important cogs in our machine, think of it this way, he's a very special "part" and if that "part" is removed then while it may be replaced it will take more time and set us back even further.

Do you see Hawthorn who some tipped to be bottom 3 playing the way they are, how they are going about things? Why do you think they are knocking off good teams, a fluke, no, lucky, no, its because of their good senior players leading the way and gelling with their youngsters and then other things come into the equation such as confidence and momentum. From your posting of Luke it seems to me that you are scared, {sorry, this is probably not the right word} or very wary that he is going to leave us and you want to get on the front foot, as to speak, and get a gun youngster back in return to build a different setup in the middle, either that or you just don't rate him which to me is not logical, but if that's your opinion then that's fair enough its a forum and nobody is going to agree about everything.

Luke was very close to his late father and I get the feeling that he instilled a lot of things into him, one of which is loyalty, and that his career is dedicated to him, you know money is always an issue when it comes to top players but in this case I really don't think its an issue, there are more important factors in play here than money.

Putting my ChairmanZia thinking cap on for a second after a friend made an observation about that comment ‘it felt like I didn’t need to carry the load this time’. Should we be panicking?
No! Just the reverse, we will try and get a couple of free agents or trade in a couple to further help our team, a little more experience would be beneficial and with 3 or 4 more kids coming at draft time the project is good experienced players to round it out.

No! Just the reverse, we will try and get a couple of free agents or trade in a couple to further help our team, a little more experience would be beneficial and with 3 or 4 more kids coming at draft time the project is good experienced players to round it out.

You’ve settled my over anxious nerves!
A caged LION will do that!
Everyone keeps referring to him as a caged lion after ‘that footage of him on the bench’. I went back and looked at it after Buckley mentioned it, and just as I saw on game day. There’s LDU standing there just with his hands on his hips, pretty casual actually 😂

Its only one win but we held on at the death when last year we couldn't. That's a major psychological barrier gone.

They've done it once, they can do it again.

They lost the plot and lost the lead and were still able to fight back and win the game. So they can do that again too.

We are capable of beating WC or Brisbane. WE have done that. If we keep coming up against sides that are missing their stars, like Collingwood next week and the goDEEs to a lesser extent the following week, we're a chance to catch them slightly off guard.

We might win several more games.

Maybe not, could be none but we could win another four or more.

We did something similar against Freo rd2 last year. We didn't come from behind in that game but we did lead by 5 goals at 3QT and held on to win by 1.

We then lost the next 20 or so games in a row lol

You’ve settled my over anxious nerves!

Everyone keeps referring to him as a caged lion after ‘that footage of him on the bench’. I went back and looked at it after Buckley mentioned it, and just as I saw on game day. There’s LDU standing there just with his hands on his hips, pretty casual actually 😂
Very true justroyal, but the thing is the look, his stare, watch it a couple more times, his intensity at wanting to get out there and help his team out and get the win is on full display, and then the kicker, the way he plays in that last stretch of minutes, it felt like he was a caged lion but when he got out there he was as COOL as a cucumber with what he had to do. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting my ChairmanZia thinking cap on for a second after a friend made an observation about that comment ‘it felt like I didn’t need to carry the load this time’. Should we be panicking?
When I first saw that comment I just saw a young man relieved he didn't have to do it all himself, and feeling the release of the pressure he had put on himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; '24 SBM - congrats LDU

Remove this Banner Ad

Back