Biggest Slider from 2010: Norths
Goal Kicker: ?
Most expensive team: Saints
Most under-rated player: Ben Hallas
Most over-rated player: ?
Most loyal player in the league: Evan Hocking
Toughest bloke in the league: Nathan Freebody
Biggest Sook in the league: Tyson Lane

I will tell you something, and I dont even follow the Cutters, Chris is doing a very good job with the cattle he has at his disposal, I actually watched the entire game yesterday, and listened to him speak, he played a good game, although got to much of the ball in the back 50, and the 2 top sides will tear him apart if he does that against them, he encouraged his troops at all times, he acted in a very good manor, and not just because they were winning, and i personaaly thought conducted himself well, and represented the club as a leader should, so well done to him, and the cutters on a good display.

Premiers: Saints $1.40 Hawks $1.95
Wooden Spooners: Lions
League Medal: No standout, a roughie from 3rd-4th-5th side, Oughton??
Biggest Improver from 2010: Cutters, ordinary to good?
Biggest Slider from 2010: Port, unbeatable to fair?
Goal Kicker: Booth, Hallas, Noonan, all 65-75 goals, maybe Pittorino?
Most expensive team: Port, Trinity,
Most under-rated player: No 1 Cutters-Ruckman? Can play the kid!
Most over-rated player: Campbell - Trinity, early I know!
Most loyal player in the league: Marto-Saints
Toughest bloke in the league: Rundle, for longevity
Biggest Sooks in the league: Port supporters! Wont travel when losing!
Best Young talent: Wardle-Hawks,White-Lions,Doust-Port
Best Coach: Probably Kennedy?? Hawks guy seems ok, as does Coatsworth, both have good sides!!

Thats my thoughts and a very well made up question and answer selection.

Premiers: Saints
Wooden Spooners: Centrals
League Medal: Coatsworth
Biggest Improver from 2010: Souths (by the end of the year)
Biggest Slider from 2010: Norths
Goal Kicker: Pittorino
Most expensive team: Port
Most under-rated player: Powell (Saints)
Most over-rated player: ?
Most loyal player in the league: Marto (Saints)
Toughest bloke in the league: ?
Biggest Sook in the league:?
Best Young talent: ?
Best Coach: ?

Don't know enough about the league to comment definitively on people from opposition clubs, so it's mostly who's most likely from the Saints.

This will be interesting to re-visit about Queens Birthday Weekend time.

Have a go![/quote]

Spoon: Cities
League Medal: Coatsworth
Big Improver: Souths
Big Slider: Port, would have said Norths but last year they wern't doing much better
Goalkicker: Pittorino
Expensive team: Port
Most Underrated: Powell (Saints)
Most Overrated : Smith (Port)
Most Loyal : Josh Martin
Best Youngster: White (Lions)
Biggest Sook: Ellich
Toughest: Hocking
Best Coach : Coatsworth

Spoon: Cities
League Medal: Coatsworth/Hocking
Big Improver: Souths
Big Slider: Port
Goalkicker: Walsh... back in a couple weeks and will kick 10+ goals most games if the Saints keep winning by 100+ points
Expensive team: Hawks
Most Underrated: Tennick from Nths or Harth from Saints
Most Overrated : Smith from Port
Most Loyal : Martin and Finn from Saints
Best Youngster: Wardtle from Hawks
Biggest Sook: any of the Nth's players
Toughest: Hocking
Best Coach : hard to say obviously not South's only for the reason if you are the coach you should not be getting suspended

on another note 3-4 big ins for the Saints with Kennedy back for his first game this yr

Your a tool! Well said Watsons!.... Every club as an 'angry ant' at their club. The clubs heart beat thrives on the passionate blokes who can win a game from their own boot. He will win more games and inspire his team to many wins in 2011 making him a very important figure for the hawks.

anzac%20day%20afl%20cairns.jpg

Following the comments of Mick Malthouse on One HD and Herald Sun, i think AFL Cairns could do no worse than to make the Port v's Saints game the Anzac day match. The crowd numbers are Fretwell Park were low to say the least, the footy standard was ordinary in both grades and the sound system conveying the last post and tribute was hard to hear. The game is loosing its mark. I think the game should be played at Cazalys. Given more support by AFL Cairns, promoted around the clubs, juniors playing also and really celebrated. Be proactive and promote the Anzac Day game the way it deserves. Give the clubs good technical support, invite more RSL and Defence force reps and really get behind the day. There was not one AFL Cairns admin or manager present at the game. Do you think Andrew Demitriou was at home while ANZAC day game was being played. The powers to be need to get behind the game they manage and atleast represent the governing body at the only match of the round! Give the game to clubs who can get more than 50 people and lets really celebrate the day!

As for the game, Chris Adams (supa coach) plays a very isolated role similar to Kane Ricter. To try and inspire their respective teams with players in them who simply dont look like they want to be there on Anzac Day is disappointing. I would have thought it would have been a closer game but very disappointed. If the tigers could keep there players discipline and on the field and not wanting to fight spectators then they might be ok. But how long has discipline been an issue at Watsons Oval..... Blooding young kids and setting a good example is no good when you continually you play blokes in a team who get sent off, give away 50's and want to do their own thing on the field. They have no position in a team and at a club. I am referring to number 13 from the tigers. He is a goose! well done to cutters for a good game and clean when it counted!

Centrals are on the right track and Lee Campbell looks the real deal. Saints will win the comp hands down and i dont think they will be challenged this year! Relton Roberts, very talented but from all reports, is not 100% focused on footy and wants to go home. Looking forward to seeing Walsh's return

Good Luck on the weekend!

It should always be the reigning premiers, no arguments.

Saints appear to have it all to lose, but I think Hawks will push them, so not all over yet by a long way. Very long season.

I agree Saint. Everyone had locked in Port for the flag last season and look what happened. I think Port and Hawks will be major threats to Saints chances of doing it again and if reports of Port gaining several from NT are true, it should be tight at the top come september

It was Souths & Norths who can up with the idea in the north a few seasons ago,they went to AFL Cairns with the proposal & no other club was interested, so thats why these two do it every year, now you johnny come lately supporters want it for your club, well why didn't your admins when the allocation of the draw first came out put their hands up for it, because it wasn't up for discussion for you to take it. There was admin staff from AFL Cairns there but then again if don't know them you might have missed them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with the idea that the Grand Finalists from the year before should haveit. It doesn't matter whose idea it was, if they cant get a crowd then surely you need to improve it. Get right behind it and get the kids playing curtain raisers etc as readycns stated.

Having said all that, I wouldn't want to be involved! I enjoy a beer with the old diggers after the dawn service and watching the Pies V Dons every year. It would be a pain in the arse if we had to give that up for local footy.

And as for Saints having the Cup in the bag already....I'm not too sure about that

Tamba, Re Anzac day clash,
You goose!
Sounds like you the type who will take your bat & ball and go home if you don't get your own way.
Fair bit of tunnel vision there old chap.....

Saint, teamwork, Lach agree with comments of having a set criteria to work with re teams to play on this day. You need the best players on this day playing if you want to get the best spectical the day deserves. Make it a showcase event.
To Readycns, in fairness the reason it may not of been the best clash was due to Anzac day falling over easter this year. Too many players / supporters leave town for the easter period. I know what i did, i rather be sipping mar tinnies at Port Douglas rather than listen to some one eyed supporter ranting and raving from the bleaches of Fretwell that the umpire missed a free...

Tamba, Re Anzac day clash,
You goose!
Sounds like you the type who will take your bat & ball and go home if you don't get your own way.
Fair bit of tunnel vision there old chap.....

Saint, teamwork, Lach agree with comments of having a set criteria to work with re teams to play on this day. You need the best players on this day playing if you want to get the best spectical the day deserves. Make it a showcase event.
To Readycns, in fairness the reason it may not of been the best clash was due to Anzac day falling over easter this year. Too many players / supporters leave town for the easter period. I know what i did, i rather be sipping mar tinnies at Port Douglas rather than listen to some one eyed supporter ranting and raving from the bleaches of Fretwell that the umpire missed a free...

Better than listening to the mob whinge from Port D bar who WONT travel to games away.

No tunnel vision there, if your clubs didn't want it in the first place why some supporters come now and say you want it , & some of you saying as well, don't want to give up the day watching the tube. At least Norths & Souths are trying something.

If you feel so patriot about playing on Anzac Day ASK YOUR CLUB ADMINISTRATORS to schedule a game on that day. If not get over it.

I'm finished on this subject it seems to happen every year some club supporters whines "why not us"

Better than listening to the mob whinge from Port D bar who WONT travel to games away.

No tunnel vision there, if your clubs didn't want it in the first place why some supporters come now and say you want it , & some of you saying as well, don't want to give up the day watching the tube. At least Norths & Souths are trying something.

If you feel so patriot about playing on Anzac Day ASK YOUR CLUB ADMINISTRATORS to schedule a game on that day. If not get over it.

I'm finished on this subject it seems to happen every year some club supporters whines "why not us"

I think what people are saying Tamba is that if there is a game at all, (and that's another debate), then there should be only one, and it should be the best two teams. And I agree. However, again, I would be well annoyed if it were us as I believe ANZAC Day to be sacred, and meant to spent time with if possible, or thinking about what those who went before us sacrificed so that we can live the way we do today in this great land. Traditionally that meant the dawn service, the mid morning march, a few cold ales and some two up. I don't see why anyone should need to give that up for a local game of bush footy. Leave it to the big stage of the AFL. If you want to start a traditional game then do it on another long weekend. Just my view.

2 wins for Saints yesterday. Ressies got things started with a good 100pt win. Not many stand outs in a even performance. The seniors had it a bit tougher against a CTB side playing keepings off more than anything. It was a good tactic to deny the Saints the footy but never really looked threatening going forward. With hardly a player in their 2's looking like they had played alot of footy, CTB will hope that they are injury free for most of the season to be part of the finals action. Saints will be a little disappointed in the way they played with coach Coatsworth having a BOG day to make sure Saints got the points.

Re the Anzac Day clash, suggest you ring the source & check - AFL Cairns. I was told 3 years ago that the game is played between the last 2 foundation members of the League, no idea if it was offered to any other teams at any stage. I won't offer a comment about the quality of football recently however there has been good crowds at Watsons the last 2 times they have held it.

Re Anzac Day clash, Dissapointed to hear debate but thats life, just a few notes to clarify things. AFL Cairns did have a rep there on the day, Melissa Dunstan, and also spotted Jason, manager of Cazaly's popped in. The crowd I thought was good approx 270 paying supporters, not counting the ones who got in early before the gate lady set up, or the ones who decided to roll under the gate behind the canteen, (yes it was noticed), not counting the clubs members who dont pay to get in, so I estimate 300+, of course Cazaly's would be a fine venue to hold these games but the clubs would need to compensated accordingly, a sticking point I would imagine for AFL Cairns, and of course all the other clubs once they got wind of it, hard to keep everyone happy, but we keep trying.:thumbsu:

The poor crowd was probably more due to the holidays/easter than the two teams.

I don't think many other match-ups would draw bigger crowds anyway. Even a GF rematch wouldn't be that much over.

Perhaps best left the way it is, to steadily grow between two foundation clubs.

I don't think any other clubs or players are particularly concerned or wanting to do it themselves anyway.

Same debate as last year for the most part.

Dont feed the troll, this is just another attempt by the below-the-belt shot taking Readycns to push forward his agenda against Norths..He obviously wasn't there and is just making up rubbish to make it sound like he has a good idea / knows what he is talking about when he clearly doesn't.

Norths play Souths every year for ANZAC Day, its the way it is, its already a tradition, its something players and spectators(the ones I spoke to) look forward too, its a good thing, end of discussion in my opinion.

Shouldn't matter if either team are wooden spooners or premiers from last year, new things are being tried to attract people to local footy and by all accounts having an annual rivalry clash has been working.

Don't like it? Don't come. But don't bash it, because honestly, nobody cares what you think anyway. Fair Dinkum, get a life mate.

HTP - Being abit harsh on Ready?? Thought he has some valid points regarding RSL and defence force personnel attending and getting the kids playing as well etc but anyway as saint mentioned it best left as is as interest from other clubs may not be there.

What i personaly like to see is more night or twilight footy trialed. We are in the tropics so lets utilise it. Good to see Crathern getting lights up soon. Get Fretty lights up to a better standard then we will have 3 good venues to play. Night games on Friday and twilight on Saturday afternoon / night would be good. Have to work out what the 16's would do on a Fridy though. My thoughts only..

Completely agree about the twilight matches. The more the better. If anything it allows us twos to get out of the sunniest part of the day.

Friday night games also a goer, particularly for long weekends. These are a bit more difficult for the twos as they would have to be there by 430pm for a 530pm kick off, with the ones at 730pm

Completely agree about the twilight matches. The more the better. If anything it allows us twos to get out of the sunniest part of the day.

Friday night games also a goer, particularly for long weekends. These are a bit more difficult for the twos as they would have to be there by 430pm for a 530pm kick off, with the ones at 730pm

Agree also but games have to be played at Cazalys where the quality of light is best. Fretwell has 99% lights fixed, much prefer to watch day games under natural light, as I dont belive lights are up to scratch for the spectator. Havent been to CTB, hope the quality doesnt diminish spectator enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back