Game Day Adelaiiiide vs West Coast - 18+ game winning streak starts here

Remove this Banner Ad

If you do watch a replay and can be f**ked watching the ruck contests have a look at the hitouts and more importantly hitouts to advantage. Our mids didn’t stand a chance. Bailey loves being second to the contest (allows him to use his jump/athletiscism) but means he gets torched by guys like ROB, Witts etc. ROB was BOG last time you played us and should have finished with 2 goals today. Pretty solid day out for a big man after 41 hit outs vs an entire team total of 23 hit outs I would have thought?
ROB gets a bad rap around here as his marking which used to be his one wood has completely deserted him this year. His ruck work though has improved a lot and usually wins most taps and his taps to advantage are better this year.

whys that? I just think the club doesn't have the right to change the clubs name without asking the supporters. has a more political vibe about it has been done from the top down, I think that view is supported by the hostility of the hyper political Jenny types to any questioning of it too.

There is a place for politics and it isn't here. Quit while you're behind.

There is a place for politics and it isn't here. Quit while you're behind.
The question is why would anyone object to a harmless and temporary name change to celebrate a section of society that has suffered a lot?
What’s behind this offendedness? What’s the motive? Being a c… to First Nations players?

ROB gets a bad rap around here as his marking which used to be his one wood has completely deserted him this year. His ruck work though has improved a lot and usually wins most taps and his taps to advantage are better this year.
Ever since he called Nic Nat a fat bastard he seems to have played pretty well against us. Maybe he could slide into Lloyd Meek’s DMs this week.

Doesn’t seem to be a whole heap of rucks developing under him, for your sake I hope Hamish, Justin and co. are having a chat to Nick Bryan and Ned Moyle. As much as I love Yeoy and he’s a fantastic player when fit, I don’t think he’s the answer to you guys ignoring elite mids in the draft for years and think it’s worth beefing up an offer to those guys rather than paying Yeo $1.3M next year.

The question is why would anyone object to a harmless and temporary name change to celebrate a section of society that has suffered a lot?
What’s behind this offendedness? What’s the motive? Being a c… to First Nations players?
Likely it’s this.

When it comes to these minor fringe “political” issues I think it’s important to ask ourselves…
“How does this really affect me?” “Does this impinge on my day to day life at all?”
If the answer is barely, not at all or we struggle to answer with a sensible reason then we can probably reflect that we’re over reacting, deluded, misinformed or being an absolute w***er. If it’s any of the last few then it’s probably time to mix up the algorithms on the media platforms we’re using.

Ever since he called Nic Nat a fat bastard he seems to have played pretty well against us. Maybe he could slide into Lloyd Meek’s DMs this week.

Doesn’t seem to be a whole heap of rucks developing under him, for your sake I hope Hamish, Justin and co. are having a chat to Nick Bryan and Ned Moyle. As much as I love Yeoy and he’s a fantastic player when fit, I don’t think he’s the answer to you guys ignoring elite mids in the draft for years and think it’s worth beefing up an offer to those guys rather than paying Yeo $1.3M next year.
We have two rucks on the list O'Brien and Strachan and three chop outs in Thilthorpe, Himmelberg and Burgess. Strachan is the same age as O'Brien and is the SANFL best ruckman. So you are right we have no young rucks. I think they may try and Make Thilthorpe the ruckman once ROB goes.

I think people just like to be triggered by something.

We have two rucks on the list O'Brien and Strachan and three chop outs in Thilthorpe, Himmelberg and Burgess. Strachan is the same age as O'Brien and is the SANFL best ruckman. So you are right we have no young rucks. I think they may try and Make Thilthorpe the ruckman once ROB goes.

Thilthorpe would be an excellent ruck, but we should only consider putting him there if he fails as a forward (which I highly doubt he will).

whys that? I just think the club doesn't have the right to change the clubs name without asking the supporters. has a more political vibe about it has been done from the top down, I think that view is supported by the hostility of the hyper political Jenny types to any questioning of it too.

The name change is designed to normalise the usage of indigenous language in everyday life, and hopefully generate greater understanding and appreciation of indigenous culture. This will hopefully lead to better connections between the indigenous and non-indigenous community and help lead to better outcomes for indigenous Australians, which is a positive for the country as a whole.

Your argument about whether the club should ask its supporters about making a temporary name change is an incredibly flimsy one. We aren’t consulted on the vast majority of things the club does on and off field, why would this be any different?

I suspect that your argument is actually hiding the fact that you just don’t like the name change and aren’t brave enough to come out and admit it. My response to that is this: Indigenous people go through their whole lives, with the vast majority of things being named in English or other languages, despite there originally being a name for it in their language. That’s one way that European settlement has eroded their culture. If a non-Indigenous person doesn’t like calling their football club by a different name, then maybe it’s an opportunity to develop some empathy around these issues.

Look, the only people being triggered here are those reacting to this guy's comments.
Why can't a perfectly reasonable question be discussed rationally, with logical reasoning?

Ahh, of course. "I'm not triggered, you're triggered", the classic cry of someone who definitely relies on rationality and logical reasoning.

He claimed to be offended by it, before acknowledging he wasn't actually offended (because then someone might think he was triggered!), then painted it as some kind of anti-democratic crusade by a fascist club, before settling on "well it just smells like virtue signalling to me anyway, the vibes are too political", whatever that is supposed to mean. When the reality is, the club decided to participate in an AFL-organised indigenous celebration round that harms absolutely nobody, while making one tiny step towards bridging the divide between the indigenous people that have contributed so much to footy, and the rest of the country.

His comments were treated with the disdain they deserved.

Ahh, of course. "I'm not triggered, you're triggered", the classic cry of someone who definitely relies on rationality and logical reasoning.

He claimed to be offended by it, before acknowledging he wasn't actually offended (because then someone might think he was triggered!), then painted it as some kind of anti-democratic crusade by a fascist club, before settling on "well it just smells like virtue signalling to me anyway, the vibes are too political", whatever that is supposed to mean. When the reality is, the club decided to participate in an AFL-organised indigenous celebration round that harms absolutely nobody, while making one tiny step towards bridging the divide between the indigenous people that have contributed so much to footy, and the rest of the country.

And this week is National Reconciliation Week - which Sir Doug Nicholls Round precedes it.

The name change is designed to normalise the usage of indigenous language in everyday life, and hopefully generate greater understanding and appreciation of indigenous culture. This will hopefully lead to better connections between the indigenous and non-indigenous community and help lead to better outcomes for indigenous Australians, which is a positive for the country as a whole.
yeah I think this is closest from the replies as to its intention from a pure or social goodwill pov. i don't think the afl care one bit tho they care about pleasing government so they can get their stadiums funded. they are a rotten organisation and usually practice the opposite to they preach eg women's rights, that there is an insincerity about having a name imposed from above by them

Your argument about whether the club should ask its supporters about making a temporary name change is an incredibly flimsy one. We aren’t consulted on the vast majority of things the club does on and off field, why would this be any different?
if you change the name of the club what else is there? i would have thought much different to the football operation side of the club, it's part of the clubs identity.

I suspect that your argument is actually hiding the fact that you just don’t like the name change and aren’t brave enough to come out and admit it. My response to that is this: Indigenous people go through their whole lives, with the vast majority of things being named in English or other languages, despite there originally being a name for it in their language. That’s one way that European settlement has eroded their culture. If a non-Indigenous person doesn’t like calling their football club by a different name, then maybe it’s an opportunity to develop some empathy around these issues.
actually aboriginal people ive known in my life had a different view on aborigional political ppl and aboriginal ppl that live out bush i.e. saying they're crazy, so it's not as kind a gesture as you think, mostly irrelevant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my argument was consistent but to be fair i didn't say explain it completely in the initial post, just gave an off the cuff remark at the absurdity of it all. rather than adjust and acknowledge my point and agree or disagree, you just dug in to suggest it was something sinister or now that i didn't explain my point consistently, but there you go!

anyway I'll leave this posts as my last on it as I'm sure you're tired of replying so enjoy fellas!

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Adelaiiiide vs West Coast - 18+ game winning streak starts here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back