A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

lol according to the official FFA criteria that Davutovic read out during the World of Football show on SEN for a player to be accepted within the guest Marquee they need to be able to boost the TV rating, speak fluent English and have a significant amount of social media followers and presence. lol this truly is a joke. Such short minded, short sighted thinkers at FFA HQ

Have a listen

https://soundcloud.com/worldfootballau

note: I tried to embed the file on here but it didn't work so I've posted the World of football webpage link instead.

So if you didn't play for the Socceroos or a sizeable Premier League club don't bother.

So Neymar wanted to quit Barca tomorrow and come to the A league, Gallop wouldn't allow it.

Good signing for the Roar looks like within the cap too

Former Socceroo joins Brisbane Roar

Brisbane Roar has announced a major signing coup with the club agreeing to terms on a long-term deal with former Socceroos forward Brett Holman.
Holman brings a wealth of experience to the Roar side, following a lengthy club career in Europe and the Middle East as well as his time in the Green and Gold.

The 32-year-old played 63 times for the Socceroos after debuting against Bahrain in 2006 and scored two goals at the 2010 FIFA World Cup including a 25-yard pile driver against Serbia.

His signing is a huge boost for John Aloisi's squad, joining recent arrivals Thomas Kristensen and Joey Katebian, while the club already has the likes of Jamie Maclaren, Thomas Broich and Tommy Oar in their attacking third.

“Brett is a quality player and exactly what we are looking at bringing into the club,” Aloisi said

"His club career and international careers have been played at the highest standard. His goal against Serbia in the World Cup was stunning.”

Between 2002-2013, Holman played top-division European football in Holland’s Eridivisie and the English Premier League. During his time in Europe, Holman played for high-profile clubs such as AZ Alkmaar (92 appearances, 16 goals) and Aston Villa (27 appearances, 1 goal).

Holman has played in the Middle East with Al Nasr and Emirates Club for the past two seasons, scoring 11 goals in 63 appearances for the two clubs.

Football Director Craig Moore believes Holman will be a strong contributor in Brisbane.

“It is great to get Brett back to Australia where he still has plenty to offer," Moore saidStaff .

Holman will soon join his teammates in preparation for the Hyundai A-League season opener against Melbourne Victory at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, 7 October.

- See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/...thc0ikaiz3t1eqtalxeza5d0#sthash.TSyd10jM.dpuf

Good to see Holman back! A shame Wilkshire has gone back to Russia - would have been another nice addition to the league.

Hes under the cap in the first year and then Marquee in the second. Overpaid IMO and that means both marquees are taken up by Aussies.

Apparently Essien wants to play in the HAL. Would be a good signing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can't get Diamanti over the line as a guest marquee, why would anyone put the time into trying to get Essien? You'd only be wasting your time and embarrassing yourself in front of another player and another player manager... unless the criteria is actually "played for a big English club" (which I suspect it might become.)

If we can't get Diamanti over the line as a guest marquee, why would anyone put the time into trying to get Essien? You'd only be wasting your time and embarrassing yourself in front of another player and another player manager... unless the criteria is actually "played for a big English club" (which I suspect it might become.)
It probably is already.

Whats his social media profile like ?? That was a part of the criteria.

Whether it's fair or no, any top EPL player is much, much more likely to be thought of as a guest than any other league.
Its three most popular league in the world, and the one that any person with a modest football knowledge will recognise players from.
I think Essien would fit the profile tbh, Diamanti was never a well known player.

Has Essien been injury plagued recently? I haven't followed much of his career since he left Chelsea tbh.

Wouldn't mind him at the Jets if he was open to it. :p

Just had a quick look at his wikipedia and he's only made about 15 appearances for 1 goal (albeit he is a midfielder). Doesn't seem too promising though...might be after a payday more than anything.

Well Essien talk to the Jets can probably go on hold - seems we just terminated Scott Miller's (manager) contract lol. :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

A-Leagues & Football Australia General Chat and News Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back