Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 21 - Eagles v Suns Fri Aug 2nd 8:30pm AEST/6:30pm WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

GC will never be a serious team until they are held to account by their fans or treated as a real team by supporters.

Essendon have copped it for staying mid table and not improving (and rightly so) but Gold Coast have an absurdly talented list that cannot surpass 10 wins, yet they won't be put under the same microscope as Essendon because people simply don't care enough. I can accept that their are many players under 24 that are yet to hit their prime but they simply should be pushing for finals with the talent that is brimming from every area of the list. The AFL literally handed them the no.2 pick simply because he was good mates with Matt Rowell, there are no more excuses.

They've never finished better than 12th despite being handed more AFL ready talent than any other side in history, including GWS. The haul they've had in the last few years is beyond silly.

Not sure it's his fault. His forwards should compete so many times the defender just passed them to the ball
It was like they (WC) set up to read his hack kicks and attack off them. There was immense pressure and he did very well winning so many contests - an absolute bull - but he either lacked composure or had not support at all. Altho to their credit WC pressure was really high.

There were a few but most seemed to go to a WCE player or a contest where WCE won it.

So many turnovers.
Yeah there was just a point where it seemed he'd win every contested ball then turn it over. It'd be so frustrating.

GC will never be a serious team until they are held to account by their fans or treated as a real team by supporters.

Essendon have copped it for staying mid table and not improving (and rightly so) but Gold Coast have an absurdly talented list that cannot surpass 10 wins, yet they won't be put under the same microscope as Essendon because people simply don't care enough. I can accept that their are many players under 24 that are yet to hit their prime but they simply should be pushing for finals with the talent that is brimming from every area of the list. The AFL literally handed them the no.2 pick simply because he was good mates with Matt Rowell, there are no more excuses.

They've never finished better than 12th despite being handed more AFL ready talent than any other side in history, including GWS. The haul they've had in the last few years is beyond silly.
Have you ever been to the Gold Coast? Imagine living there as a young man playing footy. Beaches, beautiful women, money and coke everywhere.

The place lacks the intensity to create champion footy sides. Its always summertime and the living is easy.

Its not just AFL - tell me how many national champion sides in any sport come from the Goldy?

It was like they (WC) set up to read his hack kicks and attack off them. There was immense pressure and he did very well winning so many contests - an absolute bull - but he either lacked composure or had not support at all. Altho to their credit WC pressure was really high.
It can't be a coincidence every clearance kick forward was picked. Sure they can set up for it but the onus is still on the forward to create a contest, even if WC were setting up for it.

It's hard for the clearing kicker as they don't have the time to look before clearing. Sure 1 or 2 perhaps he could have but broadly I find it harsh to blame him for the outcome.

Have you ever been to the Gold Coast? Imagine living there as a young man playing footy. Beaches, beautiful women, money and coke everywhere.

The place lacks the intensity to create champion footy sides. Its always summertime and the living is easy.

Its not just AFL - tell me how many national champion sides in any sport come from the Goldy?

Individual sports seem to do well, but team sports you are spot on.

NRL have also poured millions into their failed experiment.

Individual sports seem to do well, but team sports you are spot on.

NRL have also poured millions into their failed experiment.
AFL, multiple NRL sides, Soccer, Basketball, Rah Rah I think every team ever at a national level has failed.

It can't be a coincidence every clearance kick forward was picked. Sure they can set up for it but the onus is still on the forward to create a contest, even if WC were setting up for it.

It's hard for the clearing kicker as they don't have the time to look before clearing. Sure 1 or 2 perhaps he could have but broadly I find it harsh to blame him for the outcome.
Yeah, its one of those things. he was always under heaps of pressure or the perceived pressure of every other time he won the clearance and I agree about players upfield contesting. But also no one shepherding or blocking to give him an extra half a second. But for years we had player like Ziebell who'd just hack it forward from the contest while other players we had, Cunnington for example, could create time and space for themselves and the difference was huge in terms of how we retained the ball and moved forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 21 - Eagles v Suns Fri Aug 2nd 8:30pm AEST/6:30pm WST (OS)

Back