Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most adults know that Ginnivan’s tweet was a tease to his mate that they were coming to get them in a fortnight. He almost certainly didn’t think about its context or how it might be perceived by others before posting it. I doubt he consciously meant any disrespect to Port. He probably didn’t even think about how public that forum is. He seems a pretty simple kid. I don’t blame Hinkley or Port for using it as motivation but Hinkley’s carry on after the game was pathetically juvenile. Embarrassingly juvenile.

Cannot lead if you behave like this’: More Hinkley backlash as AFL issues ‘please explain’​

“The problem lies with the club. This is not how you want your club represented. Leave that to the people in the stands who are shouting out over the top of their stubby or their beers. Leave it to them. Leave it to the players if they have angst that with each other.

“But the coach has to be beyond reproach. He must be a pillar of the society that is that football club and he let himself down and he can’t resile from that.

“This is your club representative, the man who is the icon of your club at this time making those comments. It is a poor representation

This is it in a nutshell. A senior AFL coach should rise above and be the bigger person as a leader of the club, and by extension, the fanbase itself. Unfortunately Hinkley has a penchant for being no better than the toothless nuffies in the crowd. No wonder they feel they can abuse players carte blanch as they come off the ground...

I think most adults know that Ginnivan’s tweet was a tease to his mate that they were coming to get them in a fortnight. He almost certainly didn’t think about its context or how it might be perceived by others before posting it. I doubt he consciously meant any disrespect to Port. He probably didn’t even think about how public that forum is. He seems a pretty simple kid. I don’t blame Hinkley or Port for using it as motivation but Hinkley’s carry on after the game was pathetically juvenile. Embarrassingly juvenile.
this is it

Hinkley and Port deciding to use Ginnivan's tweet as motivation is fair enough - if it works, it works, although you wouldn't have thought they'd need any extra motivation to avoid losing a fifth straight final and getting bundled out in straight sets again - but if they were actually offended or upset by it they've got rocks in their head.

Hinkley and Port deciding to use Ginnivan's tweet as motivation is fair enough - if it works, it works, although you wouldn't have thought they'd need any extra motivation to avoid losing a fifth straight final and getting bundled out in straight sets again - but if they were actually offended or upset by it they've got rocks in their head.
Doubt the players were offended. No real emotion in the game toward him.

Hit a raw nerve with Ken though.

I fully appreciate and respect Welcome to Country, but before every Final is over kill

Really is risking becoming a cliche and tick a box exercise.

Why wouldn't it be before every final? They're separate events, often in different stadiums and even different states. They're likely to be entirely different Aboriginal communities. The Welcome to Country is about highlighting the cultural significance of a specific area, not Australia as a whole. It would seem disrespectful to have a blanket welcome to country at the beginning of the finals as if the Aboriginal people are just a monolith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So GWS can't even fill their tiny showground horse track stadium for a final. Pathetic and shows how much the club was wanted.

They have 37k members so that can't be right. Must be a full stadium or maybe they're all out the back in the tents

Just zero atmosphere at this game. Can talk as much shit as you want about the power but they have actual fans that create a loud and hostile environment.
So do other clubs have that atmosphere.
This is being played in a place that probably give the least shit about AFL, not a shock.

Brisbane already looking timid by foot. Worried about turning over so safe chips and eventually bombs to a pack.

This is why they ultimately falter so often in big games (and why we falter in almost all games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back