Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would want to be a senior coach if you are not able to have input on who you draft and what type of player you want moving forward, because everything i read the list is decided by recruiting team and list manager, and has nothing to do with the coach, which seems to give him an out when we play poorly or the players are not up to it.

I would not be believing that, the coach of the club would have a huge say in the type of player he needs to implement his game plan. People who ghink the coach has little say have no idea at all.

If Simmo is also involved with two Hungry Jacks franchises, doesn't that seem over-reach for a footy coach, like a conflict of interests or too much going on to fully focus on footy? I guess franchises run themselves and he probably has an appointed manager/bean counter to take care of it. Footy players also have side businesses.

If Simmo is also involved with two Hungry Jacks franchises, doesn't that seem over-reach for a footy coach, like a conflict of interests or too much going on to fully focus on footy? I guess franchises run themselves and he probably has an appointed manager/bean counter to take care of it. Footy players also have side businesses.

Yeah I think you answered your own question. I doubt he is flipping burgers

EDIT: I also doubt he is even a manager. He’d just have a financial interest and would need to attend a meeting every month or so to meet due diligence requirements for WHS, Financial considerations etc.

Last edited:
The AFL won’t want the WC shiteshow to continue, so expect a decent waiving of any soft cap penalty.

Would assume the soft cap intention is not to bash a club, albeit a wealthy club, that is historically one of the worst of all time.

The cap is more designed to hamstring performance advantage over administration stuff ups for sure, but you watch the same media screaming for Simmos head to spend 12 months crying about the AFL letting off the richest club in the land.

It'll be spun into a story about how we hate the AFLW because we didn't pay our tax that could've boosted the women's salary cap or something else equally ridiculous.

Who would want to be a senior coach if you are not able to have input on who you draft and what type of player you want moving forward, because everything i read the list is decided by recruiting team and list manager, and has nothing to do with the coach, which seems to give him an out when we play poorly or the players are not up to it.
The senior coach does have input.

He also tells the LM what type of player he wants.
I'm also sure that if the senior coach was adamant about trying to get a certain player, they would try and get it done.

The senior coach doesn't have time to go through all of the draftee's etc.
You have to let the LM do his job.

I would not be believing that, the coach of the club would have a huge say in the type of player he needs to implement his game plan. People who ghink the coach has little say have no idea at all.
Having had this chat with one current AFL coach and one recently former coach (plus a couple of assistants), albeit when they were all assistant coaches, they clearly have a say and you would think it is largely respected. But they don't make the final decisions and may not even specify actual players (although I guess that varies). Rather, as you said, they specify types they are looking for and what the playing group needs etc. We used to bring up former players/current coaches to Vietnam for the grand final and this was always a question that would get circulation. One of them actually said that the coach has less say than you would think. But that may have been in that particular clubs situation at the time and what that actually meant is obviously open to interpretation.

Having had this chat with one current AFL coach and one recently former coach (plus a couple of assistants), albeit when they were all assistant coaches, they clearly have a say and you would think it is largely respected. But they don't make the final decisions and may not even specify actual players (although I guess that varies). Rather, as you said, they specify types they are looking for and what the playing group needs etc. We used to bring up former players/current coaches to Vietnam for the grand final and this was always a question that would get circulation. One of them actually said that the coach has less say than you would think. But that may have been in that particular clubs situation at the time and what that actually meant is obviously open to interpretation.

One would think the Senior coach, List Management and recruiting people would have a great deal of meetings where the coach stipulates the type of game plan he wishes to play, the types of players he will need to implement such a plan.
i highly doubt if the senior coach is chasing a Key forward that the recruiting and list management team then go and recruit a Key Back or a small outside mid. There is no way in hell that a senior coach is going to accept a role as the king coach and have no say in who he gets to play for him.
Just doesn't work that way, it may have been tried at some clubs but obviously those coaches must of been puppets.

Lots of short memories around.

Our year was well & truly stuffed early on due to a never before seen amount of injuries.

Once it became obvious that we didn't have a hope in hell of getting anywhere near finals then it becomes a question of how best to salvage something from the year. Games into youngsters (well, whoever was available really) and pick 1 became the priority. Wouldn't be surprised if that approach was signed off at the Board level.

For those suggesting the 100-point loss to the Dockers is some sort of tipping point, if the objective is pick 1 then job done. It's not easy to manage margins, so whether it's a 20-point loss or 100 doesn't really matter. Apparent from a few bruised supporter egos.

If anything, Simpson has sacrificed his own record for the long-term good of the club and has fronted up & copped the brunt of the criticism himself.

I wonder with the deafening silence by the club if they’ve already decided and are now working with the afl re the soft cap tax. If they can get some concessions for the payout they’ll go ahead and announce it.
Otherwise it gets trickier and further consideration is required after the seasons end. Such as a complete budget overhaul and an analysis of the impact on the rest of the football dept over a couple of years.

I am reading between the lines of Duff's comments and Gossage this morning, who said that questions had been raised this week by some influential people at the club, and I wonder if the catalysts of this week's speculation are club sponsors, who are worried about tainting their brand?.... just a thought.
Audi centre and HJs will be loving their logos plastered in print and on screens forever when discussing worst ever teams/seasons/performances. Money talks and they won't like being in this position... that said there are probably other companies lining up to get into bed with us??? Just not right now

Our year was well & truly stuffed early on due to a never before seen amount of injuries.

Once it became obvious that we didn't have a hope in hell of getting anywhere near finals then it becomes a question of how best to salvage something from the year. Games into youngsters (well, whoever was available really) and pick 1 became the priority. Wouldn't be surprised if that approach was signed off at the Board level.

For those suggesting the 100-point loss to the Dockers is some sort of tipping point, if the objective is pick 1 then job done. It's not easy to manage margins, so whether it's a 20-point loss or 100 doesn't really matter. Apparent from a few bruised supporter egos.

If anything, Simpson has sacrificed his own record for the long-term good of the club and has fronted up & copped the brunt of the criticism himself.

We all like Adam, whats not to like? He comes across as a ripper guy who is a good family man etc.
But you simply can't ignore that since the flag in 2018 the footy side of things which he is in charge of have spiralled down at a rate of knots. As the senior coach it was up to him to keep the players focused and committed to the job at hand during Covid, he didn't achieve that and in fact made excuse after excuse why his players were not putting in. Since Covid it has gone from bad to worse and all under his watch as the senior coach. Still to this very day the senior players put in 100% rarely and are simply picking up a pay cheque. As Adam is to be honest as he has not addressed the issues he has in the group.
Yes it's a far bigger picture than just Adam and that will also be addressed I am sure going forward but he is the senior coach and at best from 2019 until this minute as a coach it would be hard to rate much higher than a 3 out of 10.

Sure. The worst season on record was a completely stage managed event.

That weirdly looks like costing a whole heap of people their jobs. But you keep believing that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still to this very day the senior players put in 100% rarely and are simply picking up a pay cheque.

Dunno how many senior players this applies to.

The problem with a lot of them - Shuey, Hurn, Yeo, Gov etc - has been that they regularly put in 110%, get injured and miss a month.

We all like Adam, whats not to like? He comes across as a ripper guy who is a good family man etc.
But you simply can't ignore that since the flag in 2018 the footy side of things which he is in charge of have spiralled down at a rate of knots. As the senior coach it was up to him to keep the players focused and committed to the job at hand during Covid, he didn't achieve that and in fact made excuse after excuse why his players were not putting in. Since Covid it has gone from bad to worse and all under his watch as the senior coach. Still to this very day the senior players put in 100% rarely and are simply picking up a pay cheque. As Adam is to be honest as he has not addressed the issues he has in the group.
Yes it's a far bigger picture than just Adam and that will also be addressed I am sure going forward but he is the senior coach and at best from 2019 until this minute as a coach it would be hard to rate much higher than a 3 out of 10.
Covid hit us harder than any other club, no doubt. Our blokes simply didn't adapt to hub life, most likely driven by a high proportion of them having young families.

Post 2018 certainly saw a drop in intensity & effort & hunger which was incredibly frustrating given we had 3 club favourites who missed out in 2018. So yes, 2019 was incredibly disappointing, especially given the home loss to Hawthorn in the final round cost us top 4. What could have been. 2020 covid hit and the rest is history....

The club, the coach, the players, etc were simply not given the opportunity to right the wrongs in 2023 given the injury toll.

Covid hit us harder than any other club, no doubt. Our blokes simply didn't adapt to hub life, most likely driven by a high proportion of them having young families.

Post 2018 certainly saw a drop in intensity & effort & hunger which was incredibly frustrating given we had 3 club favourites who missed out in 2018. So yes, 2019 was incredibly disappointing, especially given the home loss to Hawthorn in the final round cost us top 4. What could have been. 2020 covid hit and the rest is history....

The club, the coach, the players, etc were simply not given the opportunity to right the wrongs in 2023 given the injury toll.
And the sOft tissue injuries all from bad management of the fitness and conditioning coaches.

The problem with a lot of them - Shuey, Hurn, Yeo, Gov etc - has been that they regularly put in 110%, get injured and miss a month.

Maybe put in 100% is the wrong wording, they have far to many days off where they don't play consistantly well. Darling the number one here. Has a great day and then is not sighted for over a month. But this applies to TK, Sheed, Duggan, Gaff, Cripps, etc. Injuries don't help but I honestly don't think they are getting themselves fit. They might think they are fit but I reckon they are well below the fitness of counterparts from other clubs who play in same areas.

Maybe put in 100% is the wrong wording, they have far to many days off where they don't play consistantly well. Darling the number one here. Has a great day and then is not sighted for over a month. But this applies to TK, Sheed, Duggan, Gaff, Cripps, etc. Injuries don't help but I honestly don't think they are getting themselves fit. They might think they are fit but I reckon they are well below the fitness of counterparts from other clubs who play in same areas.
Well said , the fitness comes down to those coaches doesnt it?

The cap is more designed to hamstring performance advantage over administration stuff ups for sure.

100% this. It's absurd that payouts are included in the soft cap. Clubs aren't obtaining any performance benefit from paying somebody not to be there, and it only serves as a disadvantage from stable clubs that are performing.

So with that being said how can he not be held account for the current state of the list as well as the recruiting team, Simmo was vey good for us, but like all coaches he has reached his use by date with us, and should be shown the door along with Nisbett and other dinosaurs at the club like Gepp.

So with that being said how can he not be held account for the current state of the list as well as the recruiting team, Simmo was vey good for us, but like all coaches he has reached his use by date with us, and should be shown the door along with Nisbett and other dinosaurs at the club like Gepp.

Could not agree more.

If his input is limited to telling the recruiters what type of players to target, then that’s what he should be held to account for.

If your complaint is that we’ve drafted the wrong type of players, you might have an argument.

If your complaint is that we’ve drafted too many spuds, there’s not much the coach can do about that. Unless you think his input was “draft me some spuds”.

From memory we had a good first half of 2019 but then NN did his knee and then the injuries started.
To me that says a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back