A lottery will not stop tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

The lottery can still favour one team, but one way to avoid that would be if they have say, 3 lotteries with lottery balls in there . . . and then your team get the number from each lottery and average it up and the picks go in order of highest number. They should do this once per round. This will even out any bad/good luck and the lottery won't drastically favour any single team.

If the AFL maintains that if a team only wins 16 or less premiership points in each of 2 consecutive years, is then guaranteed a priority selection at pick 1 in the draft at the end of the second year, then a lottery system will do nothing to stop the Carlton tanking version of rds 12-22 last year.

So you are happy for a 12-10 team getting the first pick?
Molly

You could argue that 10th and 11th got the best 2 players in the last 2 drafts in Selwood and Palmer.

Heres the thing with tanking.

Its not about the coaches or the teams its about the fans.

Teams will play kids,try new positions and send players for early surgery anyway. Even if there wasn't a draft.

But a fan should be able to want his team to win no matter what.

If there was lottery and your team is in last place but if they win their last 2 games they'll finish 13th.

Then as a fan you can say F#$K it I want to win these last 2 games because we can still get pick 1 and we most likely wouldnt have got it anyway.

Instead of going from pick 1 for sure to pick 4 for sure you go from a 20% chance to a 12% chance. Id take the 2 wins and the confidence u get from it.

The draft itself is a lottery anyway, but if you have one at least you can support your team and not worry that its going to cost you alot.

Let's start ANOTHER thread on lotteries and tanking. Just what the world needs. :rolleyes:

The ONLY reason why a team might consider tanking is to receive a priority pick.

A priority pick = 1 more 17 year old gun.
But it doesn't really matter whether your team gets pick 1,2,3,4 or 5
No point losing games just so we can draft Bryce Gibbs instead Joel Selwood

Demetriou: please scrap the priority pick, so we can put an end to all this "tanking" horseshit

what he said.........and what i said in one of the other 10 threads going around on this BS. Scrap the priority pick altogether.

If there's an incentive to receive the top 2, or 2 of the top 3 picks (as Carlton did last year), then the suspicion of tanking will always exist.

I hear so much about how a draft lottery similar to the NBA will stop tanking, yet if we take the NBA as the evidence it wont. Teams tank just as much and it is in fact openly excepted and expected that a team should tank.

The lottery ensures that tanking wont always pay off but it wont stop teams from doing it. Another system is needed if we are to stop the practice.

the only thing accurate about this post is that it won't stop tanking.

mainly because there is precious little real evidence that tanking has ever existed.

people use all sorts of different definitions to try and create the illusion that tanking is a problem.

the only real genuine issue is to allay fears of tanking, to make sure the perceptions are clean. and a lottery will do that PERFECTLY.

Huh? That makes very little sense.

If teams tank now in the AFL for one player, why would they not tank in a lottery. Coming last still means you have a greater chance than 9th of the number 1 pick. So if you are coming 10th you may as well aim for 16th and have more balls in the lottery.

Thats what they do in the NBA!

2 wrongs don't make a right.

Fair enough. But if you are weighting the draft, purely under the lottery (no need to look at compared to the old system as its gone anyway) system, you are still better off tanking (surgery, kids, etc,etc) as you have more balls and players that are ready for the next year and kids that have played games!
Molly

thanks. you have just shown what is wrong with the simplistic and naive talk about tanking.

those things are not tanking. the state of a teams affairs are on a continuous plane, not a a discreet one off. you manage your team for the best long term and short term benefit. getting games into your kids, and not delaying surgery for stars once its clear that the season is over for you is GOOD MANAGEMENT.

flogging a dead horse is not good management. it's the way all sports have been for years, only now we have some illinformed kids screaming "tanking" all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate the idea of a lottery. What if your team just ____ing sucks balls and you get pick 8, 3 years in a row even though you've won 3 spoons.
you realise the odds of that are astronomically low, I'd be surprised to see it in a thousand years of footy. they are just as likely to finish ninth the following 3 yrs and get 3 number 1 picks! Yes you can get unlucky, but you are just as likely to get lucky, so over the years it evens out. Luck in sport is part what makes it enjoyable, fate always has a hand in your results why not in you draft spot?

I just think that a draft lottery plus the removal of priority picks would make tanking a silly idea and indeed talk of tanking would be dismissed, which would be good for the game all round.

how can you say it's a problem when you don't know, or can't agree what it is?

Thank you! You just made my point! Finally someone understands! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Some people say it is what I would Call List Management (i.e. surgury, retiring guys early, playing kids) and some say it is losing games on purpose (but not because of the effects of list management).

You have to say what your trying to stop. If you agree with me tanking is losing on purpose (etc,etc), then I don't think it goes on at all and definitely not at this point in the season!

Molly

It will stop tanking because no matter how high you finish now could end up with pick 1 and if you finish last you could end up with pick 16 so teams wont want to risk that and just play to win the ywhole time

thanks. you have just shown what is wrong with the simplistic and naive talk about tanking.

those things are not tanking. the state of a teams affairs are on a continuous plane, not a a discreet one off. you manage your team for the best long term and short term benefit. getting games into your kids, and not delaying surgery for stars once its clear that the season is over for you is GOOD MANAGEMENT.

flogging a dead horse is not good management. it's the way all sports have been for years, only now we have some illinformed kids screaming "tanking" all the time.

Some call that tanking, I personally don't. If you mean tanking is dropping games on purpose (not games lost through "GOOD MANAGEMENT") then there is already rules in place for that and its Match Fixing. It also isn't provable and doesn't happen!

If you are worried that it happens, kill the Priority Pick and it stops teams losing on purpose!
Molly

Some call that tanking, I personally don't. If you mean tanking is dropping games on purpose (not games lost through "GOOD MANAGEMENT") then there is already rules in place for that and its Match Fixing. It also isn't provable and doesn't happen!

no, not really sure where you get match fixing from. playing your kids, and getting guys in for surgery when they need it, not when it suits you isn't match fixing.

I don't thinking tanking exists, but the myth of tanking does.

If you are worried that it happens, kill the Priority Pick and it stops teams losing on purpose!
Molly

to stop teams losing on purpose you would first have to show that they ever did! :p

Thank you! You just made my point! Finally someone understands! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Some people say it is what I would Call List Management (i.e. surgury, retiring guys early, playing kids) and some say it is losing games on purpose (but not because of the effects of list management).

You have to say what your trying to stop. If you agree with me tanking is losing on purpose (etc,etc), then I don't think it goes on at all and definitely not at this point in the season!

Molly

OK, maybe I have misunderstood you.

Fair play, my bad

I can see the blues being in the top 4 and receiving the #1 pick in a lottery :p

wouldn't hell just break loose :D:cool:

A lottery won't stop tanking, but it is a damn sight better than what we have now.

Only the teams placed 9-16 enter.

Only the first three or four drawn from the barrel.

No priority picks.

Simple. Make it so.

Remove this Banner Ad

A lottery will not stop tanking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back