Autopsy AFL 2024 First Elimination Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 7th 7:30pm EST (Gabba) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 52 40.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps may have 4-5 years, but with rapidly diminishing returns.
do you see enough improvement in the youngsters to more than just neutralise that natural decline of your older stars.

Thinking about next year, you would need to make the finals, which isn't obvious, AND avoid the likes of Hawthorn who have gone screaming past Carlton to god-knows-what level they are on their way to. Hawthorn would already win by 60+ points if they played today, and just wait for another year of development at Glenferrie.

I'm afraid I'm seeng 6th-10th finishes from here until the Cripps/Weitering/McKay/Curnow generation fades away.

I don't know the solution, maybe a coach that can get this team outperforming rather than middling?

Whatever it is, it needs to happen now, otherwise will go down as one of the most talented teams never to really threaten.
Meh.... If my dockers have to settle with 5th to 12th placed finishes so be it.

Cripps keeps his form up and stays healthy he will play for longer than the average player like all quality players do.

Weitering, McKay, Curnow are A grade players.

I mean in your premiership years Richmond were blessed with availability - like Sydney are this year.
yes luck plays a role for sure

the other thing really, for all the contenders in the next 5 years, is Hawthorn. What is their ceiling? And when is that list's peak? Do they get worked out somehow (almost always yes, eventually)? It is such a ridicuous trajectory they are on, cannot remember anything similar, they are far more clinical than Richmond '17 was.

You shouldn't be. Embarrassing choke from your side that caused this. Dockers should 100% be playing next week.
Glad you brought this up. Choke vs Geelong at home , GWS away and port at home. All 3 ended up in the top 4.

Not like none of those sides were bottom 4 sides last season either

yes luck plays a role for sure

the other thing really, for all the contenders in the next 5 years, is Hawthorn. What is their ceiling? And when is that list's peak? Do they get worked out somehow (almost always yes, eventually)? It is such a ridicuous trajectory they are on, cannot remember anything similar, they are far more clinical than Richmond '17 was.

We need better availability and match day team stability - as simple as that may sound thats what it is.

Glad you brought this up. Choke vs Geelong at home , GWS away and port at home. All 3 ended up in the top 4.

Not like none of those sides were bottom 4 sides last season either

Oh apologies, I didn’t realise. Congrats on a fantastic and successful season for the Dockers. Not embarrassing at all.

I look forward to mocking the teams who lose their semi final matchups next week and pretend the Bulldogs had a successful season as well.

Cripps may have 4-5 years, but with rapidly diminishing returns.
do you see enough improvement in the youngsters to more than just neutralise that natural decline of your older stars.

Thinking about next year, you would need to make the finals, which isn't obvious, AND avoid the likes of Hawthorn who have gone screaming past Carlton to god-knows-what level they are on their way to. Hawthorn would already win by 60+ points if they played today, and just wait for another year of development at Glenferrie.

I'm afraid I'm seeng 6th-10th finishes from here until the Cripps/Weitering/McKay/Curnow generation fades away.

I don't know the solution, maybe a coach that can get this team outperforming rather than middling?

Whatever it is, it needs to happen now, otherwise will go down as one of the most talented teams never to really threaten.
So we all agree Carlton are simply a 'mid table team'?

It didn't get much focus, but to me TDK going down was probably the single biggest impact on Carlton's dramatic form slump, and it showed tonight when he came on and gave them life. I can kind of see the plan with this sub if the game was in the balance, and maybe he wasn't cleared for a full game. Subbing Kennedy though was bizarre unless he was injured, I don't know why he continually gets subbed or starts as sub.

Either way, having TDK healthy is as important as Cripps, Curnow, Weitering etc if they are going to do anything next year.

They asked him about TDK and the returnees and he was right about it being a pretty unique circumstance to have all of them out and then available like that. It's an elimination final they were always going to go all out if they were healthy enough to play.
Simply wrong.

They didn't go all out.

Starting TDK as sub is not going all out. It is half in, half out.

Who cares about your Dockers - not good enough this year didnt beat enough sides in the top 8.

2025 is a new season
I do. Your team made finals off the back of having an easy draw.

Made a preliminary final on 2023. Your draw? Richmond and North Melbourne twice lol.

Even with all the advantages AFL handed to you, blue baggers only got 8th. LoL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm talking about him and the others being selected in the 23 not the sub decision.
The sub is such a crucial decision though. He's leaning on TDK's reduced minutes being a factor in the result. Has he elaborated on why TDK, but not the others, had to be on those reduced minutes? Once they deployed the emergency button in the second quarter, TDK seemed to be on the field a lot.

So it looked like a case of "Hopefully we don't have to roll the dice. If we are getting pumped, then we'll roll the dice". Half in, half out.

The sub is such a crucial decision though. He's leaning on TDK's reduced minutes being a factor in the result. Has he elaborated on why TDK, but not the others, had to be on those reduced minutes? Once they deployed the emergency button in the second quarter, TDK seemed to be on the field a lot.

So it looked like a case of "Hopefully we don't have to roll the dice. If we are getting pumped, then we'll roll the dice". Half in, half out.
I listed to the press conference and don't remember him saying TDK's reduced minutes were a reason for the result. Regardless, it's clear it was a "half in half out" move to make him sub because he was probably right on the edge of not being selected due to his injury.

I listed to the press conference and don't remember him saying TDK's reduced minutes were a reason for the result. Regardless, it's clear it was a "half in half out" move to make him sub because he was probably right on the edge of not being selected due to his injury.
Apologies, when you asked that other poster what excuses Voss used for the loss, they said "TDK on reduced minutes" so I was taking their word for it. If Voss didn't lean on that then I withdraw my comment. FWIW TDK looked mobile and effective when out there, more so than Docherty.

Apologies, when you asked that other poster what excuses Voss used for the loss, they said "TDK on reduced minutes" so I was taking their word for it. If Voss didn't lean on that then I withdraw my comment. FWIW TDK looked mobile and effective when out there, more so than Docherty.
Yeh I just watched it back and all he said was they wanted to manage TDK's minutes and didn't want to put him when they did but just had to because of the scoreboard. And yes he was very good when he was on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 First Elimination Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 7th 7:30pm EST (Gabba) - Teams in OP

Back