Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 11 - Crows v Pies Tues August 11th 6:35pm AEST (AO) Match Highlights in OP

Who won a d by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a bit of a look across the season, at Collingwood's free kick numbers...surprise surprise...there is no surprise...

Collingwood free kicks for: 210 (Round 1-11)

Collingwood free kicks against: 160 (Round 1-11)

50 free kicks more across the season is a very large differential, and is starting to become a big trend in close games in for the Pies. Have no doubt they probably would have lost a couple more games had they not has such favourable treatment this season.

Even Pies supporters know they're getting the run of the green, which shows just how blatant it's been.

Yep. And biggest factor being........WHEN they were paid. Absolutely turned the game in their favour and broke any slight belief we had. We really needed that.
This is spot on,it was not so dissimilar last week. Whenever a side got a run on an amazingly innocuous free was paid. The thing that also irritates is Fox/Seven did not replay one decision I can recall tonight and there a few really suss ones, leading to goals either directly or indirectly, such as the not 15 call deep in Adelaide's defense, blatant throws not called and holds called one way then not the other....there were some clangers from a few of them, but the ones from that umpire were just at times where you needed to be 100% an infringement was made.

My favourite moment from tonight's game was Himmelburg flying for a mark in the 1st quarter and dropping it, and Stengle roving for a very good front-and-centre goal.
And Riccuito commentating that "maybe the small forwards at Adelaide can come into it a bit more, they haven't had that big target in the forward line for a few years now."

I guess that Eddie Betts was overrated "for a few years now", and Taylor Walker hasn't been any good for "a few years now", and Darcy Fogarty has shown nothing. Thanks for clearing that up Roo.

Adelaide will win if a team comes expecting to just turn up and get a win. They lack cohesion as a team and don’t really have their game plan worked out. That’s excusable for a team that appears to be going a full rebuild, and hasn’t been able to train properly. It doesn’t look to me like there’s a lack of effort. I reckon if a team comes in and doesn’t have their pressure on, the Crows might be able to get their game working somewhat, players will grow in confidence and it will be enough. The question is who will it be? Normally candidate number 1 would be a team out of the hunt for finals who have disappointed this year. There’s no incentive for the players to put in there. But the ladder is very tight this year, they may not get a team like that. I do know I’m going to be nervous playing them if they haven’t won a game by then.
Our skills generally are ok in the first half, but our completely sub par fitness levels means there is always a dramatic drop off in the 2nd half, even if the effort is there.

It’s frustrating to see such an unfit team after being a fit club for most of our existence in the AFL. Maybe the pandemic hasn’t helped, but our fitness levels have been in decline ever since Burton and Hass entered the club. You would think a duo who destroyed Brisbane’s fitness wouldn’t be hired by another club, but here we are!

My favourite moment from tonight's game was Himmelburg flying for a mark in the 1st quarter and dropping it, and Stengle roving for a very good front-and-centre goal.
And Riccuito commentating that "maybe the small forwards at Adelaide can come into it a bit more, they haven't had that big target in the forward line for a few years now."

I guess that Eddie Betts was overrated "for a few years now", and Taylor Walker hasn't been any good for "a few years now", and Darcy Fogarty has shown nothing. Thanks for clearing that up Roo.
Roo really shouldn’t be commentating on our games anymore, it’s just even more negativity the club doesn’t need.

Agreed. I've seen some stinker teams, in the last 20 years, Richmond, Melbourne, Carlton. This Crows side is right there, might be the first to go winless.
Two other sides have been winless since 2000 after 17 rounds, but yes it’s hard to see us winning a game, will take a lot of luck to go our way.

Seems to err on the side of paying frees that might’ve been there rather than sticking to the ones she’s sure of.

Often seems to favour one team over the other. I’m sure it’s not deliberate.
Yeah I don’t think she’s trying to favour any side, she just isn’t a good umpire. I don’t see where her improvement has come from since getting dropped to sanfl level a couple of years back, in fact her decision making has got worse.

Two other sides have been winless since 2000 after 17 rounds, but yes it’s hard to see us winning a game, will take a lot of luck to go our way.
Hawthorn is the shot, that's about it given you've already played a lot of the other struggling clubs. Maybe Carlton if they put in a stinker, but its gotta be the Hawks I reckon if anyone.

If the Crows sack him then anyone involved in hiring and sacking him needs to go too.

What do they expect?

Injuries galore.
Their best player is probably Brodie Smith or Tom Doedee, both of whom are current B graders.
Their senior players are largely cooked.
Their young players only get a game because the senior players aren't any better (McAsey, McHenry, Jones, Schoenberg are all currently SANFL level, regardless of their talent).
He's got no support on a coaching level.
He's come into the most mismanaged club of the last 2 years. There are guys there who were involved in Kurt Tippett saga and pushing for Collective Minds.

He's on an absolute hiding to nothing. They were widely tipped to be bottom 2 before they lost B.Crouch, Sloane, Fogarty, Milera etc before extended periods of time.

If any board member dared to blame Nicks and sack him there should be a riot.
Doedee is a B grader? He came 2nd in the RS award in 2018, missed 2019 with an ACL and has now returned to be in the top few intercept defenders in the AFL. Also shown himself to be a brilliant leader of the defense. You’re calling him a B grader off what evidence exactly? I feel like you’ve mistaken him for someone else, he’s literally the most promising thing to come out of this season for our club. Will be our next captain too.

Hawthorn is the shot, that's about it given you've already played a lot of the other struggling clubs. Maybe Carlton if they put in a stinker, but its gotta be the Hawks I reckon if anyone.
Yeah they’re the only realistic chances, Bulldogs are prone to crap ones but we can’t win away this year so they will probably North us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif
Just had a bit of a look across the season, at Collingwood's free kick numbers...surprise surprise...there is no surprise...

50 free kicks more across the season is a very large differential, and is starting to become a big trend in close games in for the Pies. Have no doubt they probably would have lost a couple more games had they not has such favourable treatment this season.

Even Pies supporters know they're getting the run of the green, which shows just how blatant it's been.

We're not beating anyone. Smashed by North and couldn't beat what was effectively Collingwood's VFL side. I thought Melbourne 2013 couldn't be topped for shitness but we've done it.
Hang on............. some perspective............ we played in a GF 3 yrs ago............. Melbourne have been bottom 4 for like......... forever............ including 2013.I have a vague memory of them making finals once, years and years ago...... Carlton not much better.
Heaps of victorian clubs are perennial cellar-dwellars, this is our first spoon in our 30 year history. AFL....... it happens to all clubs at some point.
And we actually need this........ I'm SICK of being mid-table with no serious talent or real high draft picks! It's our time.

Eh, meaningless without any context.

It seems obvious to me that it comes down to teams gamestyles. We simply don't get caught holding the ball as much as other teams and we don't give away as many careless free's either, especially in defence. Our defenders rarely ever give away free kicks for holding the man or in the back; Moore, Howe, Roughy, Maynard and Crisp are smart players that simply read the ball well and can spoil and intercept without the need for wrestling and shoving opponents in the back. Our major ball winners like Pendles and Sidey are rarely ever caught and don't give away free's for holding the man, incorrect disposal or high contact. Adams and Treloar often avoid getting caught holding the ball because they're strong bodies that can slip tackles and dish off the ball in time.

We don't have a manic attack the man gamestyle like Richmond where they wait for the opposition to gain possession and then swarm which often results in them giving away free kicks for holding on too long in the tackle and high contact. It's a gamestyle that at the end of the day wins them games so I don't know why they cry about their free kick differentials so much. It's obvious that style lends itself to giving away free kicks. It's a risk/reward style. Trying to gang tackle the opposition constantly is obviously gonna see them give away more free kicks than other sides, especially sides like us that play possession footy. Personally, I prefer to watch more attacking footy like the way Richmond play and really wish we could adopt a bit more of that into our game, but again, it lends itself to a greater likelihood of giving away free kicks.

The irony eh.... they've had more number 1's this century than the beatles & MJ together. Hardly comparable when Adelaide hasn't had anywhere near it while being actually somewhat successful.
To be fair, exactly how many number 1's have the Beatles and Michael Jackson had this century?

Maybe you should have also thrown in Elvis for good measure?

If the Crows sack him then anyone involved in hiring and sacking him needs to go too.

What do they expect?

Injuries galore.
Their best player is probably Brodie Smith or Tom Doedee, both of whom are current B graders.
Their senior players are largely cooked.
Their young players only get a game because the senior players aren't any better (McAsey, McHenry, Jones, Schoenberg are all currently SANFL level, regardless of their talent).
He's got no support on a coaching level.
He's come into the most mismanaged club of the last 2 years. There are guys there who were involved in Kurt Tippett saga and pushing for Collective Minds.

He's on an absolute hiding to nothing. They were widely tipped to be bottom 2 before they lost B.Crouch, Sloane, Fogarty, Milera etc before extended periods of time.

If any board member dared to blame Nicks and sack him there should be a riot.
I don’t disagree with that, but I know how these AFL clubs work. I’d also not say Doedee is a B grader.

Do you not watch any AFL media at all?

Not really, no. Most of it is complete junk.

Ranked as the 9th best ruckman in AFL ranking points. Clear enough for you?

So what is this measurement based on? Why is it so trusted as the absolute ranking you're making it out to be?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2020 Round 11 - Crows v Pies Tues August 11th 6:35pm AEST (AO) Match Highlights in OP

Back