A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, would be great to have a guy of his calibre and name here. But of course it won't be the biggest signing ever.....

How would Forlan be seen as meeting the requirements of a guest marquee if Holman and Troisi aren't? We were told yesterday that these players are supposed to attract the casual fans - how does Forlan do that when Socceroos who lit up a World Cup and an Asian Cup respectively don't?

How would Forlan be seen as meeting the requirements of a guest marquee if Holman and Troisi aren't? We were told yesterday that these players are supposed to attract the casual fans - how does Forlan do that when Socceroos who lit up a World Cup and an Asian Cup respectively don't?
Its a fair question but I guess the casual football fan is more likely to know about Diego Forlan than Brett Holman, he was a WC POTT after all.

But I get your point.

Forlan is the Uruguayan equivalent of a Kewell or Cahill.
Troisi and Holman aren't

Play Forlan's goals from the 2010 wrld cup ad nauseum

ez crowds

You're kidding yourself if you think that Troisi or Holman are in the same class of draw power as Forlan.

Bullshit. You ask the casual fan in Australia, and they have no idea who Forlan is.

I'm not so much arguing that Holman or Troisi are big names - I'm arguing that Forlan isn't.

If they'll contribute ~$500k-750k for Forlan, but they wouldn't contribute ~$200k for Holman, FFA will already make a mockery of the marquee fund.

Bullshit. You ask the casual fan in Australia, and they have no idea who Forlan is.

I'm not so much arguing that Holman or Troisi are big names - I'm arguing that Forlan isn't.

If they'll contribute ~$500k-750k for Forlan, but they wouldn't contribute ~$200k for Holman, FFA will already make a mockery of the marquee fund.
The casual fan wouldn't know Holman either, hasn't been around the national scene in year.

The casual fan wouldn't know Holman either, hasn't been around the national scene in year.

Maybe. But isnt that part of the marketing teams role? Dust off the footage of him scoring some of the all-time great Socceroo goals, put it on tv, and he's worth as much an in Australian context as Forlan is. It couldn't be that hard.

No, but football fans that dont follow the A League, Eurosnobs if you will, will be much more likely to watch Forlan than Holman.

Marquee players generally target two types of fan: a) people with a fleeting intereat in football. These types are only drawn in by BIG names. Tbh there is Messi, Ronaldo and then probably Cahill as the most recognisable names to non football people. Cahill is in this category, not because hes anywhere near the ability of thw others, but because every Australian has heard of him, something not many footballers can say in this country

B) the marquee that any football lover knows ie your Torres, Forlan, Lampard type players. These are more aimed at your Eurosnobs.

Holman and Troisi fit in neither of those categories. Great players sure, but not draw cards in any way shape or form

No, but football fans that dont follow the A League, Eurosnobs if you will, will be much more likely to watch Forlan than Holman.

Marquee players generally target two types of fan: a) people with a fleeting intereat in football. These types are only drawn in by BIG names. Tbh there is Messi, Ronaldo and then probably Cahill as the most recognisable names to non football people. Cahill is in this category, not because hes anywhere near the ability of thw others, but because every Australian has heard of him, something not many footballers can say in this country

B) the marquee that any football lover knows ie your Torres, Forlan, Lampard type players. These are more aimed at your Eurosnobs.

Holman and Troisi fit in neither of those categories. Great players sure, but not draw cards in any way shape or form

I like your response mate. Don't agree with it, but it was well articulated :thumbsu:

(I meant that seriously, not withstanding a few typos :p)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Diego Forlán isn't a draw. His 2010 World Cup and playing for Manchester United a thousand years ago might get a few hundred people paying to see him play once. But he is nothing like a household name in Australia.

You know, the more I thought about this tonight, I hope someone does try and bring Forlan in as a marquee fund guest player.

We need at least 2-3 more players (other than Cahill) because:
1) It'll prove that the whole thing isn't the sham rule designed entirely for Cahill that most of us think it is;
2) It will test the FFA to see whether they'll find the money for other players, or whether they blew it all on the wealthiest club in the league;
3) It would give us some guidance on who qualifies ie. a middling player who played for a decent European team a hundred years ago qualifies, but don't dare try and use it for the exact kind of Socceroo player that this league was supposed to entice back home.

So how much is the marquee fund in total? If they've tipped in $1m out of the $3.5m Cahill is reportedly getting how much is left?
I thought it was reported that the FFA were willing to tip into the fund for Holman but he's asking too much for any club to consider it.
There seems to be too much grey area for this to be taken seriously.

I think they've been deliberately ambiguous - they've said there's $1m available to clubs, but haven't said whether it's $1m total or $1m each.

Typical FFA bullshit I think, they'll make it up as they go to suit their own purpose.

Also, it seems as though Cahill "only" got $750k of it, but the FFA are also arranging 3rd party deals for him.

I think they've been deliberately ambiguous - they've said there's $1m available to clubs, but haven't said whether it's $1m total or $1m each.

Typical FFA bullshit I think, they'll make it up as they go to suit their own purpose.

Also, it seems as though Cahill "only" got $750k of it, but the FFA are also arranging 3rd party deals for him.
$egacy.

Brisbane Roar miss out on signing Diego Forlan

efada89dbe670166643c6355f574ed45
MARCO MONTEVERDE, The Courier-MailAugust 12, 2016 9:00pm
efada89dbe670166643c6355f574ed45
BRISBANE Roar managing director Daniel Cobb has wasted the chance to bring Uruguayan star Diego Forlan to the three-time A-League champions despite having almost four weeks to make the deal happen.Having promised funds for a guest marquee player, Cobb has failed to deliver Forlan, who as revealed by The Courier-Mail wanted to come to Brisbane.Representatives of the 37-year-old attacking weapon needed an answer by Friday night, with Forlan also being chased by clubs in India and Canada.Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop had made it clear he was willing to help fund the deal as part of the sport’s national governing body’s “Full Season Guest Marquee” initiative which helped bring Tim Cahill to Melbourne City.It is understood Cobb knew of FFA’s intention to contribute to Forlan’s wages, as well as Roar coach John Aloisi’s strong interest in the player, since July 17.When asked about the Forlan deal on Friday, Cobb said he would not comment on speculation.However, elsewhere he reportedly attempted to absolve himself from any blame for failing to sign Forlan by saying deadlines had worked against the Roar. He suggested the outcome might have been different had he, not the Bakrie Group, owned the club.
38b95edc83a6d07120e54dc02cf0b205
It is understood Cobb had not informed Roar chairman Rahim Soekasah of Aloisi’s desire to bring Forlan to the club, and FFA’s willingness to help make it happen, until yesterday.Indonesia-based Soekasah has been in Brisbane this week on a fact-finding mission as the already strained relationship between Cobb, who wants to buy the club, and the Roar’s football department further deteriorates.Soekasah returns to Jakarta on Saturday to report his findings to Roar owner Nirwan Bakrie, who will rule on Cobb’s future at the club.Meanwhile, new Melbourne City signing Cahill remains a slim chance of playing against the Brisbane Strikers in Wednesday week’s FFA Cup round-of-16 clash at Perry Park.A City spokesman on Friday said the fitness of the Socceroos stalwart, who starts with his new club on Monday, would be assessed before deciding whether Cahill would travel to Brisbane.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/efada89dbe670166643c6355f574ed45

lol well that's that then no Forlan in the A-league, why is Brsbane such a basket case?

Forlan has signed for Mumbai City in the ISL in the mean time.
http://www.espnfc.com/story/2928145/diego-forlan-confirms-three-month-deal-with-mumbai-city

We had our hats in the ring but I'd be shocked if he came back

For the best I reckon. Wouldn't bring many more people to the Brisbane games, if it was in Melbourne maybe but not Brisbane.
I know that Victory are the biggest club (maybe biased) but I'm not entirely sure they'll ever bring in a big name marquee. It's a pretty interesting discussion but you only have to look at the MLS to see we have fallen a long way behind a league we once thought we were on par with.Obviously population plays a role but still.

For the best I reckon. Wouldn't bring many more people to the Brisbane games, if it was in Melbourne maybe but not Brisbane.
I know that Victory are the biggest club (maybe biased) but I'm not entirely sure they'll ever bring in a big name marquee. It's a pretty interesting discussion but you only have to look at the MLS to see we have fallen a long way behind a league we once thought we were on par with.Obviously population plays a role but still.

I've been watching the MLS on BeinSports lately, imho I don't think it's that much better standard then the A-League in fact I'll say teams like Victory, City, Brisbane and Adeliade at their best will beat any MSL team.

But if you mean in terms of marquee players in the MSL compared to the A-League then yeah we have fallen way behind but that'd no surprise really the U.S is closer to Europe and more accessible in transit then Australia and their is a shit load more money involved in the MLS to bring more Marquee players over. The best we can offer is the lifestyle and hope that will win them over.

I've been watching the MLS on BeinSports lately, imho I don't think it's that much better standard then the A-League in fact I'll say teams like Victory, City, Brisbane and Adeliade at their best will beat any MSL team.

But if you mean in terms of marquee players in the MSL compared to the A-League then yeah we have fallen way behind but that'd no surprise really the U.S is closer to Europe and more accessible in transit then Australia and their is a shit load more money involved in the MLS to bring more Marquee players over. The best we can offer is the lifestyle and hope that will win them over.
Fair call, do you think the modern player can be sold on lifestyle now though? With players happy to go to the Middle East, China, Thailand, India etc I feel that it's becoming increasingly difficult to sell it like that. A lot of players aren't going to uproot their family (especially if kids are in school etc) to come down here unless they have the intention of maybe staying long term (like Berisha, Broich ect who weren't 2 year signings).

Our geographical location really does play a role, but it also perplexes me as to why there is such a lack of Asian players in our league. You always here of the coaches talking about scouting trips to every European country there is but never much of a word about Asis. I don't know, we need more billionaires to buy into the league. Gina Rinehart could invest in a new club, the Wollongong Whales has a nice ring to it.

Fair call, do you think the modern player can be sold on lifestyle now though? With players happy to go to the Middle East, China, Thailand, India etc I feel that it's becoming increasingly difficult to sell it like that. A lot of players aren't going to uproot their family (especially if kids are in school etc) to come down here unless they have the intention of maybe staying long term (like Berisha, Broich ect who weren't 2 year signings).

Our geographical location really does play a role, but it also perplexes me as to why there is such a lack of Asian players in our league. You always here of the coaches talking about scouting trips to every European country there is but never much of a word about Asis. I don't know, we need more billionaires to buy into the league. Gina Rinehart could invest in a new club, the Wollongong Whales has a nice ring to it.

lol I see what you did there, think I prefer the good old "Wollongong Wolves" through.

Remove this Banner Ad

A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back