Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

Genuinely deserved flag for the Pies, despite the late advantage call.

I will say though, that Billy Frampton is a brave man for celebrating that medal being placed around his neck.
Considering the way every player is involved in modern footy from a rotational perspective, that has to be THE single worst performance from an individual resulting in a Premiership medal. Hopefully he does the right thing and gives it to John Noble on Mad Monday.
His job was to stop Harris Andrews intercepting game. Job completed. Andrews had one intercept mark.

Lol. I just watched the last 2 minutes back. I don’t think the commentary team saying “ridiculous. That is ridiculous.” does a lot for those arguing that Collingwood weren’t gifted this game.
We finished Top, beat Melb the Flag favorites and the GWS juggernaut.
And we still have inane attempts at discrediting our flag by fools.
Never change BF.

Congratulations Magpies

But now Pandora’s box is open. Their modern curse of winning Premierships only in years ending in 0 is broken.

Expect the evil empire to reign like they did in the 20’s and 30’s.

But seriously well done! And seems all Collingwood Grand Finals are classic.

Umpies sucked off all year, and saved the best treatment right at the end of the game. The most looked after team (duckcos anyone) by far.
Sounds like someone is upset because the most overrated player of all time isn’t allowed to do as he pleases anymore and is now moving to the gold
Cost
Collingwood have been well looked after the last couple weeks
I think it’s called karma for how your your captain previously acted

What does this mean?

Rayner is a best 22 player who just didn't have his best day.

Frampton was only selected because he's tall. Quite literally no other reason. Wasn't selected because of ability or a hunch he'd perform. It's the most hollow premiership medal in league history aside from James Jordan who didn't take the field.

Even Cam Mooney gets a pass for his 5 minutes of statless fame in 1999, because he was never given another opportunity to impact the contest.

You bagged a bloke who should never have been playing to begin with as he's a VFL standard footballer.
The fact he had to come in at the last second says it all, no one ever expected him to do anything. He's depth.

Rayner had one good final and two absolute shockers. This is a bloke who is touted as the next Dustin Martin. Everyone (including yourself) were salivating at the fact he was about to turn it on this years finals series.

And please don't bring Cam Mooney into a conversation to do about Cam Rayner. Mooney was a late draft selection who ended up becoming an All Australian and 3 x Premiership player. A cornerstone in Geelong's golden era.

You obviously don't know football with such woeful views on the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. I just watched the last 2 minutes back. I don’t think the commentary team saying “ridiculous. That is ridiculous.” does a lot for those arguing that Collingwood weren’t gifted this game.
That is quite some mental gymnastics from you asserting that because the commentary team used the term ridiculous that Collingwood was gifted the game. A game where Collingwood led at every change and had they kicked straight, could have been 4 to 5 goals ahead in the last. Yeah gifted pfffft

Never said pies supporters are responsible for the umpiring, asked for the umpires to be accountable?

It’s a footy board. Umpires form a part of that and can be asked to be accountable.

Where was the protected area for the Lions first goal. Swings and roundabouts. Markov 50 , can go on all day back and forth.

Cmon bro, you really gonna take it away from them over that?

Can’t you be happy for someone else?

It’s just a game mate, have a beer and relax
Of course it’s just a game, that doesn’t mean you can’t criticise it. It just sucks that a spectacle was so obviously influenced by bad decisions

Collingwood may have still won if they didn’t gift Sidebottom a shot at goal by extending the 50

Or if Daicos didn’t get given multiple high frees despite lowering himself

Or if the umpire didn’t pay advantage

Or if they paid a free against Maynard for hitting a guy in the head who was already being tackled

Etc.

These are all hypotheticals and Collingwood will always be premiers. Doesn’t mean people have to say that won it fairly.

Unfortunately, we will never know how a fair contest would’ve gone.

Of course it’s just a game, that doesn’t mean you can’t criticise it. It just sucks that a spectacle was so obviously influenced by bad decisions

Collingwood may have still won if they didn’t gift Sidebottom a shot at goal by extending the 50

Or if they paid a free against Maynard for hitting a guy in the head who was already being tackled

Etc.

These are all hypotheticals and Collingwood will always be premiers. Doesn’t mean people have to say that won it fairly.

1696068535380.jpeg

You bagged a bloke who should never have been playing to begin with as he's a VFL standard footballer.
The fact he had to come in at the last second says it all, no one ever expected him to do anything. He's depth.

Rayner had one good final and two absolute shockers. This is a bloke who is touted as the next Dustin Martin. Everyone (including yourself) were salivating at the fact he was about to turn it on this years finals series.

And please don't compare Cam Mooney to Cam Rayner. Mooney was a late draft selection who ended up becoming an All Australian and 3 x Premiership player. A cornerstone in Geelong's golden era.

You obviously don't know football with such woeful views on the sport.

I'm comparing Frampton's premiership medal winning performance with Mooneys from 1999. Nothing to do with Rayner. I watch ALL the football I can. Which is most of it.

It's another tale of a bloke being picked because he's tall and nothing more. I feel sadness for John Noble more than any other emotion for anything coming out of today's game.

Collingwood will argue that selecting Frampton meant their 'structure' worked. That's fine. But it doesn't mean he isn't the most undeserving recipient of a premiership medal in VFL/AFL history.

You have this bloke winning a medal, while a guy like Shaun Mannagh rots in the VFL because he's 5'9, despite being a more talented footballer in every metric other than manning an opposition tall.

Mindbrokenly bad post.

Etc.

I'm comparing Frampton's premiership medal winning performance with Mooneys from 1999. Nothing to do with Rayner. I watch ALL the football I can. Which is most of it.

It's another tale of a bloke being picked because he's tall and nothing more. I feel sadness for John Noble more than any other emotion for anything coming out of today's game.

Collingwood will argue that selecting Frampton meant their 'structure' worked. That's fine. But it doesn't mean he isn't the most undeserving recipient of a premiership medal in VFL/AFL history.

You have this bloke winning a medal, while a guy like Shaun Mannagh rots in the VFL because he's 5'9, despite being a more talented footballer in every metric other than manning an opposition tall.

Give him credit for coming in after not playing for a couple of months at this level, pretty impressive.

What a sretch to bag him for being tall also lol wow

Etc.

I’m annoyed we didn’t get to see what become of the free to Neale but brother, no point working yourself up!

Pies win the flag 2023, that’s what the history books will say. End of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back