List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold Coast are now on the scene. Brisbane will have to play ball or face being left out in the cold like Tippett.

It was a big choke on them, getting QLD players should have been their biggest priority. They had the chance for Tippett and they lost it.

Over-imaginative and completely unrealistic idea for trade/draft period:

Dangerfield and Lyons to Melbourne for picks 2, 3 and Jimmy Toumpas.
Pick 2 to Fremantle for Lachie Neale.
Pick 3 to Brisbane for James Aish.
Pick 10 to GWS for Phil Davis.
Pick 30 to Hawthorn for Ryan Schoenmakers.
Pick 47 to GWS for Jonathan Giles.
Petrenko to ? for third rounder (39 to 55), which is used to draft best available.
Pick 65 to draft Matt Panos
Upgrade Charlie Cameron from rookie list.

In:
Neale (21yo), Aish (19yo), Toumpas (20yo), Davis (24yo), Shoenmakers (23yo), third round draftee (18yo), Giles (26yo), Panos (23yo), Charlie Cameron (20yo)

Out:
Dangerfield (24yo), Lyons (22yo) and Petrenko (24yo) (traded), Graham (27yo), McKernan (24yo), Luke Thompson (23yo), Ellis-Yolmen (21yo), Porplyzia (29yo) (delisted), Rutten (31yo) (retired)

I'm confused with these rumours about JC, why would he move to Adelaide ?? I thought he was a Melbourne lad ? Why are people constantly talking about it, are we in fairyland ? I know how good he would be, but likelihood of it happening ?? At least with Aish or Davis they're is a good reason why they might want to come home, but JC ?? Can some please explain this to me ?

He's a country boy, he hates the city. And he was born in sa he has some family here

Port aren't a superteam. They haven't recruited a LeBron or a Kevin Love. They have recruited Jay Schulz (did nothing at Richmond), Angus Monfries (fringe player at Essendon), Jarrad Polec (completely unproven), Matt White (was a nothing player at Richmond) and Ryder (deserting the sinking ship that is Essendon).

Port lack a lot of depth, in fact its safe to say they have none. As soon as they got injuries to a few players they struggled to beat even the crap teams. I am not convinced just because they get Ryder they will be any better or even have as good of a year. Port also had a lot of top teams come to Adelaide Oval with a bucket load of injuries to star players. Ports game is good I wont deny that but there second half of the season was just shithouse barring some good finals appearances. It would not surprise me with a good coach, Adelaide over takes Port next season.

If recent history is a measuring stick, trades are fairly simple in nature, I dont think there has been a trade involving 4 clubs or more for a long time.

4 clubs is way too many moving parts and trade week is way to short of a time frame. History tells us that if a super trade is being thrashed out all clubs tend to weight until the final result to see what scraps can be pecked over and 9 times out of 10 it has lead to some of the most boring and inefficient trade weeks. I think the trend in recent years is clubs like to keep it simple and make the deal happen as quick as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three sets if you don't specifically mean playing, as there were two years where they had all 6 of the Cornes, Burgoyne and Westhoff brothers on their list

Haha wow I'd forgotten about M. Westhoff. Also Marlon Motlop was there with Daniel around the same time iirc?

EDIT: The Motlops were cousins, not brothers.

I hope you're not involved with the AFC drafting in any official capacity. That is probably the worst attitude you can have and offers nothing as an opinion.

Nothing to do with attitude mate. Just stating the facts.

Every draft period we hear the same old rumours, "my father owns a fish and chip shop and the dad of Player Z comes in and says that he's definitely coming back to the Crows after his contract is up". Really?! About as credible a source as Andrew Jarman!!

Chris McDermott's been harping on for years that Pavlich and Griffin were going to make royal home-coming returns to the AFC. We're still waiting. Last year it was Adam Cooney. This year Bruce Gibbs was homesick and supposedly coming back. Where are they?

Now, the latest rumours are surfacing about Aish and Toumpas. No way Aish would go anywhere with Beams coming into their system. He'll be part of the best midfield in the AFL in 2015. And Toumpas...well I've spoken to him personally. He doesn't even support the Crows. Is a Port supporter and also has family connections at the Suns.

Name me one young gun SA draftee that sighted homesickness and came back to Adelaide (Crows not Port)? Jacobs is one, but he was drafted very low and came back to SA for opportunities rather than homesickness.

My opinion? Forget about these kids. Work on getting players into the system that fill a need and a role.

Gun player yes...and we did well out of that deal. But out of all the SA players who have gotten drafted over the last 6-8 years and were almost all rumoured to come back at some point, that's not a good strike rate.

Why??
Who cares. Let's turn it around starting from now. Gun coach, playing at the adelIde oval in front of 50000 people every second week .... And all the other reasons .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back