Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 83 30.0%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 89 32.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Love what Mitchell has done with this team and would love them to beat the Dogs - but I don't see how this isn't a belting by the Dogs. Mismatch in the midfield will expose a sub-par Hawks defence. But heck, I hope I'm wrong.

Love what Mitchell has done with this team and would love them to beat the Dogs - but I don't see how this isn't a belting by the Dogs. Mismatch in the midfield will expose a sub-par Hawks defence. But heck, I hope I'm wrong.
Sub-par? We have had the best rated defence in the second half of the year.

Sub-par? We have had the best rated defence in the second half of the year.
Since the bye (both teams had 9 games post bye)

Hawthorn conceded a total of 578 points playing the bottom 3 plus a Carlton side that suffered so many in match injuries that they had one player who could not run in the 18 with no interchange. They played 3 of the finalists in that stretch (including that injury struck Carlton)

Bulldogs conceded 617 points with 2 bottom 3 opponents (NM both times) and 5 finalists.

Hawthorn having the best defence through that period is what I would call a statistical anomaly.

It should be a good game, but confident the Bulldogs can get the job done with their greater experience.

Hawthorn conceded a total of 578 points playing the bottom 3 plus a Carlton side that suffered so many in match injuries that they had one player who could not run in the 18 with no interchange. They played 3 of the finalists in that stretch (including that injury struck Carlton)

Bulldogs conceded 617 points with 2 bottom 3 opponents (NM both times) and 5 finalists.

Hawthorn having the best defence through that period is what I would call a statistical anomaly.

It should be a good game, but confident the Bulldogs can get the job done with their greater experience.
Hawthorn have had the best defense since Round 8, not just the bye

Anyone can manipulate stats to suit any angle or argument but let’s agree both sides are very well credentialed and can go all the way! Can’t bloody wait for the game …..
The discussion started from giantsully saying our defense is sub par. Saying we have had the best rated defence since round 8 isn't manipulating the stats, it's evidence to the contrary. Bulldogs don't really have anything to do with this argument at all.

But yes, I agree with the rest. Friday can't come soon enough!

Got a hawks mate who's in the mcc missed out on tickets, but his old saints fan mate managed to get two and i'm going to surprise him, haven't told him yet to build suspense, hope they get the W for him. :D
I have 2 Saints supporting mates and I missed out on MCC
I really hope you're one of those mates 😜

(Hawthorn) Statistically the better defensive team

Bulldog Supporter: "That's a statistical anomaly"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

High scoring game. R9 2024. Hawks by 7
Low scoring game r22 2023. Hawks by 3

Will be close

I’m not saying a repeat, often the opposite happens, but those saying the dogs are clearly better, explain why they didn’t actually win, given huge ladder discrepancy both times?

Season on the line for bulldogs in 2023 too

Last edited:
Bont Liba Treloar Richards
vs
Newcombe Worpel Nash Maginness?

Enormous gulf in ability between those 2 quartets
Enormous gulf in top-end ability between Hawthorn and the bulldogs. Line up both sides school-yard style and pick the best 10. Would be at least 7-3 Dogs way

Bontempelli
Treloar
Ugle-Hagan
Darcy
Liberatore
English
Dale
Moore
D'Ambrosio
Newcombe

If the Hawks are to win its on system and having all 23 players contribute.

Hawk's defence is so good that you'll likely spend near on $2M of salary upgrading it over the off-season. Don't kid yourself, it's done well to date, but finals is a different story.
We can always get better. There will never be a situation where a team feels they couldn't get better. You are always striving to improve or you get left behind.

Hawk's defence is so good that you'll likely spend near on $2M of salary upgrading it over the off-season. Don't kid yourself, it's done well to date, but finals is a different story.
It really does suck for Hawthorn that this only applies to one side. I’m extremely disappointed.

Real issue that finals is a different story for Hawthorn this year

Glad its not an issue for 7 other sides

Spare me

cant argue with the midfield comparisons....will day is a massive out for us....and the dogs are STACKED,

and on the defense, we have held up well by not allowing inside 50s...once oppo get it in there, we concede scores....simple as that....so we will need a huge game from our mids to win this one....if the dogs get on top in the midfield, we will be in trouble

nothing to lose though, and our guys have definitely proven themselves on some big occasions....hoping its a cracker

We can always get better. There will never be a situation where a team feels they couldn't get better. You are always striving to improve or you get left behind.
Yeh der, but your list managers have looked at your list and decided the area it's going hard is the key defensive posts. Do you think that's a coincidence? Do you think that's a ringing endorsement of the current cattle to deliver you a premiership?

Guess what Hawks fans - your team's not the finished product and it's highly likely you'll get exposed by a very good forward line in your first final in years. It's nothing to get defensive about, you've done brilliantly and you'll continue to get better.

And btw I'll be cheering for you madly on Friday night.

cant argue with the midfield comparisons....will day is a massive out for us....and the dogs are STACKED,

and on the defense, we have held up well by not allowing inside 50s...once oppo get it in there, we concede scores....simple as that....so we will need a huge game from our mids to win this one....if the dogs get on top in the midfield, we will be in trouble

nothing to lose though, and our guys have definitely proven themselves on some big occasions....hoping its a cracker
Be careful what you say - this was exactly my argument and I felt the Hok wrath.

Yeah, releasing Sicily and Weddle up the ground.

Going to be fun to watch in 2025.

Yeh der, but your list managers have looked at your list and decided the area it's going hard is the key defensive posts. Do you think that's a coincidence? Do you think that's a ringing endorsement of the current cattle to deliver you a premiership?

Guess what Hawks fans - your team's not the finished product and it's highly likely you'll get exposed by a very good forward line in your first final in years. It's nothing to get defensive about, you've done brilliantly and you'll continue to get better.

And btw I'll be cheering for you madly on Friday night.
You are still completely ignoring how well we have been defensively all year (well, at least after Round 5). As for the inclusions of Barrass and Battle, Barrass helps us with the monster KPF types like Cameron and Hogan, which we currently don't have an answer for. Battle gives us the flexibility to move the likes of Weddle and Hardwick around. It's a no-brainer to bring those guys in, they improve the make-up of our team, but to say our defence was an area of concern is just horse shit.

We are aware our team isn't complete, but that doesn't mean we're not going to pull you up when ignore facts.

Listening to Sam Mitchell, he has been glowing of the performances of Frost and Scrimshaw this year, arguing both have had career best years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Back