Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 10 - Lions v Tigers Fri May 21st 7:50pm EST (Gabba) Tigercast Link in OP - Special Guest Justin Charles!

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some strange calls on this thread, but none stranger than the one towards the end in the podcast.

"Pickett is more talented than Zorko.. at the moment".

Not sure about that one, fellas.

pickett is playing like a man possessed atm. Really found his groove. So probably right now that’s not as crazy as it sounds.

Brisbane will win easily... Too strong through the midfield, even without their brownlow medalist... I always think Brisbane has the best midfield in the comp...

Please win Richmond, by 6 points will be nice 😄

Brisbane look strong and on paper this would look like a win for them, but the game’s not played on paper. I feel like we tend to bring a solid effort against Brisbane and we’re usually difficult to beat when we have our backs to the wall. This feels like a backs-to-the-wall game so I expect a solid outing from us. Their forwards are probably going to be difficult to stop so we’ll just have to match that in our forward line with their outs in defence.

A loss here could end Brisbane. All the pressure on them with an entire starting midfield missing through injury. Be an interesting coaching battle. Really looking forward to it either way

Richmond’s 2 greatest strengths have been their defensive structure (and the personnel within it), and their forward half pressure. Both have been heavily mitigated by the rule changes.

Under the old rules, players who were solid but unexceptional one-on-one defenders like Broad and particularly Ashbury could play very well within the structure of a unit. A key attribute of such players within that system was good decision-making, knowing when to zone off a player to create an outnumber. Now, those attributes aren’t so useful, and being a one-on-one athletic defensive beast is more important. Richmond’s vaunted defence can’t do much when the oppo midfield gets on top, and guys like Astbury look lost when playing 1-1 and getting burnt on lead-ups.

Firward half turnovers are harder to create now, as HTB doesn’t exist, and players can run around the mark to get extra penetration on kicks and move through the corridor more easily. All of this suits lead up forwards, rather than defensive pressuring forwards.

All of the foregoing means that midfield and centre clearance battles are more important than ever, which was never Richmond’s strength and is currently a huge weakness, last week’s honourable effort by kids and makeshifts notwithstanding.

My tip: Richmond could easily get flogged with Brisbane’s fwds having a field day. Our backline will look out of sorts again but soon we will realise that is the new normal, as intercept marking - the real strength of Grimes and Vlaustin - and creating outnumbers - the strength of Briad and Astbury - become less and less relevant. Balta will adapt as he is an athletic beast suited to the new rules.

Tigers by 35 (and premiers, obviously, but we’ll have to work for it this year).

Richmond’s 2 greatest strengths have been their defensive structure (and the personnel within it), and their forward half pressure. Both have been heavily mitigated by the rule changes.

Under the old rules, players who were solid but unexceptional one-on-one defenders like Broad and particularly Ashbury could play very well within the structure of a unit. A key attribute of such players within that system was good decision-making, knowing when to zone off a player to create an outnumber. Now, those attributes aren’t so useful, and being a one-on-one athletic defensive beast is more important. Richmond’s vaunted defence can’t do much when the oppo midfield gets on top, and guys like Astbury look lost when playing 1-1 and getting burnt on lead-ups.

Firward half turnovers are harder to create now, as HTB doesn’t exist, and players can run around the mark to get extra penetration on kicks and move through the corridor more easily. All of this suits lead up forwards, rather than defensive pressuring forwards.

All of the foregoing means that midfield and centre clearance battles are more important than ever, which was never Richmond’s strength and is currently a huge weakness, last week’s honourable effort by kids and makeshifts notwithstanding.

My tip: Richmond could easily get flogged with Brisbane’s fwds having a field day. Our backline will look out of sorts again but soon we will realise that is the new normal, as intercept marking - the real strength of Grimes and Vlaustin - and creating outnumbers - the strength of Briad and Astbury - become less and less relevant. Balta will adapt as he is an athletic beast suited to the new rules.

Tigers by 35 (and premiers, obviously, but we’ll have to work for it this year).

I love the pessimistic tigers fans who rationally lay out some team weaknesses, acknowledge the outs, and then predict a tiges win by 6 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant see us with any hope in this game, every tipster is against us. Too many outs. Baby midfield. Bears too powerful. Best mids in the comp. Best defender. Unbeatable forward line. Home game for them. Tigers cant win away from the G. Our players are thugs. Our coach and boss are sooks. Were drinking our own bathwater. Our supporters are arrogant flogs. We have no hope !

Tiges by 21.

Is that Justin Charles the one caught using steroids?

Good to see Richmond back at the G(ABBA). Hopefully no comments about where the game is played from the coaches or admins

Brisbane should be primed to slaughter them - it was only Martin's efforts that saved the Tigers last week

Too many good soldiers out

Can't see Richmond getting within cooee in this game. I've been reliably informed their entire starting midfield have been replaced with witches hats.

Even the lesser lights of the Brisbane team are in great form, Starcevich, Bailey, McCarthy et al.

Too many stars forward to stop. Lions will win the contested ball & clearances.

Harris is back, Charlie is back, Big Joe is clunking them all around the ground for fun.

My Tip: Tigers by six goals.

Cant see the Tiges winning against a really good side in the Lions on their home deck with our decimated midfield, last week was the important win for us. Even with a loss here we should beat Adelaide and Bombers following, head into the bye at 7-5 with players returning puts us in a pretty decent position.

Hopefully we can take it up to a classy Lions outfit and make a real game of it, looking forward to it.

Whenever I watch the Lions I feel deeply unimpressed - if they end up winning a game I always think - how'd they win that they were being smashed everywhere? Mind you - I haven't watched them for a couple of weeks the Q-clash and Lions v Freo aren't on my 'must watch' list

I'm not sure whether its just the ground or the camera angle at Brissy - but the games they play look slow. Even when I look through their team list - I can't find the quality you would expect from a top 4 side. Look at their HB line - it looks slower than a herd of turtles - thats where you normally put your best runners isn't it? I feel like any time now, they'll just become a bottom 4 battler. Even their coach looks and sounds like a guy you'd find coaching the local ressies.

As a betting man - I always look at a side beaten by Brissy and pencil them in for a loss the following week - just because the game always looks low quality. That strategy has not been working! So what's going on - what is it that I'm missing? How do they keep winning? And HTF can they have a guy like Robbo as a starting midfielder and still be winning games of AFL?? Has the world gone completely mad!??

Is that Justin Charles the one caught using steroids?

Good to see Richmond back at the G(ABBA). Hopefully no comments about where the game is played from the coaches or admins

Brisbane should be primed to slaughter them - it was only Martin's efforts that saved the Tigers last week

Too many good soldiers out
Just a reminder of what Dusty did the last time around at the G(ABBA) :)

Whenever I watch the Lions I feel deeply unimpressed - if they end up winning a game I always think - how'd they win that they were being smashed everywhere? Mind you - I haven't watched them for a couple of weeks the Q-clash and Lions v Freo aren't on my 'must watch' list

I'm not sure whether its just the ground or the camera angle at Brissy - but the games they play look slow. Even when I look through their team list - I can't find the quality you would expect from a top 4 side. Look at their HB line - it looks slower than a herd of turtles - thats where you normally put your best runners isn't it? I feel like any time now, they'll just become a bottom 4 battler. Even their coach looks and sounds like a guy you'd find coaching the local ressies.

As a betting man - I always look at a side beaten by Brissy and pencil them in for a loss the following week - just because the game always looks low quality. That strategy has not been working! So what's going on - what is it that I'm missing? How do they keep winning? And HTF can they have a guy like Robbo as a starting midfielder and still be winning games of AFL?? Has the world gone completely mad!??

I dunno, you seem to be some sort of brain genius.

More seriously I think Tigers fans just think everyone else is pretty crap, particularly us given we have only beaten you once in a decade. But we’ve played two finals the last two years and are on track to play finals again. We clearly aren’t crap.

I get why tigers fans don't like Mitch Robbo, but he's a solid enough AFL role player. Through the rest of the ground there are plenty of stars, particularly up forward. The backline is indeed a bit slow, but we are a kicking team and have one of the highest kick to handball ratios - despite that, the last couple of years we've been one of the highest scoring teams (highest scoring in 2019, close to in 2020) and are thereabouts again this year. The Hawks threepeat team didn't have a heap of speed down back either, but had a bunch of excellent kicks and great users.

My blind spot is port - I can’t believe the hype there, and that is entirely due to the fact that we have smashed them the last 3 times we played them. Whereas Richmond as won a close prelim and lost to them twice either side of that game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 10 - Lions v Tigers Fri May 21st 7:50pm EST (Gabba) Tigercast Link in OP - Special Guest Justin Charles!

Back