Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From memory the AFL's upfront $30M contribution was essentially for the freehold title to be handed over in 2025 in the first instance. The $200 million was basically to bring the handover forward 8/9 years and so reflects the present value of the net revenue streams expected to flow from the stadium over that period

That said, you are right, the comparison is ludicrous.
yeah something like that, except the AFL now collects all the revenue & control if Etihad's destiny!

mod edit: this is not a road we want to go down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wasn't a lot of promotion for it in Canberra. I saw Thurston getting coffee wearing a Kangaroos jumper on Friday and was like "oh, is that this weekend?"

You'd think having an international against the number two ranked nation would get a bigger turnout given the claims of canberras rugby leagueness, regardless of the unverifiable level of promotion

Meanwhile, total average audience across the southern capitals for the Anzac test was 85k. In Sydney and Brisbane the saints and giants averaged 98k. #nationalcode

Given that some of the folk from LU stop by every now and then wouldn't it be worth throwing a bit of bait out there to have them hang around and contribute to a discussion :D

Let me be clear. Bigfooty doesnt want the bait thrown out - this thread does not exist to BE bait. If they want to contribute to the discussion they can like everyone else - and some do. They dont need your "bait".

AFL

• AFl Sat - Pies v Blues - 70,279 at the MCG
  • AFL Sat - Dogs v Tigers - 46,387 at Etihad Stadium
  • Sat TV night #AFL #AFLDogsTigers Seven Mel 307k, 7mate 152k (Syd 25k Per 95k)
  • AFL Sat - Suns v Cats - 13,648 at Metricon Stadium
  • Sat TV night #AFL #AFLSunsCats 7mate Bri 32k
  • AFL Sat - North v Crows - 10,064 at Blundstone Arena
  • Sat TV arvo #AFL #AFLNorthCrows Seven Ade 108k
  • AFL Sat - Port v Eagles - 38,333 at Adelaide Oval
  • Sat TV arvo #AFL #AFLPowerEagles 7mate Per 108k, Seven Ade 102k
NRL

A-league & EPL

Other

Last edited:
The Daily Telegraph 7.5:-
. W.Syd.regd.contact RL nos. down 15% in 2017 (& first year participation nos. down 20%)
.Size differences blamed
. NRL unnamed official stated " At this rate, our game will be dead in 10 years. Australian Rules appears to be the biggest threat to rugby league in Sydney's west".
(Despite soccer having massive nos., & AF having very small nos. in West Syd.!).
.Touch football & oztag nos. growing.
.RL regd. nos. growing in Qld (This is surprising to me. AF regd. nos. in SE Qld. are booming -incredibly, almost very close to contact RL regd. nos. in SE Qld.!).
.The NRL will spend $100,000,000 on a "rescue strategy"- to improve regd. nos. in its heartland areas. (Probably explains Commission decision for NRL Club funding decrease; & impasse with the NRL clubs)
.Aust. wide male RU contact regd. nos.down 7%.

To escape Daily Telegraph paywall in Wookie's post on NRL directly above, go into Incognito -then on to google; then google "$100 million plan to stop kids leaving league".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Junior NRL registration numbers in Parramatta, the western suburbs and Canterbury are down more than 10 per cent and Penrith to a lesser extent.

At the same time Australian rules football numbers in Sydney’s west are climbing at a rate of 15 per cent on the back of the code’s multimillion-dollar grassroots blitz and the emergence of the GWS Giants as the hottest team in the AFL and favourites to win this year’s premiership.

Those numbers about correlate to the numbers i have been posting about junior football in WS

2012 - 67 junior teams from under 9's to 16's

2016 - 128 junior teams from under 9's to 17's

2017 - 155 junior teams from under 9's to 17's including this year 4 under 18's girls teams.

About a 20% team increase year on year, that could mean a 20% increase in overall numbers, or more, or less.

However IMO i think junior football would be gaining as many kids from soccer as RL, i don't simply think it is a case of stop playing RL start playing footy, many, many more thousands of kids would have gone from playing RL to soccer over successive generations in WS since the 1970's.

BTW the article specifically mentions WS but Taren Point ( photo) is not in WS but Cronulla, but that is RL heartland as well.

“It would be irresponsible to be blasé about what is happening,” says NSW Rugby League chief executive Dave Trodden. “In some areas age groups are down 30 per cent.”

The most alarming statistic is that first-time participant registrations are down by 20 per cent.

Only the Cronulla junior league has had an increase this year on the back of the Sharks premiership

First time participant registrations are usually around the Auskick age 5,6,7,8.

That is where the real growth in WS footy has been for the last 3 years, but i still doubt whether WS football numbers are having a real impact on RL, the real issues over the last 20-30 years have been soccer taking thousands of kids and the weight issues.

Once WS football team numbers are up around the 400 mark then WS will probably have 2 comps and making a real impact via numbers.

The biggest impact to all codes and cricket is about to come into legislation, the gambling advertising ban will have a big impact and its easy to see a total ban coming into place just like it did with tobacco 20 years ago. TV stations are very unhappy as it will have a big impact on the bottom line as gambling companies are paying big dollars for advertising during live broadcasts, there is no chance that they will get anything like the dollars they are now after the ban. The only one that really isn't going to be too badly effected at the moment is BBL as the 8:30 cut off isn't as big an impact because most of their broadcast is after this time, but for AFL and NRL it will. With a fall in advertising revenue it means tv rights won't be as valuable so any increase they thought would happen again in the next deal is now much less likely as you don't buy something if it will lose money on it.

The biggest impact to all codes and cricket is about to come into legislation, the gambling advertising ban will have a big impact and its easy to see a total ban coming into place just like it did with tobacco 20 years ago. TV stations are very unhappy as it will have a big impact on the bottom line as gambling companies are paying big dollars for advertising during live broadcasts, there is no chance that they will get anything like the dollars they are now after the ban. The only one that really isn't going to be too badly effected at the moment is BBL as the 8:30 cut off isn't as big an impact because most of their broadcast is after this time, but for AFL and NRL it will. With a fall in advertising revenue it means tv rights won't be as valuable so any increase they thought would happen again in the next deal is now much less likely as you don't buy something if it will lose money on it.

The negative naysayers having been putting the kibosh on TV rights going up for at least a decade.

We have been told time and time again that this will be last time TV rights go up substantially for the AFL if they go up at all, yet time and time again they gone up substantially, i have no reason to believe it wont happen next time.

The AFL will find away to promote competitiveness, advertising will find a way to make the $$, the market will find a way to be relevant and the TV stations will find the money.

Witness the rise of Egaming industry ( Thread on this board) , once a particular source of income closes, the money has to go somewhere and a new one opens up.

Good. The AFL's willingnees to hold hands with gambling industry is immoral. Gamble if that's what floats your boat, but it is a disgrace that my kids seem to know odds for various games/ spot bets. Their only exposure is via AFL broadcasts and it is pathetic the AFL couldn't get rid of this parasitic industry itself, instead the community having to rely on the gubbermint.

Anti-siphoning legislation will be overhauled meaning the AFL will make up the difference in the future with more Pay TV dollars and/or digital streaming and/or via selling its own media directly to the consumer.

Yep, it's time for streaming. The AFL should release a channel on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Chrome Cast etc. 10-15 clams a month or sell subscriptions along with club memberships.

I'll clarify the streaming bit. It should have absolutely nothing to do with Telstra at all.

The Daily Telegraph 7.5:-
. W.Syd.regd.contact RL nos. down 15% in 2017 (& first year participation nos. down 20%)
.Size differences blamed
. NRL unnamed official stated " At this rate, our game will be dead in 10 years. Australian Rules appears to be the biggest threat to rugby league in Sydney's west".
(Despite soccer having massive nos., & AF having very small nos. in West Syd.!).
.Touch football & oztag nos. growing.
.RL regd. nos. growing in Qld (This is surprising to me).
.The NRL will spend $100,000,000 to improve regd. nos. in its heartland areas (Probably explains NRL funding decrease & impasse with the NRL clubs)
.Aust. wide male RU. contact nos.down 7%

To escape paywall, go into Incognito -then on to google; then google "$100 million plan to stop kids leaving league".
3a62f43eb024e31130a143df4beabb26

2015 numbers for Sydney juniors ^^^

We dont know the 2016 numbers

In 2017 .... according to the link ... Junior NRL registration numbers in Parramatta, the western suburbs and Canterbury are down more than 10 per cent and Penrith to a lesser extent.

In WS junior football numbers by my guesstimate would be about 3,500 players, that is by timing 155 teams ( under 9's to 17's) by an average 15 players and adding another 40% for the 5,6,7 and 8 age groups.

I know the junior club i have been involved in has nearly as many auskickers as modified and open rules players combined and for a couple of other clubs in the area it is similar.

So has footy made a dent in RL numbers in WS ?

We don't know, but i would guess it would be a small one.

MO would be weight issues and soccer taking the bulk.

It would not surprise if more kids came over from soccer than RL.

It will be pretty shocking if it gets less than 40,000 for the beautiful game!
I would have thought they would have needed to play such an important match at the 83,000 ANZ Stadium it is a GF after all.
the A-league grand final got 40,000 people today. I agree, it should of been at ANZ

NRL crowds are miniscule when compared to the AFL, but taking a broader view, what we can say about NRL crowds is that they regularly end up in the 12k to 16k ranges, and that's still ok.

Soccer fans are hopeful that one day A-League averages will match NRL averages, but what most soccer fans fail to understand is that if they ever grow to have 16 clubs (and that's a very big if), they will struggle to maintain today's average of around 12.5k, let alone catch the NRL.

If they ever get to have 16 clubs plus promotion and relegation (a very big if), you'll have seasons when larger captial city clubs are replaced by pissant teams from goodness knows where and there will be absolutely zero chance of maintaining the current 12.5k average.
And this is where expansion is the key. The fact that the A-league crowds average 12,500 a game is very good. Again... I hope they actually jump from 10 teams to 14 teams. That means it goes from 27 rounds of 9 opponent facing them 3 times to a 26 round comp of 13 opponents and facing them twice

3a62f43eb024e31130a143df4beabb26

2015 numbers for Sydney juniors ^^^

We dont know the 2016 numbers

In 2017 .... according to the link ... Junior NRL registration numbers in Parramatta, the western suburbs and Canterbury are down more than 10 per cent and Penrith to a lesser extent.

In WS junior football numbers by my guesstimate would be about 3,500 players, that is by timing 155 teams ( under 9's to 17's) by an average 15 players and adding another 40% for the 5,6,7 and 8 age groups.

I know the junior club i have been involved in has nearly as many auskickers as modified and open rules players combined and for a couple of other clubs in the area it is similar.

So has footy made a dent in RL numbers in WS ?

We don't know, but i would guess it would be a small one.

MO would be weight issues and soccer taking the bulk.

It would not surprise if more kids came over from soccer than RL.
Any particular reason you have allocated only an average of 15 players per AF Club team in Greater West Syd?
I would have thought c. 21 players per team.

Also, you have estimated Club Auskick nos. for 4-8 y.o.'s in Greater West Syd. at only c.40% of total Club no.?
Auskick is booming,many females in Auskick now - I would have thought c.70%

Contact RL regd. nos. have been on a long term decline (ditto RU).
To lose 15% in 1 year, however, is a HUGE hit (pun intended) for RL. The NRL would be very worried.
Anyone have any theories why 2017 has been so bad for Greater West Syd. RL?
(Macarthur Campbelltown etc. regions also down).

It will be interesting to see if the pro RL Sydney media report this participation decline as a "one-off" news event, as it usually does? Or will this long term trend become a northern state media narrative, & be reported/commented on in a regular," thematic" sense?

Last edited:
Any particular reason you have allocated only an average of 15 players per AF Club team in Greater West Syd?
I would have thought c. 21 players per team.

Also, you have estimated Club Auskick nos. for 4-8 y.o.'s in Greater West Syd. at only c.40% of total Club no.?
Auskick is booming,many females in Auskick now - I would have thought c.70%

Contact RL regd. nos. have been on a long term decline (ditto RU).
To lose 15% in 1 year, however, is a HUGE hit (pun intended) for RL. The NRL would be very worried.
Anyone have any theories why 2017 has been so bad for Greater West Syd. RL?
(Macarthur Campbelltown etc. regions also down).

It will be interesting to see if the pro RL Sydney media report this participation decline as a "one-off" news event, as it usually does? Or will this long term trend become a northern state media narrative, & be reported/commented on in a regular," thematic" sense?
Dont think they all play 18 a side. Just looked up the results for a game at random in U10s in Sydney Harbour comp, one team had 16 listed players, the other 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back