Autopsy AFL 2021 Second Semi Final - Cats v Giants Fri September 3rd 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Giants by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Giants by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Giants by a lot

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The only calls I didn't like were the HTB against Hopper (although technically there) and the arm chop on Rohan. Otherwise umpires were fine. The score review was a shocker though. I think there needs to be more onus on goal umpires to call those obvious ones.

Dreadful call to the point of being an apologist. Even if you can defend the 4 weak frees inside 50 to Geelong, you then have to pay them the other way which (which haven't been despite being blatant).

Really dislike how bad goalkicking is glossed over in terms of making the game less of a spectacle.

Dunstall, Riewoldt on Foxfooty just then all being like "oh this is finals footy" after Brown made a joke about it being not a great game.

5.8 to 3.5, some very easy shots missed. Rat, Hawkins, Cameron missed them, Rohan should have passed, Giants had a few. Not just "finals footy" to miss gettable shots.

Unfortunately it's why we have so many rule changes, not being able to take anything less than a 8/10 chance consistently means low scoring games and Gil freaking out.

Amazing how bad Coniglio is now.

He’s not a small forward. He has obviously dipped but he’s being played out of position a lot of the time.

How good would guys like Macrae, Neale, Merrett, Mitchell etc look if they were played there?

Happy for Leon to keep doing this, no way GWS are that damaging with Coniglio wasting away in the forward line.

I didn’t think it hit his foot - I realise that a correct disposal doesn’t have to be a well connected disposal, i thought it hit the ground and rolled away but happy enough to be corrected.

I was of the understanding it hit his foot on the way down hence why it wasn't paid. It's one of those futurama "Technically correct: The best kind of correct". What was noticeable and jarring about that call is that's not how that has been called before that (see Callan Ward pinged for Holding the ball on the wing a few minutes before that getting a handball out before the umpire calls holding the ball noticeably after the disposal) or since.

I never said we haven’t had the better of it. We have. But this narrative is more predictable than a Steven king story. The conspiracy grows legs and anything the other way gets ignored

Fair, I'm not engaged with the greater narrative so you probably have a point there regarding umpiring and Geelong as a whole on here. My focus has been solely on this game and much like the foot skills the umpiring has been noticeably jarring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cause the AFL rolls out the red carpet for the cats game style.
Yet, since 2011 both Richmond and Hawthorn have won three premierships already. With all that help, we must be really shite to not snaffle one. I think I’ll get really worried when people stop complaining about Geelong

The Cats play with unwarranted arrogance. If they actually just played straight line footy they'd be very good with the talent they have.

Only Chris Scott could butcher having Hawkins/Cameron as his 2 main targets with reasonably capable 3rd and 4th targets (Rat and Rohan). Add in a lot of their players are naturally runners with long kicks (Duncan, Tuohy, Smith, Danger, Menegola, I'd even include Stanley in that, don't think he has much short game!) and it's a bizarre gamestyle that they actually have.

Dreadful call to the point of being an apologist. Even if you can defend the 4 weak frees inside 50 to Geelong, you then have to pay them the other way which (which haven't been despite being blatant).
Give me a spell, mate. I'm going for GWS. Geelong dominated play and the free kick count is 14-10, that's more than reasonable. With GWS' lack of key forwards, of course they're going to draw less arm chop frees. Half their inside 50s haven't even been to marking contests - they have 1 mark inside 50 to 6. It doesn't take an apologist to see why one team is getting more free kicks inside 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2021 Second Semi Final - Cats v Giants Fri September 3rd 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Back