AFC Asian Cup - Final: Australia v Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bad bit of decision making from Carney, to be honest.

I think he felt that he had to try and cover that space at the near post as the CBs had been sucked out towards the ball. Unfortunately for him, though, that left Lee totally unmarked within the box, and worse than that, Nagatomo's delivery was fantastic and Lee's finish was even better.

A bad bit of decision making from Carney, to be honest.

I think he felt that he had to try and cover that space at the near post as the CBs had been sucked out towards the ball. Unfortunately for him, though, that left Lee totally unmarked within the box, and worse than that, Nagatomo's delivery was fantastic and Lee's finish was even better.
Why? There was nobody there. Anyone who has ever played the game above under 13's knows you mark the player not the space in your own penalty box. It was an unforgivable mistake and he should be made to rue that the rest of his career by never playing again for Australia.

Carney ran straight to the path of the incoming ball towards Schwartzer. It was so unneccesary and it's the dumbest defending I have ever seen.

Hopefully all the oldies are out after this except cahill who looked injured all night. want to see the built around

Langerak
Kruse
Oar
Devere
Killkenny
Mckay
Herd
D.Williams
R. Willams (Best defender australia has imo)
Ruka (on the wing)

Carney wandering off he man was bad enough but the entire defence is out of position in the lead up to the goal..I hope they learn the lessons and we actually play strikers in the future not just 2 players who score goals from time to time because Cahill and Kewell are by trade midfielders, regardless of where they've played for Australia or their clubs before..couldn't have done any worse with McDonald out there who is actually a striker.

Carney wandering off he man was bad enough but the entire defence is out of position in the lead up to the goal..I hope they learn the lessons and we actually play strikers in the future not just 2 players who score goals from time to time because Cahill and Kewell are by trade midfielders, regardless of where they've played for Australia or their clubs before..couldn't have done any worse with McDonald out there who is actually a striker.

Not sure about you, but I like my strikers to score goals.

Hopefully all the oldies are out after this except cahill who looked injured all night. want to see the built around

Langerak
Kruse
Oar
Devere
Killkenny
Mckay
Herd
D.Williams
R. Willams (Best defender australia has imo)
Ruka (on the wing)

So you want the oldies out but McKay kept? You do know he is 28 yeah? He's no junior.

Mckay will be 32 at the world cup.

I know- I can do the maths ;)

What I'm saying is; your advocating wholesale change to get a new generation of youngsters in, yet McKay is immune to that? Personally I would rather a 35 year old Tim Cahill (assuming he is still fit etc) to a 32 year old McKay- and thats no disrespect to Mckay at all. If the players are playing well at that age, then what is the difference between a 32 or 35 year old?

This is the argument that is going to be brought up over the next three years about Schwarzer. If he's still our best keeper when he's 41 do you play him or do you give somebody like Langerak or Federici or whoever is lining up for his spot a go? It's an interesting predicament the FFA selectors will have on their hands.

This is the argument that is going to be brought up over the next three years about Schwarzer. If he's still our best keeper when he's 41 do you play him or do you give somebody like Langerak or Federici or whoever is lining up for his spot a go? It's an interesting predicament the FFA selectors will have on their hands.

Zoff captained Italy to a World Cup win in 1982, Van Der Sar is 41 now yeah? Great way to finish his career.

Gutted but very proud of the way we played. A friend said to me in the second half that we've had our chances and could have blown it but the way Olger is making the team click makes the future very bright indeed.

Feel sorry for carney because he isn't a left back but I hope he never plays for Australia again, there must be better options on the left. He'll always have the effort he put in against Serbia where he completely shut down Krasic to look back on.

A couple of people on here (one of them is an Eagles fan, what a suprise) crying over some players being shit and costing us the game have obviously gone full ******, that's the best Kewell has played since the Uruguay game in November '05 but this is bigsoccer and it's a special kind of troll that is attracted to this place. Cahill was obviously half fit.

Those saying Emerton playing right back and switching Wilkshire won't work, Emerton has been twice the player he used to be playing an advanced wide right role for Australia, he used to shit himself going forward when playing at right back under other managers.

Roll on 2014 and more talent coming in to the team. :thumbsu:

Zoff captained Italy to a World Cup win in 1982, Van Der Sar is 41 now yeah? Great way to finish his career.

Gutted but very proud of the way we played. A friend said to me in the second half that we've had our chances and could have blown it but the way Olger is making the team click makes the future very bright indeed.

Feel sorry for carney because he isn't a left back but I hope he never plays for Australia again, there must be better options on the left. He'll always have the effort he put in against Serbia where he completely shut down Krasic to look back on.

A couple of people on here (one of them is an Eagles fan, what a suprise) crying over some players being shit and costing us the game have obviously gone full ******, that's the best Kewell has played since the Uruguay game in November '05 but this is bigsoccer and it's a special kind of troll that is attracted to this place. Cahill was obviously half fit.

Those saying Emerton playing right back and switching Wilkshire won't work, Emerton has been twice the player he used to be playing an advanced wide right role for Australia, he used to shit himself going forward when playing at right back under other managers.

Roll on 2014 and more talent coming in to the team. :thumbsu:

Great post agree with everything.

Long story short, we NEED to find a replacement for Carney. He isn't good enough in that role anymore, and it's time to replace it with some youth.
Might be a bit of a case of trial and error, but we need options there. It got to the point where at one stage McKay (an attacking midfielder) had to play back there, at tournament level, you need depth, and atleast one capable backup in every position.

I don't understand the harrasment of Kewell. If he wasn't our best outfield player this tournament he was in the top few. Sure he missed goals, but he also scored goals, and crucial goals too. He always looked the most likely to score, held the ball up well and earnt us countless free kicks and corners. A very impressive tournament from him.

I can't beleive that according the bookies Australia were favourites! :eek:

had to instantly put $20 on Japan at $2.85
easy money :thumbsu:

(Australia will only win if we play great, Japan play shit, and Schwarzer dominates a penalty shootout)
Well, we played great, for 119 minutes. But we had 1 bad minute, and it cost us :(

and to make it worse, my bet was in regular time, so it was a loss/loss for me :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about you, but I like my strikers to score goals.
We didn't score anyway so my point still stands who knows the Final may have been the makings of him as an international scorer...seems we've been saying that for a while :D

You either need a striker who will score, or a striker that will play the sort of role that Viduka used to play of holding the ball, dragging off a couple of defenders and then offloading..neither Kewell nor Cahill are capable of that as good as they are.

The biggest football tournament to be held on our shores is coming in January. Four groups of 16 nations, and the buzz is starting to build. I'm hoping to attend a match or three, regardless of who's playing..

Do you guys think that this time Australia has a great advantage over other teams in the 2015 AFC Asian Cup to make it into final..?

nx1chu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back