A-League Ins and Outs

Remove this Banner Ad

someone on the gate forum used this to describe Ontong

Ontong, who has also captained the Australian Under 17 team, is a quick, tenacious and disciplined player who is extremely versatile and able to play as a midfielder or wide defender.

Sounds very good

Hopefully Hernandes can pick up were Fred left off last season im hoping for him to be the stand out player for V3 as Fred was for V2 now Victory have 2 players that played in the WC should do very well.............again
c'mon boys

Im guessing the other is Archie?

I guess it is, even though he didnt feature. The Victory are looking very strong again. Its good to see a great deal on overseas players coming over here and not worrying about the decreased pay. Hernandez, Cassio, Mols and quite a few others would have taken pay cuts to come here which is great for the league. Also on Sean Ontong, I am glad to see this kid get picked up by someone because a junior with his talent deserves it.

Victory will win next seasons A-League in a canter. Wont even lose a game I reckon.

I guess it is, even though he didnt feature. The Victory are looking very strong again. Its good to see a great deal on overseas players coming over here and not worrying about the decreased pay. Hernandez, Cassio, Mols and quite a few others would have taken pay cuts to come here which is great for the league. Also on Sean Ontong, I am glad to see this kid get picked up by someone because a junior with his talent deserves it.

Im guessing thats Michael Mols of Rangers fame?

Whos he playing for?

Im guessing thats Michael Mols of Rangers fame?

Whos he playing for?

Thats the 1. I read somewhere hes having talks with the Glory and is keen to head over here, cant say I am certain though. And Embers yeah it does look a bit that way, but its still early days yet. Plenty of recruiting left to be done by all sides, and Melbourne cant have much room left in their cap !!! :rolleyes:

Thats the 1. I read somewhere hes having talks with the Glory and is keen to head over here, cant say I am certain though. And Embers yeah it does look a bit that way, but its still early days yet. Plenty of recruiting left to be done by all sides, and Melbourne cant have much room left in their cap !!! :rolleyes:

What cap? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah he is but a pretty classy player when he is on the park. Hopefully for Perths sake he can stay healthy and perform well.

agreed - the league is looking very strong...

On paper MV - AU - Perth - CCM - Newcastle and Sydney all look strong. Give Wellington some time and they could be ok as well (always hard for a new group to gel quickly)

NEWCASTLE Jets are on the verge of losing A-League player of the year and Australia star Nick Carle to Turkish champion Fenerbahce.

The 25-year-old midfield player, who last week earned a surprise call-up to Australia's Asian Cup squad, is undergoing a medical in Istanbul and could sign with the club before the end of the week.

Carle has publicly stated his desire to return to Europe after a stint with French club Troyes in 2001-2002, to further his career and boost his chances of remaining in the national side.

If the deal goes ahead, Carle would play alongside Brazil star Roberto Carlos, signed only this week by Fenerbahce from Real Madrid.

His new teammates would also include former Chelsea striker Mateja Kezman, highly-rated Ghana midfield player Stephen Appiah and Uruguay captain Diego Lugano.

Carle would also play under Brazilian legend and former Japan national coach Zico who took the helm of the 17-time Turkish champions last season.

Newcastle chief executive George Liolio said while the Jets were disappointed to lose Carle, they were determined to do some "good business" out of the deal.

"We've put a hefty transfer on him - it's close to $600,000," Liolio said. "We considered Nicky our franchise player - to use an American term - someone we'd have long-term and just at the right age, with a great image.

"But unfortunately he wanted to go. You can't stand in a player's way and you have to do some good business out of it all."

Liolio said Carle, who has three years left on his Jets contract, could sign in the next day or two.

The Jets have already taken steps to fill Carle's void with the signing of 25-year-old Argentina midfield player Livio Prieto.

Liolio said Prieto, who represented Argentina at under-20s, was of similar stature and playing style to Carle and would fill the attacking midfield player's role well.

Jets coach Gary van Egmond said the international interest in Carle and his Socceroos call-up was something the club could be proud of.

"I'm over the moon for him, he's worked extremely hard and he's got his chance and he's taken it with both hands," Van Egmond said.

"Now he's got an opportunity of moving overseas as well, so for him it seems it's all coming together at the right time. If he was to go on, he goes on with our blessing.

"Of course, we'd be disappointed in losing him but it's great to see there's players from Newcastle Jets that are actually springboarding their careers even further.

"It is important we try and keep (players like Carle) but the other thing is it's a business. And for us to be able to get some money coming back the other way through the sale of players is also very important."

As well as Prieto, the Jets have signed Argentinian Striker Jorge Drovandi, English-based Adam Griffiths and have also agreed to terms with Brazilian striker Flavio Barros for the A-League season three starting in August.

Carle was voted the A-League player of the year last season after leading the Jets from last place into the A-League finals series.

Newcastle today also announced the re-signing of Socceroos defender Jade North.

The 25 year old, who missed selection for the Asian Cup squad, will remain with the Jets for at least two more seasons.

"We are very excited to confirm Jade's future with the Newcastle Jets," Liolio said.

"Both sides are very happy with the agreement reached and we look forward to the next chapter of Jade's career with us."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21904614-23215,00.html

Nick Carle goes to Turkey...but not to Fenerbahce.

Newcastle United Jets have confirmed the transfer of Socceroos midfielder Nick Carle to Turkish side Genclerbirligi, and not champions Fenerbahce as initial reports suggested.

The 2006/07 A-League Player of the Year has signed a three-year deal after intense negotiations with Jets Chief Executive Officer revealing the transfer fee is in the region of $A650,000.

"There were varying levels of interest from a number of clubs in Turkey for Nick Carle and after intense negotiations agreement was reached with Genclerbirligi Ankara," Liolio said in a statement..

"This outcome was the one that the player preferred as well as being in the best interests of the Jets. The transfer fee is in the vicinity of $650,000 to the club with on sells attached."

Carle, who last week earned a call-up to Australia's Asian Cup squad, had previously stated his intention to return to Europe in his quest to secure his place in the national team set-up.

"Nick has been a wonderful player for the Jets and a favourite with the fans, and he’ll be missed, but it wasn’t in his or our interest to hold him back," Liolio added.

"This is a big opportunity for Nicky and he goes with our best wishes. He’ll be playing in a league that includes some of the world game’s elite players."

"However, I’m sure he’ll have fond memories of Newcastle and that he’ll be following the Jets’ fortunes in the upcoming A-League season."

Carle returns to Australia on Monday or Tuesday from Turkey for an official media conference arranged by the Jets.

Genclerbirligi facts:

* Genclerbirligi finished sixth in the 2006/07 Turkish Super League

* Genclerbirligi is the former club of Australian midfielder Josip Skoko, who was transferred to Premier League side Wigan from the Turkish club.

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/index.php?pid=st&cid=90338

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League Ins and Outs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back