Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how tight the ladder was this year, you would expect tight Finals.

So far, not the case.

With how inequitable the fixture is and the amount of bad teams, the old adage of the Ladder being a true reflection of ranking the teams in terms of quality is null and void.

Will only get worse with Tasmania and a 20th side joining the league as the talent base being further diluted.

The fixture is increasingly becoming a factor. Port's easy fixture (again) compared to say Brisbane's or GWS's is the only reason Port finished 2nd.

Hahah you seen our board? No footy knowledge at all, just a bunch of corporates who want another thing to put on their CV

Members voting rights now!
Corporates?

Might want to look at Hawthorn's board....

Since 2018, Hawthorn have:
  • bottomed out
  • drafted Ward, Day, Watson and McDonald at the national draft
  • picked up Newcombe in the mid season draft (insane)
  • traded in Impey, Amon and Scrimshaw (weapons by foot) as well as Ginnivan and Meek
  • risen to be a genuine premiership threat
  • about to bring in Barrass

Meanwhile we have:
  • not made finals at all
  • just finished 15th
  • Crouch and Laird still running our midfield
  • only just retired Sloane because a doctor basically forced him
  • just re-signed Walker and Smith
  • extended the coach for two years
  • publically chastised a young talented player

It's actually pure comedy.

Last year when we were robbed of a finals spot and probably had our rebuild destroyed because of that. I compared us to Hawthorn in the contrast of how the two teams handle the adversity.

I always said Hawthorn will have a bright future ahead. They could make the preliminary final this year after starting 0-5.

And look at Geelong, 14th preliminary final since 2004. Incredible performance last night and a lot of their young defenders really stood up and then you have Dangerfield, what else do I say.

Adelaide, many chances, maybe the 3rd or 4th best record in the AFL from 2002-2017 but years of underachieving, a single and rather forgetful Grand Final all for that!. Had to rebuild, were heading in the right direction in 2023 but then came the major stuff up but that was not in their control.

Then the free to air games, expectation. Walker is also past his prime. They just imploded beyond belief, that awful game against Richmond pretty much summed up the season.

Said it when Hawks belted us, they were the best team I've seen play all year. We were just hanging on for 2 quarters basically.
Hawks countered and we had no move to counter back.

Just like Port last night, Cats countered how they wanted to play and they didn't have a move to counter back. Nicks and Hinkley looking like two sides of the same coin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson reminded why I was so big on him in the draft. Had him at number 2. Impact per possession is huge.
I Love That For You Mom GIF by Originals

Am I the only one that can’t stand the Hawks? I miss when the other 17 clubs also hated them too haha

I don't like them at all, because watching them play makes me feel very bad about how the Crows are going in comparison.

If they lose maybe it softens the blow about how far ahead of us they are (but not really)

Are people still clinging to this idea that the club has a problem with Rash's enthusiastic celebrations? They don't. He's been doing it all year and its never been a problem.

Whatever the issue was around team values, I don't think it's ever been about the exuberance his goal celebrations.

Am I the only one that can’t stand the Hawks? I miss when the other 17 clubs also hated them too haha
They’re in the Geelong tier of ‘don’t like, but highly respect’, for mine

Only Port and Richmond are in my ‘hate’ tier

I don't particularly like them, but I respect the way they go about it. Same as Collingwood, Geelong and Sydney.

I think they're w***ers, but I can't help but admire that they're embracing the "fun" side of footy. They have characters and they're encouraging it. For far too long footy was not allowed to be fun. You weren't allowed to enjoy wins because that's getting ahead of yourself. Mitchell might have figured out the new generation. And yeah, you always get more leeway on those kinds of things when you're winning, but chicken or egg?

I want them to waltz into the prelim on the back of an almighty win, but once in the prelim I want them to get pantsed.

They’re in the Geelong tier of ‘don’t like, but highly respect’, for mine

Only Port and Richmond are in my ‘hate’ tier

Port and Carlton in my hate tier.

Hawks, Cats, Pies, Swans, WC - kudos to how they're run. Don't mind them winning.

Enjoy watching Norf, Saints ,Bullflogs lose as they shouldn't be in an elite national competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back