Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simmo copping the blame for the list management and S&C failings.

Agree and furthermore, Nisbett is the one who should be squarely in the firing line for those two fails as both these roles report to him.

Agree and furthermore, Nisbett is the one who should be squarely in the firing line for those two fails as both these roles report to him.

But I have it on good authority that all football-related departments report to the senior coach.

The discussion between Whately and Duffield was fair and measured. It comes as no surprise because all season Duffield has been quite pragmatic on the coaching position at WCE as well as the broader challenges and performance of the club. He’s a fair commentator that also avoids straying into cheerleader territory or just kicking the club when they’re down without looking at why

Now, with that said

One thing that struck me was the comment that they have enough information now to make a decision and the next two weeks won’t change that. On face value that’s fair but it appears the the derby loss has moved the narrative when a season of poor results hadn’t - at least not from the club

The reason given for the renewed urgency centred on the prospect of an including Simpson in the big farewell against Adelaide. To me farewells for someone who’s just been sacked seem awkward, not least for the sacked coach

I would have thought the right approach would be to spend a week or two post season assessing what has happened and to plan the best path moving forward. And whether Simpson, among others, is the best person to implement that plan. Making a decision in the next few days to appease a noisy media seems unnecessarily rushed

Adam Simpson, despite two and a bit years of poor results, deserves the opportunity to put his case as to why he should keep his job free if the demands of the weekly match day cycle. He has been the face of the club throughout this and the one always standing in front of the media to answer questions. Not once has Fitzpatrick or Nisbett held an open press conference.

I’m not saying he’s automatically the best person for the job. He may not be but the plan was for him to see us through the rebuild although nobody would’ve have expected the club to have sunk this low. That we have means a reevaluation is required

A decision needs to be made on what’s best for the club but it doesn’t need to be made this week or next

As for the payout and the associated soft cap tax, I agree with the discussion that it won’t be anywhere near as high as a sensationalist media have suggested and also that the AFL will be open to a negotiation on the calculation of the tax.

The board need to do their due diligence and thoroughly evaluate the pros and cons of continuing with Simpson versus replacing him. And that analysis has to be done in conjunction with a broader view with what is needed across the football department as a whole

Personally, I hope he stays as I think that whilst he’s made mistakes he’s also had one hand tied behind his back due to the unprecedented injury toll of the last two years
I am reading between the lines of Duff's comments and Gossage this morning, who said that questions had been raised this week by some influential people at the club, and I wonder if the catalysts of this week's speculation are club sponsors, who are worried about tainting their brand?.... just a thought.

And the actual interview

The guy keeps fronting up, gotta respect that

Thought Joey Montagna spoke really well when asked about Simmo tonight on 360.

He said he thinks Simmons deserves a run at it next year.
If can keep Gov, Barras, Ryan etc on the park with a new batch of kids, we will improve.

Whether or not you agree with his opinion, was just nice to get a balanced opinion put forward without all of the hype that's been happening lately.

I'll try and find a clip.

I wanted to get a bit of a look back at the list and where it was when he took over at the end of 2013 and it's fairly different compared to where he is at to now.

There was only 2x 200+ game players on the list.
There was 21 players who had played 50 games of less.
And there was only 4 players from the previous premiership in 2006.

Including the 3x retirees from this year it's..

6x who have played 200+ games
26x players who have played less than 50 games.
12x who are still on the list from the previous premiership.

I think we are still 1-2 seasons away from being in a position like we were in 2014. with more players retiring/leaving and bringing in players through trades and drafting.
In some ways I feel it's harsh to judge him on a list that is in a significant transition while at the same time crippled through injury.
I'd let his contract run to 2025 and see where the list is at and how the rest of the depts are running ie. S&C, Player Development, List Management etc.

It's been a pretty rough year in terms of injuries and having to field half a WAFL team in the AFL most weeks, and I can't imagine any coach anywhere could've done much in those circumstances, but maybe it's time for change and a new voice/new gameplan etc might be what we need. Plus, despite him saying he isn't, Simmo seems exhausted, so maybe it'll be good for him to move on as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Joey Montagna spoke really well when asked about Simmo tonight on 360.

He said he thinks Simmons deserves a run at it next year.
If can keep Gov, Barras, Ryan etc on the park with a new batch of kids, we will improve.

Whether or not you agree with his opinion, was just nice to get a balanced opinion put forward without all of the hype that's been happening lately.

I'll try and find a clip.
Forgot to add.

He thinks the clubs is in transition and it wouldn't be a great time for a new coach to come in next year.

If there is no vast improvement next two year by some mythical coach. I'm calling for his sacking right away.

The simmo and Worsfold precendt has been set. Expect a top four finish within first two years or else.

I'm not swallowing a five year worst coaching record pill.

We must not lower standards

When Trev exits stage left what happens to Toddy?

I hope his work at the Club would be assessed and appraised on its merit.
If he is doing a good job, then he is kept on in the job, if he is not meeting the standards then he is moved on, no different to any other employee.

The fact that Trev is his father, should have zero bearing on his future employment at the Club.

One thing I will say and it maybe coincidence, but since he first came to prominence in the recruiting team a few years ago, I think our drafting has improved, as I said is it a coincidence or are the two related.

Last edited:
If he is doing a good job, then he is kept on in the job, if he is not meeting the standards then he is moved on, no different to any other employee.

The fact that Trev is his father, should have zero bearing on his future employment at the Club.

One thing I will say and it maybe coincidence, but since he first came to prominence in the recruiting team a few years ago, I think our drafting has improved, as I said is it a coincidence or are the two related.
Yep it was a cheeky remark rather than a genuine question

I'm sure the club is professional enough to approach as you have suggested

What kind of cooked s**t is a farewell game for a coach lel

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I actually quite like the idea. The message it sends to the comp is that as a club (supporters included) we treat our people with respect and loyalty. Helps in getting the right people in the door in the future.
If the club and Simpson can respectfully make a decision that its not in the best interests of the club (or Simmo) to continue, I can't see why it can't happen. And as a premiership winning coach, he deserves acknowledgement, regardless of the current state of play. Sheedy got one, so it isn't completely unheard of.

If there is no vast improvement next two year by some mythical coach. I'm calling for his sacking right away.

The simmo and Worsfold precendt has been set. Expect a top four finish within first two years or else.

I'm not swallowing a five year worst coaching record pill.

We must not lower standards

West Coast's biggest losses
171 points - v Sydney, R15, 2023
142 - v Essendon, R15, 1989
135 - v Geelong, R13, 2008
130 - v Sydney, R16, 1987
122 - v Adelaide, R13, 2023
119 - v Carlton, R10, 2001
116 - v Hawthorn, R10, 2023
112 - v Port Adelaide, R22, 2001
109 - v Richmond, R7, 2022
108 - v Carlton, R7 2023
101 - v Fremantle, R22, 2023
101 - v Western Bulldogs, R11, 2022

Not adding 5 games a year to this list would be an improvement

Does anyone know his credentials to warrant recruitment in what is a highly desirable job?

Who would want to be a senior coach if you are not able to have input on who you draft and what type of player you want moving forward, because everything i read the list is decided by recruiting team and list manager, and has nothing to do with the coach, which seems to give him an out when we play poorly or the players are not up to it.

Nothing really new although there still does seem to be some conjecture over the payout figure.

West Coast to consider sacking Adam Simpson after two horror seasons​

Adam Simpson is under mounting pressure to remain West Coast coach beyond the next two weeks after a disastrous derby loss put pressure on Eagles powerbrokers to act.

Jon Ralph

West Coast are strongly considering dipping into their vast reservoirs to pay out Adam Simpson’s contract in a move that could cost the club up to $6 million.
The club’s 2018 premiership coach Simpson is aware of the board’s strong shift away from him in recent days as it prepares for a decision on his future in the next fortnight.

West Coast’s disastrous loss to Fremantle changed the equation for Simpson, who had been told if he limited massive losses he would be backed through the long and dark rebuild.

But the West Coast board, which includes Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett as well as former Australian Test coach Justin Langer, will decide Simpson’s fate.

That decision will likely come at the end of the season.
The Eagles take on the Western Bulldogs (at Marvel Stadium) and then Adelaide at home on Saturday week, closely followed by the club’s best and fairest award.

It will give the board some clean air to consider the cost of sacking Simpson and the next steps if they do make that monumental decision.
Former Collingwood president Eddie McGuire first revealed on Footy Classified the impending decision on Simpson’s future on Wednesday night.
Simpson’s manager Shane Casley told the Herald Sun earlier this year the long-term Eagles coach would not walk away and was committed to being part of the club’s rebuild.

He confirmed he had a contract all the way to 2025, which the Herald Sun understands to be just short of $1 million a season.
Under the AFL’s harsh luxury tax for its football departments, the Eagles could pay up to $4 million in tax to sack Simpson.
Under those rules clubs if clubs spend more than $500,000 over the football department cap in any given season they are slugged with a 200 per cent tax.
If a club goes over the cap by $500,000 in a second season, they are hit with a 300 per cent tax.

So spreading $2 million of football department overspend over two seasons would not help the Eagles.
West Coast recorded an astonishing $7.4 million profit in 2021 and while that profit slumped to $3.5 million last season the club’s revenue topped $80 million.
Simpson has made clear he is not prepared to walk away without being paid in full, and his deteriorating relationship with Nisbett is unlikely to change that scenario.

The former North Melbourne premiership star has financial obligations in Perth including two Hungry Jacks franchises, so he would not be in a position to walk away from those future earnings.

Alastair Clarkson was paid out $900,000 _ which the Hawks split over two seasons _ when he moved on from Hawthorn with a single season on his contract.
In an ideal world Simpson would secure immediate employment as a senior coach elsewhere, which would lessen the financial burden for West Coast because it could lessen their overall payout.

But Simpson and his young family are firmly entrenched in Perth and are unlikely to move in the short term for him to chase another coaching contract.
Simpson’s coaching lieutenant Daniel Pratt, a former Brisbane and North Melbourne player, had already been informed he would move on if Simpson stayed so some fresh blood could be injected into the coaching panel.

Simpson’s critics believe he had too few assistants who confronted him with new ideas, with claims the club has not embraced innovation or cutting-edge tactics until this season when it tried to instil a new game plan.

The AFL won’t want the WC shiteshow to continue, so expect a decent waiving of any soft cap penalty.

Would assume the soft cap intention is not to bash a club, albeit a wealthy club, that is historically one of the worst of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back