Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

Will be cold pies and over by 3QT if lions capitalise on inside 50's with efficiency - tough ask in a granny obviously but no one seems to be aware we spanked them both times this year convincingly, final scoreboard not indicative. Nonetheless Lions at the mercy of the collingwood system and footy gods if Moore and co get on top + finals pressure, in that case another single digit win is almost guaranteed and may be the most likely scenario. Pies game simply built for September. No faith at all in that pie forward line to kick over 12 goals, shame as a high scoring shootout would be epic. Winner... unclear, method for winning.. very predictable.

Hold on, you spanked us at Marvel without literally our three best players in Moore, DeGoey and Naicos...maybe just add that for context.

Agreed we would be big underdogs at the Gabba where you are unstoppable.

Do they seriously have their own songs? I know Charlie Cameron had one but does everyone else?
It’s really putrid and was thought up by some idiot with no idea about the game.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s embarrassing. It’s a game of football not a music festival.

Seems to often work out that the pies play a bogey team they've lost to twice during the season in the GF. We are also 0-3 against interstate teams in GFs. So I don't buy into the Lions MCG hoodoo.
In saying all that, you take the chance to have a crack again. Would be a great story that it took getting MCRae and Leppitsch to help teach the boys how to beat the Lions in a GF if they get over the line.

Brisbane to do to Collingwood what WCE did to them in '18 - Beat them 3 times in 1 season :)
Collingwood lost 3 games in 2011. All to the same club.

Unfortunately the Pies will win this easily.

i remember you. you were that bloke who kept banging on about the 2000 Essendon team being the greatest in history. You like to use stats but only those you like to use from memory. Bet there'd be some juicy data about the Dons since then eh?

Yeah we are no good, but keep to the topic. The Pies form is average, Brisbane should win. Good luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know roughly what time the kick across the Yarra is on? I have to go into work (own business) for a short while Saturday morning and am hoping to be home by 10 - 10:30 to watch all the pregame buildup etc.

Surely they have to get Nathan Buckley to present the cup to whoever wins..

I actually like Bucks, but have to admit this would be pretty funny, since whoever wins will be a pretty much equal stab in his heart
Would be epic if he did a Shooter McGavin style piss bolt with it

For all the talk about what an open season it was and how you could make an argument for teams 1 through to whatever to win the flag, the teams that finished first and second after the home and away are playing in the Grand Final.
Considering it was the first time since 2014 that 2 top 4 teams went out in straight sets, the 7th placed team lost to 1st by 1 point in a prelim and could have easily won, and the 5th placed team piled on the first 5 goals against 2nd on the home deck, I’d say it was a pretty open final series where anybody could have won.

Genuinely looking forward to this one.

Collingwood are probably a bit more banged up than brisbane which may play into the lions hands as the game goes on. Also haven’t been kicking scores as easily as brisbane so if brisbane have a purple patch of a quarter they could crack the game open.

However brisbane getting spooked on the big stage is something i wouldn’t be surprised to see and we know collingwoods energy will be there in a massive way and their brand of footy generally stacks up in finals.

I really don’t know which way this one will play out. Exciting times

Have a feeling collingwood will do the same to brisbane, as what Geelong did to them in the preliminary final last year.

Nick Daicos at the age of just "20" should win all three aswell

Brownlow Medal

Premiership Medal

Norm Smith Medal

The Pies have played the Lions twice this year and lost on both occasions.

So i don't understand why people would think this will be an easy win for Collingwood.
They dont. Flip of the coin. Haven't lost a game at the G to an interstate side under Fly though. I'm sure there are 82 counter arguments to this though

Pies just doing enough to get over the line...I think the queston is can the Lions match their pressure. If the Pies can overwhelm them, it'll be close. If the Lions match them they'll run away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back