Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

Was a great game. Feel a bit robbed with those last 2 calls. Not saying it cost Brisbane the game but it cost them the chance to win very late. I guess it was debatable that McCluggage kept the ball in before hitting up Daniher.

Either way congrats Collingwood.

Yeah congrats to Collingwood. Pleased with either team winning there's stories to make you happy as a footy fan. I just wanted the ending to be on the back of one of teams winning. Cleanly. Not meddled with over a call by an umpire in the dying minutes. It's not that much to ask.

Still chuffed for the pies season being vindicated by coming out on top in the end. I literally went into the game thinking all week I'd barrack for them. Then in the first quarter I was already leaning Brisbane. By the final quarter I wanted it for Fagan and Lachie as a fomer docker. And sure the advantage call didn't in of itself decide the game. But it did deflate the Lions, stripped them of a rightful chance to try to set up a score opportunity after that free kick position.

Daicos a bit odd, but Pendles was objectively huge, can't agree with that part of it.
Had both Mitchell and Crisp better for Collingwood. Pendlebury I agree was good however for Darcy it is all about praising the big names that appreciating the best performances

Lol. I’m saying it’s bias but without it being a “conspiracy”. I’ve never believed, for example, that umpires are secretly instructed to ensure a certain outcome.

It’s more like there is an internal culture within the AFL that sees vic teams as being the “real” teams while everyone else is auxiliary. And naturally umpires are going to, in certain moments, act in the interests of their employer.
You’ve managed to out-flog yourself. Well done.

You didn't read my post it clearly says the advantage call was wrong
The chances of a mark from that were minimal. I think you must be the first person who’s said it was an ok advantage to pay.

Theres a reason for that.

That being said giving sidebum a 50 would be more what id be looking at.

Never leave it in the umps hands

Yup - danger called it out the other week.

They seriously see everyone outside of vic as NPC’s
Leigh Montagna said exactly this outcome at the start of the finals series because "Collingwood will be too strong with a home ground advantage in the grand final" to be met with deafly silence. The silence of a bloke who said the quiet bit loud...

Or the players inability to halt the play and let their team mate take the kick

You mean like the 50 other times a game where a free is called and a team mate handballs or kicks it only to be called back? Or the fact it’s so loud the players likely didn’t even hear the whistle?

It’s about consistency. A fair call either way needs to be made. Anytime a team mate kicks it away it’s either player on, or it comes back.not half and half like it is now.

It’s complete interpretation and nonsense at the moment. 99% of time at any other point in the season that comes back. Why didn’t it? That’s what needs to be asked and answered.

You mean like the 50 other times a game where a free is called and a team mate handballs or kicks it only to be called back? Or the fact it’s so loud the players likely didn’t even hear the whistle?

It’s about consistency. A fair call either way needs to be made. Anytime a team mate kicks it away it’s either player on, or it comes back.not half and half like it is now.

It’s complete interpretation and nonsense at the moment. 99% of time at any other point in the season that comes back. Why didn’t it? That’s what needs to be asked and answered.

99% of the time that's not even called a freekick. Seek help and recover - you have my support young man

So much saltiness. It seems like every non-Pies supporter today was rooting for the Lions.

This is what makes this victory so much sweeter. The Pies were literally up against everyone. Lions and neutrals.

Amazing that we could get it done after first losing Adams and McStay before this week, and then Nathan Murphy in the first quarter. We fought against the odds and are now the best team in the land and reigning premiers for the next 12 glorious months.

Go Pies!!!!!

It’s all academic at this point but no guarantees that Brisbane get a goal out of that free anyway.

Everyone is acting like Neale’s going back and dobbing that from 60 was a fait accompli. Just as likely he blasts away and it gets rushed through for a behind.

Yes the way it’s being painted here is it was 30-40 metres out from goal, paying advantage gave them a chance to break free without the pies flooding back.

How? What’s the conspiracy? Where?
You posted about an internal AFL culture that favours Vic teams through favourable umpiring. That's a conspiracy theory.
It’s no more a conspiracy than “based on your flair I have a feeling you like Essendon”
I hate Essendon. They're just the team I support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

99% of the time that's not even called a freekick. Seek help and recover - you have my support young man

Come one mate it was a clear free kick.

Now it may never have changed the game and resulted in anything but that advantage call completely went against how it’s been paid all year and was a complete disadvantage.

Pendles and Sidey with the big snags 😍

The two old boys were good for you, kept their heads when everyone else was losing them, they were a big factor in you winning today.

The Pies will be in trouble when they retire but it looks like they have another couple of years left in them, they are still playing good footy.

What would infuriate the Lions (and it infuriates me) is the inconsistency. We had advantages called back, as did they, that would have advanced the ball more than the free that the player was forced to take. Then that gets paid advantage, mysterious decision.

Ditto the ball coming out in a tackle, quite a few quick off the trigger early, then they put the whistle away: both sides felt the hypocrisy there in the second half. The high hits seemed random, some paid, some not. Arm chops ditto, Moore had a clear front on contact call ignored, maybe one to Hipwood could have been paid too, they don't "balance out" they are both wrong.

I don't blame the umps, they get messages from the AFL "emphasise this", or "we're looking at that this week" how are they supposed to officiate with the level of interference the AFL seems to think is acceptable?

Come one mate it was a clear free kick.

Now it may never have changed the game and resulted in anything but that advantage call completely went against how it’s been paid all year and was a complete disadvantage.

The umpires 99% of the time do something to square it up when they make a blunder and that freekick call was a joke. It happened multiple times during this game as well. Either talk about it with a professional or celebrate the black and white jail bars winning the flag, you'll be able to blend in with the numbers. #16

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back