• Saints

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • Kangaroos

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminder to all:
  • Visiting other team boards to troll is not tolerated (here or elsewhere)
  • Do not respond to trolls - it just makes our cleanup job harder. Report and ignore please.
  • Do not post identifiable screenshots of profiles or posts here for the sake of mockery
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about some of your claims in this post. I agree with you that Clarkson has acted unprofessionally (yet again) and let his emotions boil over (yet again). He has plenty of form in this regard...
  • fined numerous times by the AFL for potting the umpires in his post-match press conferences.
  • abusing & threatening Matty Lloyd after Brad Sewell was KO'd in 2009
  • berating numerous footy journos behind the scenes with foul-mouthed tirades (he aint Robinson Crusoe, in this regard)
  • ignoring the directions from an over-officious ground manager at his kid's Under 9's game and then calling the guy "a dickhead"
  • berating Gillon McLachlan in Gill's own home during the annual AFL coaches conference :oops:
  • giving the outgoing Hawks CEO, Ian Robson a foul-mouthed send-off once he'd learned Robson had quit his post and had taken the CEO job at Essendon
  • Punching a hole through the plaster of the MCG coaches box after the Hawks conceded a goal in time-on.
  • Taking a swing at a pair of Port nuffies who had followed him back to the team hotel and were trying to goad him and film it on their iphone.
Not sure why you think any of this stuff was "covered up"... It's the exact opposite!!! :D The media rub their hands together with glee whenever Clarkson loses his s**t and makes a prick of himself... His off-the-cuff outbursts become a week long media event with saturation coverage. Some of those aforementioned stories actually went beyond the usual 7-day news cycle and lasted 2-3 weeks with nearly EVERYONE in the media lining up to have their say and to criticise him.

The journos would reprint his list of transgressions at every opportunity (like I've done above)

I don't think Clarkson has any friends in the media aside from Garry Lyon and Jason Dunstall. He hates the media. Even on his good days, he gives them nothing. So it never surprises me to see a big media pile-on whenever he gets himself into trouble.

Furthermore, the AFL's investigation into Hawks racism accusations went nowhere due to a lack of evidence - neither the players, their partners nor the accused were willing to talk with the AFL investigators once it became apparent that everyone had "lawyered up" and the matter was headed for the courts and/or the Human Rights Commission.

Some might say the AFL were happy to "sweep it under the carpet". Not sure if that's true either. The AFL have taken a pretty strong stance on racism, homophobia and various social issues. Even if there were friendships at stake, I doubt these personal relationships would effect the AFL's response.

e.g. Matty Rendell was a well-liked person within the AFL at club level. He was one of the respected good guys...But when he warned we weren't doing enough to help indigenous kids from remote communities to assimilate to AFL city life, he also made a hyperbolic (racist) comment that maybe it was better not to draft them. Too risky. He said it was probably a better bet to focus on the white suburban kids from good homes. The context of what he said didn't matter. Once the AFL got wind of this comments, they demanded the Crows sack him immediately. That was the end of Rendell's 30 year involvement in the VFL/AFL. Ruthless.

Why the hell would the AFL "fix" anything for Clarkson or Fagan? Sure, their main priority is to protect the AFL "brand" and maximise their corporate sponsorship revenues. The last thing the AFL wants to see is ugly headlines about racism at club level. But the Hawks racism story was already huge news out in the public domain. How could they "sweep it under the rug" ??? That would be shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

You said it's time for Clarkson to be moved on. You might be right. But you say it as though he is an honorary AFL ambassador or the Chairman of the All Australian committee. That somehow his AFL privileges need to be revoked... He is the North Melbourne coach, for god's sake! Surely, it's up to the North directors to decide if it's time he moved on... And I reckon they'll base that decision on his job performance. It's not up to the AFL to tell clubs who can or can't coach their players. They can fine him, or they can suspend him if they feel it's warranted.

None of my post above is a defence of Clarkson and his poor behaviour. I just don't go along with your take that he is somehow being "looked after" by the AFL boy's club. He has been fined plenty of times by the AFL for his trangressions (huge fines). The media has also hung him out to dry numerous times by sensationalising some of the stories and pillorying him, but they've gone much softer on other coaches who've done some similar things.

FNMJx8zXsAM2Eiq.jpg

IuglEW2.gif
How many weeks do you think a Scott Pendlebury or Patrick Dangerfield type would have received?

Thus far Consistency and the MRO have been a contradiction in terms.
We will see, I guess.
I will reserve judgement until a Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, or Richmond player does similar and gets a reduced sentence. The precedent has been sent...let's see if the equality of the precedent is the same for all.
I'm not holding my breath.

Rewatch the Hunter Clark - Mackay incident that broke Clark's jaw and stuffed his season. No penalty for Mackay. A different type of incident admittedly but we always seem to be on the wrong end of controversial decisions. Never underestimate the power of the media. The ex-player media hacks at the time were all pushing for Mackay to get off.
That was f*cking farcical. The media beating it up as an "inspirational team lifting act."
F*cking joke.

Not sure about some of your claims in this post. I agree with you that Clarkson has acted unprofessionally (yet again) and let his emotions boil over (yet again). He has plenty of form in this regard...
  • fined numerous times by the AFL for potting the umpires in his post-match press conferences.
  • berating numerous footy journos behind the scenes with foul-mouthed tirades (he aint Robinson Crusoe, in this regard)
  • ignoring the directions from an over-officious ground manager at his kid's Under 9's game and then calling the guy "a dickhead"
  • berating Gillon McLachlan in Gill's own home during the annual AFL coaches conference :oops:
  • giving the outgoing Hawks CEO, Ian Robson a foul-mouthed send-off once he'd learned Robson had quit his post and had taken the CEO job at Essendon
  • Punching a hole through the plaster of the MCG coaches box after the Hawks conceded a goal in time-on.
  • Taking a swing at a pair of Port nuffies who had followed him back to the team hotel and were trying to goad him and film it on their iphone.
Not sure why you think any of this stuff was "covered up"... It's the exact opposite!!! :D The media rub their hands together with glee whenever Clarkson loses his s**t and makes a prick of himself... His off-the-cuff outbursts become a week long media event with saturation coverage. Some of those aforementioned stories actually went beyond the usual 7-day news cycle and lasted 2-3 weeks with nearly EVERYONE in the media lining up to have their say and to criticise him.

The journos would reprint his list of transgressions at every opportunity (like I've done above)

I don't think Clarkson has any friends in the media aside from Garry Lyon and Jason Dunstall. He hates the media. Even on his good days, he gives them nothing. So it never surprises me to see a big media pile-on whenever he gets himself into trouble.

Furthermore, the AFL's investigation into Hawks racism accusations went nowhere due to a lack of evidence - neither the players, their partners nor the accused were willing to talk with the AFL investigators once it became apparent that everyone had "lawyered up" and the matter was headed for the courts and/or the Human Rights Commission.

Some might say the AFL were happy to "sweep it under the carpet". Not sure if that's true either. The AFL have taken a pretty strong stance on racism, homophobia and various social issues. Even if there were friendships at stake, I doubt these personal relationships would effect the AFL's response.

e.g. Matty Rendell was a well-liked person within the AFL at club level. He was one of the respected good guys...But when he warned we weren't doing enough to help indigenous kids from remote communities to assimilate to AFL city life, he also made a hyperbolic (racist) comment that maybe it was better not to draft them. Too risky. He said it was probably a better bet to focus on the white suburban kids from good homes. The context of what he said didn't matter. Once the AFL got wind of this comments, they demanded the Crows sack him immediately. That was the end of Rendell's 30 year involvement in the VFL/AFL. Ruthless.

Why the hell would the AFL "fix" anything for Clarkson or Fagan? Sure, their main priority is to protect the AFL "brand" and maximise their corporate sponsorship revenues. The last thing the AFL wants to see is ugly headlines about racism at club level. But the Hawks racism story was already huge news out in the public domain. How could they "sweep it under the rug" ??? That would be shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

You said it's time for Clarkson to be moved on. You might be right. But you say it as though he is an honorary AFL ambassador or the Chairman of the All Australian committee. That somehow his AFL privileges need to be revoked... He is the North Melbourne coach, for god's sake! Surely, it's up to the North directors to decide if it's time he moved on... And I reckon they'll base that decision on his job performance. It's not up to the AFL to tell clubs who can or can't coach their players. They can fine him, or they can suspend him if they feel it's warranted.

None of my post above is a defence of Clarkson and his poor behaviour. I just don't go along with your take that he is somehow being "looked after" by the AFL boy's club. He has been fined plenty of times by the AFL for his trangressions (huge fines). The media has also hung him out to dry numerous times by sensationalising some of the stories and pillorying him, but they've gone much softer on other coaches who've done some similar things.
Covered up , it had to be reported on no doubt - but why is he still coaching.
To me anyone else would of been gone long ago.
You must admit.

Anyway great post Back one out.

I’m still salty about the McKay one but I recall a stack of saints supporters saying McKay was fine and should have been cleared so ****ed if I know.
He took his head off at full speed with his shoulder. Yes, the situation was different, but there was intent and high contact. Two weeks for mine, if not three. Benny Long gets rubbed out for what "might" have happened.
This DID happen.
Anyway, I'll stop there.

The 7 weeks isn't really a surprise. That hit was an absolute shocker, one of the worst I can remember seeing. Given the current climate around concussion he was always going to have to take his medicine. Something like 10 would have felt overs, this feels fair to me.

It was one of the dumbest things you'll see but he will do his time and hopefully can come back and contribute. We will really miss him.

Hopefully Simpkin can go on but wouldn't be surprised if he's done, has had a lot of concussions. A bloody shame but that's not all on Jimmy.
It just puts pressure on the team with selfish dumb acts like that. It was totally avoidable.

I don’t think he is capable TBH. Best example of that was when Bruest was kicking goal after goal on Webster last year and Ross still chose to leave Jimmy on him instead of going with Stocker or anyone else. Hopefully the silver lining will be finding our next lockdown defender.
You are lengths in front of the pack for the general negativity award this year.

GIF by Giphy QA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly thought he'd get 7
I dont think anyone is surprised he got 7 as the majority of AFL fans want to see change and want the AFL to start to take concussion and head high hits more seriously ... problem is the AFL don't as they hand out reduced or no suspensions at all to high profile players and meekly bow to the demands of high profile clubs ...... and the Media

The MRO's inconsistency is breathtaking in its sheer audacity to wave away certain serious incidents and come down hard on others ..... often setting a flaky precedent after clearing particular players of wrongdoing when clearly they should be suspended or just making shite up as they go .... Ben Long's "potential to cause injury" .... not sure we have seen that one since

If the Jimmy hit was a high profile player in Finals contention it would not have got anything more than 2 weeks maximum .... outside of Finals contention maybe 3 or maybe zero (could see Collingwood arguing that Simpkin slipped into the path of Maynard and the MRO with a fist bump wink) .... and therein lies a huge issue ...... rules for some ... and different rules for others

Last edited:
I will reserve judgement until a Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, or Richmond player does similar and gets a reduced sentence. The precedent has been sent...let's see if the equality of the precedent is the same for all.
I'm not holding my breath.
The afl doesn't have precedent it has bias

Webster isn't part of the cool kids club, so he didn't get the cool kids club discount.

And he transgressed at the worst time i.e. when AFL is looking to scapegoat somebody for head high bumps.

So he got scapegoated with an inflated penalty.

I don't like it, but this is how the world works.

It may take a season or two, but at some point a cool kids club member will KO somebody with a head high bump.

He won't get seven weeks for it.

If he plays for Collingwood and it is the week before the Grand Final, he may even get off scot free.

We follow a glorified bush league, folks.

Webster isn't part of the cool kids club, so he didn't get the cool kids club discount.

And he transgressed at the worst time i.e. when AFL is looking to scapegoat somebody for head high bumps.

So he got scapegoated with an inflated penalty.

I don't like it, but this is how the world works.

It may take a season or two, but at some point a cool kids club member will KO somebody with a head high bump.

He won't get seven weeks for it.

If he plays for Collingwood and it is the week before the Grand Final, he may even get off scot free.

We follow a glorified bush league, folks.
All the AFL players and clubs knew that the next head-high incident after SPP's charge, would be a big penalty, and so what does Webster do... Wake up mate!

L

Zero weeks for Danger
when was that? last year. only can go on how the AFL and tribunal think this year. and so far, 2 head knocks. 1 got 4 weeks. jimmy's was alot worse, he got 7. Wait till the next one and then start complaining.

I fully expected Webster to cop 6 to 8 weeks after what we've heard over the pre season and the bar they set with SPP.

Just a bizzare and stupid decision from Webster. Doubt he will do it again and that's why the ban is there.

It had been a subject in the media already, and Jimmy timed it ( both in the game and in the calendar ) terribly.
6 Weeks was probably what it should have been, but given the peasants waving burning torches and pitchforks and demanding 10, i can see why it was pushed up to 7.
Not a StKilda thing, more a general timing thing.

Autopsy AAMI Community Series, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Back