AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

I see the MCG claims to have upgraded the quality and variety of there food in the last year. http://www.mcg.org.au/News/News/2013/May/More Choices at MCG.aspx I haven't been for 12+ months so it would be interesting to know if this is mainly in the members areas, or at huge increases over the generic stuff. I wouldn't mind parting with say $25 if I was getting a couple of quality items but $15+ for a dry/cold hot dog if they are anything like at Footy Park, with sauce and drink I will pass on and get something outside.
Nope. Its around the whole ground. Still very expensive though

Adelaide heading for another heatwave, with 5 days over 38 over the next 6 days.

Construction workers must cease work when it hits 37 degrees or above, so if they don't work earlier in the day when it's cool, progress is going to be hit hard.

Will be interesting how they approach it cause there isn't a whole lot of room to move here. Still a lot of work to go with only 2 months left until it needs to be ready.

How many extra days do they have to play with between the handover date and the round 2 showdown?

If they lose 2 or 3 days due to the heat, are they going to potentially be behind the hand over date?

Is the stand going to be ready for the round 2 showdown and does the heat place it in any danger

How many extra days do they have to play with between the handover date and the round 2 showdown?

If they lose 2 or 3 days due to the heat, are they going to potentially be behind the hand over date?

Is the stand going to be ready for the round 2 showdown and does the heat place it in any danger

Think it all depends on how long the heatwave lasts for. If we get two weeks of 37+, surely that will hinder their efforts. I remember when the took the tender, I read that it MUST be completed by the due date, otherwise massive daily fines will occur. To avoid this, you think they would work on it 24/7 on the lead up to ensure completion.

Think it all depends on how long the heatwave lasts for. If we get two weeks of 37+, surely that will hinder their efforts. I remember when the took the tender, I read that it MUST be completed by the due date, otherwise massive daily fines will occur. To avoid this, you think they would work on it 24/7 on the lead up to ensure completion.

Weren't they going to get a million dollar bonus if they got the stand in before the due by date?

It's going to be awkward Port Adelaide or for the AFL if the stand isn't ready for the showdown.

Weren't they going to get a million dollar bonus if they got the stand in before the due by date?

It's going to be awkward Port Adelaide or for the AFL if the stand isn't ready for the showdown.

Going to be even more awkward if it isn't ready for The Rolling Stones.

More so for the people who have season tickets in that stand. They will be furious@

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I can't wait to get to Adelaide Oval for footy and I think it will be great, I have some genuine concerns about the ability of the Western stand to accommodate football crowds.

Having been to a heap of cricket over the summer, it seems that the toilet facilities - particularly at ground level - simply cannot cope with the rush of people at change of innings/qtr breaks.

Same can be said for the bars at the back of the stand - they really don't flow well and despite them having about 53 staff behind each bar, their ability to move people through quickly really isn't great. I really hope they keep the 'sails bar' on the grassed area as it really helps but I suspect they won't as the grass will just turn to muck with crowds marching over it in winter.

The lack of exits also seems to be an issue at the end of the game. Where AAMI had gates everywhere to exit, there are only two ways out of the Western stand and if you want to head South towards the city it's a nightmare with the crowd funneling onto the stairs up to the Southern Plaza.

The footy suffers more from these sorts of issues as the crowd moves in surges. Cricket not so much as people move around more freely during all periods of play.

I really look forward to going there and I think it is an awesome facility but I reckon they are going to get some real issues in that stand when it's packed. Hopefully they iron out some of the issues given that it really isn't finished yet. The facilities in the Southern stand really are a step above what the Western stand offers.

Maybe port will have to hang their tarps from the roof of the eastern stand to cover the whole grandstand/

While I can't wait to get to Adelaide Oval for footy and I think it will be great, I have some genuine concerns about the ability of the Western stand to accommodate football crowds.

Having been to a heap of cricket over the summer, it seems that the toilet facilities - particularly at ground level - simply cannot cope with the rush of people at change of innings/qtr breaks.

It looks like they have expanded the toilet facilities on level 3. What were rather lavish, yet small toilet facilities in 2010/11 have been replaced with your standard toilet block. I joked with my mate that they 'downgraded' the toilets, but for football in particular, those toilets will be far better than the 2010/11 set up.

I haven't seen the toilet facilities on level 1, but bear in mind that most of the crowd will be on level 3/4, so they will be the first ports of call for most people, and hopefully the facilities on level 1 can cope with the smaller numbers on levels 1/2.

Same can be said for the bars at the back of the stand - they really don't flow well and despite them having about 53 staff behind each bar, their ability to move people through quickly really isn't great. I really hope they keep the 'sails bar' on the grassed area as it really helps but I suspect they won't as the grass will just turn to muck with crowds marching over it in winter.

The western stand will probably have the worst food/bar facilities in the entire ground when it's complete. The two bars/kiosks on level 1 are destined to be overwhelmed. I, too, highly doubt there will be a Village Green/Sails Bar set up for the football (though rubber matting would help offset turning the grass to muck in winter), which will add extra pressure on the level 1 facilities.

The pop-up type bars on level 3 are going to see some serious queues at the breaks if the stand is packed, and I can see many people walking down to level 1 at half time, adding further pressure on the facilities down there. I was shocked that they made the bars on level 3 pop-up (I would have thought they would have made them fixed bars, given they will have equal need for both football and cricket), and for a $525 million redevelopment, having pop up bars and cash registers on trestle tables on level 3 is IMO unacceptable. I am quite concerned as to how the western stand will cope with a full stand at a football match, particularly if there's no Village Green-type set up.

The lack of exits also seems to be an issue at the end of the game. Where AAMI had gates everywhere to exit, there are only two ways out of the Western stand and if you want to head South towards the city it's a nightmare with the crowd funneling onto the stairs up to the Southern Plaza.

The footy suffers more from these sorts of issues as the crowd moves in surges. Cricket not so much as people move around more freely during all periods of play.

This is going to be a serious problem for the football. The western stand was only half full Wednesday night, yet there was gridlock at the southern end as they were all funnelled out to a side exit at the end of the South stand. With the majority of people entering/exiting the stadium from the south (as that's where the majority of PT/parking facilities will be based), when the stand is full, and you have twice the number of people in that stand as you had at the BBL, that is going to be a nightmare to exit and needs attention before round 2.

I really look forward to going there and I think it is an awesome facility but I reckon they are going to get some real issues in that stand when it's packed. Hopefully they iron out some of the issues given that it really isn't finished yet. The facilities in the Southern stand really are a step above what the Western stand offers.

You're spot on - it's an awesome facility, and they've done a good job with the retrofitting of the Western Stand, such as adding escalators from level 2 to 3 (though they still have the dopey method of having the north escalators going up and the south escalators going down both pre and post match, as opposed to the single escalator chain that goes up pre-game and down post-game that's in the Riverbank Stand), the larger toilet facilities on level 3, and people in levels 3/4 of the Western Stand will probably have the easiest route going down (the stairs seems to be better than the ones in the Riverbank Stand, plus public lift access, which I don't think the Riverbank Stand has), but there are still a few flaws that should have been addressed, as have been discussed above.

Wish we could get more sport shown in proper HD.

In the half an hour they had the cricket on GEM tonight, the Southern stand looked glorious on TV (just as it does if you are there live).

When I enquiries with the club about buying tickets at the western stand she stated the western stand isn't a footy stand and the eastern and southern will blow it away. Having said that, the western stand will have no sun, each stand will have its advantages.

When I enquiries with the club about buying tickets at the western stand she stated the western stand isn't a footy stand and the eastern and southern will blow it away. Having said that, the western stand will have no sun, each stand will have its advantages.
No sun in winter is an advantage?
Fine, freeze to death if you want...

Not a footy stand? That makes no sense. I was under the impression that the club itself was selling Essential Crow memberships for that very stand. I guess it's a conspiracy, corrupt administration is the only possible conclusion. :p

The Western Stand would be great to sit at. No sun to look at. For those saying you'll freeze, jumpers were invented for a reason, and the club sells comfy beanies too. I hope to grab myself an Essential Crow membership one day to sit in that very stand. For the moment, I'll stick with my season ticket undercover in the Southern Stand.

Not a footy stand? That makes no sense. I was under the impression that the club itself was selling Essential Crow memberships for that very stand. I guess it's a conspiracy, corrupt administration is the only possible conclusion. :p

The Western Stand would be great to sit at. No sun to look at. For those saying you'll freeze, jumpers were invented for a reason, and the club sells comfy beanies too. I hope to grab myself an Essential Crow membership one day to sit in that very stand. For the moment, I'll stick with my season ticket undercover in the Southern Stand.
I believe she meant better facilities in the eastern and southern stand as the viewing is different as you are more on top of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back