Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

Only criticism I have over using Frampton is not using Kreuger instead, but he may very well have put his knee through one of his teammates heads

Frampton held himself in good steed and absolutely played his role. Was he good? No. But he sacrificed himself and negated a KPD who largely stifled a Coleman medalist just the week prior and who is absolutely the reason why Brisbane were into a GF to begin with.

If every team had role players in well defined roles like Collingwood do, we’d have a way better competition
Well said negating roles have had a poor rep from years gone past but still hold value to winning a game imo. Andrews is clearly one of Brisbane’s best players as everyone knows so it’s like saying we are going to at least in theory nullify you because of the danger implied for the sake of one of ours and we’d happily take that which did happen.

What a great game! Both sides played great footy, umpiring was a non factor, Bobby Hill was a deserving BOG, special mentions to Sidebottom and Cox who also played great today. It was hard to choose a standout out from Brisbane but probably McCluggage, Coleman, Daniher and Cameron.

All round good day, couldn’t ask for much more as a neutral.

Felt like a little bit of a choke from the Lions there.

Poor-arse defending in the last few minutes of each quarter giving up goals, players like Hipwood, Rayner, Bailey (after half-time), 2xBrownlow medalist Lauchie Neale up until 3 quarter. Berry too.

Bit soft sorry Lions.

Great game of football. Probably a fair result because Collingwood were the best team all year. Happy to see Bobby Hill win the Norm Smith because he was outstanding.

A pretty poor umpiring performance I thought with some bemusing decisions and non-decisions both ways.
Were they the best team? Least travelled side in the afl, beaten by brisbane home and away, i think brisbane were the best side this year, just didnt have the typical collingwood draw

Yeah and it worked, so you can’t be critical of him. He absolutely played his role. I don’t know enough about Kreuger but I think he offers more offensively and as a focal point. However, it’s a moot point when you walk away with a flag and a guys selflessness is a massive reason as to why.

Krueger would have knocked himself or a teammate out within the first 10 minutes of the game…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were they the best team? Least travelled side in the afl, beaten by brisbane home and away, i think brisbane were the best side this year, just didnt have the typical collingwood draw
They have a walk up start to finals every year with at least 9 wins at the GABBA. How much more help do they need to win a flag?
Coll we’re clearly the best team, and beating BNE in a GF stamped that form.

I was curious about that 'full house' sign that came up when they announced the attendance at 100,024 - I didn't believe it could possibly be exactly full. But I looked it up - that's two more than the attendance in 2018, it's the biggest-ever crowd in the current MCG configuration, and according to Wikipedia 100,024 is precisely the capacity of the ground.

mcg wikipedia.JPG

hard not to with your draw which had you travelling the least of any club, so many lucky wins to, im glad you can see it
No worries champ. Give us a call when your footy team becomes relevant again and not the percentage boosters they have been for quite some time. Go pies 2023 premiers!

I was curious about that 'full house' sign that came up when they announced the attendance at 100,024. That's two more than the attendance in 2018, it's the biggest-ever crowd in the current MCG configuration, and according to Wikipedia 100,024 is precisely the capacity of the ground.
BT said it was 1,024

Frampton was less deserving of a premiership medal today than Leon Davis and he didn't even play in the replay.

He got beaten in pretty much every contest by Harris Andrews and was lucky he didn't give away more free kicks than he did.

I feel sorry for McStay who missed out on a premiership medal while a clearly inferior player to him got one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Back