Adelaide's "tippet" draft penalties

Remove this Banner Ad

My god, I thought the Bombers fans were delusional, but this is beyond the pale.

You think the AFL would really reduce your penalty because Essendon brought the game into disrepute worse than you did? Sure, lets let out all the people guilty of petty theft when the police catch someone guilty of grand larceny! :rolleyes:

This is not some giant pro-Victorian conspiracy, if you don't want to be excluded from the draft, don't fiddle with it!

we never breached the salary cap..

We made a contract outside of the original contract which is a no no... The contract did not even favour us

That sounds very familiar.
150px-MelbourneStorm.png

I have been a member of the above club for 8 years. We cheated, got caught and paid a massive penalty. Just be glad you hadn't won anything yet.

That sounds very familiar.
View attachment 28121

I have been a member of the above club for 8 years. We cheated, got caught and paid a massive penalty. Just be glad you hadn't won anything yet.

What we did was very wrong, no doubt about it. Our punishment is about right. But in light of what Essendon have been dealt our punishment definetly does not fit the bill.

What we did was very wrong, no doubt about it. Our punishment is about right. But in light of what Essendon have been dealt our punishment definetly does not fit the bill.

And I don't think ours did, either. We had the hammer dropped on us big time to send a message to the rest of the competition. It's always tough being the first one caught out. Like I said, be grateful you hadn't won anything and managed to get caught out post-season, it could have been a lot worse.

My god, I thought the Bombers fans were delusional, but this is beyond the pale.

You think the AFL would really reduce your penalty because Essendon brought the game into disrepute worse than you did? Sure, lets let out all the people guilty of petty theft when the police catch someone guilty of grand larceny! :rolleyes:

This is not some giant pro-Victorian conspiracy, if you don't want to be excluded from the draft, don't fiddle with it!

I tend to agree, Adelaide have no grounds whatsoever to appeal for a more lenient penalty. The time for that was during the commission hearing last year. I do think Adelaide copped it a bit more purely based on the fact that they weren't one of the big 4 clubs and just didn't have the same leverage when negotiating penalties. Its over though, Adelaide fans need to stop this Victorian conspiracy nonsense.

Adelaide were found guilty of cheating. Essendon were not.
You can argue about the merits of the Essendon findings and negotiated settlements but according to the AFL Essendon didn't cheat and nor did Melbourne.
How on earth you get to negotiate your penalty has me beat but when the AFL don't want to have their people on the stand under oath you get some leverage.

And I don't think ours did, either. We had the hammer dropped on us big time to send a message to the rest of the competition. It's always tough being the first one caught out. Like I said, be grateful you hadn't won anything and managed to get caught out post-season, it could have been a lot worse.

The whole world was watching this Essendon saga. The AFL had to come out and make a statement to show that OUR game does not accept this crap, and go all guns blazing at Essendon.
In the end Vlad was too worried about the bottom line and his bonus's so chose the lesser extent..

Time to get rid of Andy D

Adelaide's penalties were exactly what they needed to be. They purposefully and wilfully cheated and the draft sanctions reflect that.

You ought to be arguing that ours were too soft. While we too were pinged on "poor governance", we basically facilitated the potential for harmful substances to enter multiple players' bodies. That infuriates me to no end. And unfortunately we've still got ASADA/WADA to come, so fear not Adelaide fans, there's more pain for us. :(
You sir are the king of ****heads

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Adelaide would gladly hand over their premiership points both this year and last year to participate in the first 2 rounds of this years draft.

Would you have said the same thing last year, one game before the finals?

Depends what spin you want to put on it. Adelaide never breached the salary cap. Essendon attempted to gain unfair advantage by using supplements.
spin is entirely the issue. Without spin I'd say Adelaide breached the salary cap and draft rules and Essendon purchased and administered performance enhancing drugs banned under the anti doping codes. The spin is moving away from this on the basis of catagoric proof and wording of charges. Ditto the Melbourne situation.

IMO Adelaide and Essendon got a reasonably fair wack while Melbourne and Hird both got off lightly. Just my take of course but the threat of litigation is now clearly shown to soften the AFL. That is weak on their part. They are lucky people like John elliot are no longer around.

Would you have said the same thing last year, one game before the finals?

Realistically, finishing second on the ladder, you have every right to assume you could win a premiership. Had we been in the bottom 4 of the top 8, the answer is definitely a yes. The 2 scenarios are quite different. Essendon would have been very unlikely to play deep into the finals series.

I take your point though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide's "tippet" draft penalties

Remove this Banner Ad

Back