Autopsy AFL 2024 First Elimination Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 7th 7:30pm EST (Gabba) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 52 40.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just caught up on the thread. WalshistheGOAT you're not you when you're nervous about an elimination final. You're lashing out at everyone buddy. We will get through this together.

Just caught up on the thread. WalshistheGOAT you're not you when you're nervous about an elimination final. You're lashing out at everyone buddy. We will get through this together.
Not myself? I lash out at Fudgey no matter the occasion... Thats just business as usual.

Personally I was looking forward to the off season list moves we were going to make more than this game, so if we win on Saturday it will be more just a hilarious upset to remember and laugh about similar to the 2013 elimination final vs the Tigs.

Our teams more banged up than Rocky Balboa so even if we win this week there's not a chance in hell we're going to back it up again the week after against a red hot GWS or Sydney at home

Both teams injured players returning.

Docherty: played OR then missed the rest of H & A season
McGovern: Missed - R 24
McKay: Missed - R 20,23,24
Williams: Missed - R 19,20,21,24
De Koning: Missed - R 22,23,24
Cerra: Missed - R 22,23,24

Starcevich: missed R 24.
Payne: Missed - R 18,19,20,21,22,23,24.

We look slow on paper with the ins and 2 rucks that has never worked for us. Lions will cruise over us by an easy 6 goals.

Fantasia playing over Moir / Lord / Binns is mind boggling and at least play one eager kid with speed Vossy. 🤦‍♀️😩

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not myself? I lash out at Fudgey no matter the occasion... Thats just business as usual.

Personally I was looking forward to the off season list moves we were going to make more than this game, so if we win on Saturday it will be more just a hilarious upset to remember and laugh about similar to the 2013 elimination final vs the Tigs.

Our teams more banged up than Rocky Balboa so even if we win this week there's not a chance in hell we're going to back it up again the week after against a red hot GWS or Sydney at home
Banged up, not going to win a semi, so again I ask what is the point of risking Docherty after 26 weeks?

Between Williams, Cerra, Docherty, De Koning and McKay, the Blues our bound to be one down on the bench by half time. I’m tipping two of these banged up blues to be late outs.

Did Carlton know you don't pick underdone or players coming back from injuries in finals. I'd be surprised if Cerra survives the first half before pining a hamstring.
We are all here so pleased you shared with us what would surprise you.

I for one was thinking of you when the teams were announced.

Thanks so much for sharing.

It’s good to share isn’t it 🙏

Last edited:
When faced with genuine pressure Cripps folds faster than I do on laundry day.
Look down - your pants are now down around your ankles.

pants GIF

A lot of talk about these INs as expected!

The genuinely risky ones seem to be:

TDK - has not played for 6 weeks, but will likely play deep forward. So not so much whether he runs it out, but whether the ankle is okay to leap about. If so, either he or McKay will keep Harris Andrews accountable, so looks like an okay selection

Docherty - obviously a risk. Don't get the talk of 'oh well he just retires if he does it' - he is only 30yo. Blues could easily be top 4 next year and a better chance at winning. Anyway - i suspect Saad will get Cameron as he has done well on him in the past. This would free up Docherty to be the creator and not have to twist and turn to cover a dangerous forward, just be a calming presence and good kick off the half back line. The caveat is players can be a bit rusty with skills under pressure in early games back from an ACL.

Cerra - this one i understand the least. Carlton have a good midfield without him, he doesn't seem to do well first up, and has done what 3 hammies this year?

On a macro level, Carlton's best chance seems to be pressuring the lions to make errors. Lions are not hopeless under pressure but probably one of the more vulnerable sides to pressure in the 8. I wonder if a combination of 1 or 2 of the incoming players being a bit underdone, and the players going out being the young / pacey / desperate to prove themselves types, that Carlton's pressure will be a bit down? Motlop and Fantasia for example are classy, but will they lock the ball in?

Other factors:

Home ground - definitely helps. But Carlton won in round 1. And will likely have 45% of the crowd. So not as big a factor as it would have been against Freo for example.

The Start - the lions have been phenomenal in first quarters. Won every one since the bye. Last final was after the lions had a break so i'd be surprised if Carlton can repeat it, but i'll certainly be worried about it! And yes the lions have given up leads of 30 points twice in the past few weeks, and the infamous 46 in OR, but you'd rather be ahead than behind in a final.

Goal-kicking - an obvious one but such an energy suck if it happens. Almost worse when it is at home too - the home supporters just start groaning and murmuring before a set shot. We really miss Linc in this situation, a great steadying influence.

Inexperience - borrowing this from our board a bit, but the number of players with fewer than 10 or 20 games can be a factor particularly in finals. Both teams have cleared out most of the newbies who had been playing earlier in the year. only Logan Morris from the lions remains. Hope he has been working on his goalkicking!

Key match-ups: Harris likely McKay who will roam. Payne on TDK. Weitering on Daniher. If any of those key forwards has a win will be crucial to the outcome.
I am putting my neck out and saying Saad will get Cameron who is just sneaking back in to form and has 40 finals goals at a better average than his h & a average.
Starcevich to Williams. Starce in career best form but untimely 'hamstring awareness' not ideal.
Dunkley to Cripps - Dunkley has done well in the past but Cripps is in ripping form. Berry is plan B.
Hewett to Neale - still the player most likely to be our barrometer.

I think with no Curnow and to a lesser extent Owies, Carlton must kick midfield goals to win. I am expecting Cripps to go forward as well as the wings - we do let wings get off the chain a bit.

For the lions, goal-kicking is honestly the most crucial part. I can't recall us losing a game in which we kicked well (happy to be corrected!). But it will also be our mindset. Are we hunting and hungry and excited by the contest? Or are we lamenting no top 4 and scared of losing? Exhibit 1 - Port Adelaide!

Anyone would think this is a Carlton vs Collingwood elim final.
Pies supporters are a special breed on here. It is truly laughable how obsessed they are with us! 🤦‍♀️🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 First Elimination Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 7th 7:30pm EST (Gabba) - Teams in OP

Back