List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know you hate Mackay but we need his run and carry.

Douglas I like, however as you said currency and age makes it possible that he's on the table.

You know I hate Mackay?

Based on what?

I'm a big Mackay fan, but the run and carry his ~18 odd touches (in his good years) deliver us isn't anywhere near enough for a player of his talent and importance.

Think you'll find though that the two best defenders (outside of Talia who went down) to match up on Josh Kennedy were not playing though. Agree both are important, but we kind of have defenders who can 'defend'. Just lack defenders who can attack and not turn the ball over for fun.
Assuming you're suggesting Rutten and Hartigan, I don't think Rutten would have done any better given how well Kennedy was leading/how much space WCE had when delivering it into our forward 50. Not sure on Hartigan on the lead yet but the little I've seen of him at AFL level, I'm not entirely impressed with his body work 1v1 yet it's far too early for me to make up my mind on him yet.

We've got Brown, Talia and I guess Otten who are all capable of doing a strong job defending (Otten possibly less then the other two) yet provide us no run. Then it's the inverse with the other guys such as Jaensch, Hendo (not really Smith) etc who provide plenty of run but can look weak defensively. It's a mixture of getting guys who do both jobs well which is proving to be quite a challenge.

Then again, if our midfield could up their game and put more defensive pressure on the opposition, they won't have the time and space to hit Kennedy lace out on the lead and will instead be forced to kicking it up high like we seem to do for so many of our entries which in turn makes our backline look a hell of a lot better.

If we can get Toumpas and a second rounder for Douglas.

we have 2xsecond rounders.

I would exchange both for a first rounder from Gold Coast or Richmond.

Leaving us with 2 first rounders. One of them I would use on Lever/Marchbank as KPD and get Weller.
Would they accept two second rounders for a first rounder though? I know I'd be annoyed if we got rid of our first rounder for two seconders.

Would they accept two second rounders for a first rounder though? I know I'd be annoyed if we got rid of our first rounder for two seconders.

some clubs might, the draft is rated very even across the board, however Gold Coast have to shrink their playing list, maybe Essendon would trade their end of first round compensation pick for drug taking to get 2 picks. Its all hypothetical though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know I hate Mackay?

Based on what?

I'm a big Mackay fan, but the run and carry his ~18 odd touches (in his good years) deliver us isn't anywhere near enough for a player of his talent and importance.

Hate's probably the wrong word.
More so maybe you undervalue his worth to the team.

We need more of his type in the side not less I guess is my point. Cant afford to throw away what minimal run we have.

Why? They have to decrease the size of their list from 42 to 40 going into 2015, so I'd imagine the one higher pick would be of far more value to them than 2 second round picks.

GC already only have 40 listed players, and they'll lose Brown, Bock & Hunt already at the end of the year. They don't need to turnover anyone.

Michael Talia's skills are woeful.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=3677&tid2=2&pid2=3888&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

And if you compare him to his brother, Daniel has slightly more disposals per game yet Michael averages almost double the amount of clangers.

Very simplistic, I know, however there is no denying that Michael Talia cannot kick the ball and IMO we already have that in Kyle Hartigan. You are blinded by the romance. We're better off looking for players who can distribute a bit - something we don't have.

Yeah, Talia's a terrible footballer. Had a falling out with the WB coaches because he couldn't hack being told he wasn't up to scratch (though he did cop it unfairly post Carlton game. Young had a shocker yet he copped the blame). Made a name for himself as an offense/rebound minded key defender (so it's 'excusable' that he lacks a little defensively) but he can't kick. The point of difference in his game is his ability to rebound and transition but he's the one player whose hands you just don't want the ball in. His football game is the definition of an oxymoron. Terrible player, hope we don't go after him.

But you said we need him to break the lines, 15 kicks and 39 handballs over the last 3 weeks suggests he's not doing that.

Just because he's not kicking the ball doesnt mean hes not breaking the lines.

Soemtimes its just as important to break (or more beat in mackays case) the tackle, draw the 2nd opponent then handball to the free man.

This also is in line with our overuse of the footy over the past month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back