Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Port and Carlton in my hate tier.

Hawks, Cats, Pies, Swans, WC - kudos to how they're run. Don't mind them winning.

Enjoy watching Norf, Saints ,Bullflogs lose as they shouldn't be in an elite national competition.
This would be my like-to-hate tiers:

Likeable: GWS, Brisbane, West Coast
Don’t mind: Collingwood, Dogs (mainly bc Bont), Freo
Meh: Melbourne, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Norf, Essendon
Don’t like, respect: Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney
Don’t like: Carlton
Hate: Richmond, Port

Given how tight the ladder was this year, you would expect tight Finals.

So far, not the case.

With how inequitable the fixture is and the amount of bad teams, the old adage of the Ladder being a true reflection of ranking the teams in terms of quality is null and void.

Will only get worse with Tasmania and a 20th side joining the league as the talent base being further diluted.
I have said it before and I will say it again. I am convinced that the comp needs to go to two divisions of ten teams each with relegation and promotion.

• Ensures an actual home and away comp instead of the absolute steaming pile of turd fixture we have now.
  • Ensures most games are played between relatively even teams.
  • Ensures almost all home and away games actually mean something.
  • Ensures a top 5 finals system that rewards teams appropriately (ie. minor premier really counts)

I’ve had people push back on this idea saying it wouldn’t work but no one has yet made any convincing arguments why that would be so… it’s always nitpicking and none of the alleged drawbacks make it any less appealing to me.

Anyhow, have made my yearly post regarding a two division, relegation and promotion system… I’ll see you all next year when I bang on this same drum!

This would be my like-to-hate tiers:

Likeable: GWS, Brisbane, West Coast
Don’t mind: Collingwood, Dogs (mainly bc Bont), Freo
Meh: Melbourne, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Norf, Essendon
Don’t like, respect: Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney
Don’t like: Carlton
Hate: Richmond, Port
Carlton absolutely belong in the Hate category. They’re the worst… other than Port.

Wanted the Dogs to succeed but looks like the modern game has gone past them. Hawks and Geelong have these incredible small and half forwards while Dogs are running guys like Harmes, Galligher, McNeil, Vandameer or rotating a slow mid. Too slow and crap ball use.

Think we are ok in this area, Keays, Rankine, Rash and ANB is a good start. Murphy would be a bevo lovechild.

Wanted the Dogs to succeed but looks like the modern game has gone past them. Hawks and Geelong have these incredible small and half forwards while Dogs are running guys like Harmes, Galligher, McNeil, Vandameer or rotating a slow mid. Too slow and crap ball use.

Think we are ok in this area, Keays, Rankine, Rash and ANB is a good start. Murphy would be a bevo lovechild.
Dogs are wasting their top-end talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people still clinging to this idea that the club has a problem with Rash's enthusiastic celebrations? They don't. He's been doing it all year and its never been a problem.

Whatever the issue was around team values, I don't think it's ever been about the exuberance his goal celebrations.
Lol it was 100% the celebration

I also sense there is no picking order...all are equals...meanwhile if the AFC could have Lords and Serfs we would.

And I think that might be the key to success.

We are all in this together and we all equal. Just consider players like Breust and Gunston get dropped or are made sub. They just get on with it and accept it.

At the end of the day, team success is far better than individual success.

Hawk culture shits all over our culture.

Hahah you seen our board? No footy knowledge at all, just a bunch of corporates who want another thing to put on their CV

Members voting rights now!

Most football boards have predominantly corporate people on their boards with a couple of past players thrown in. The difference tho is in the quality of the corporate individuals.

The problem with Adelaide tho is we are a very clicky town.

Am I the only one that can’t stand the Hawks? I miss when the other 17 clubs also hated them too haha
I like the way they play and I like how it shows how much we’ve ****ed up appointing nicks.
Hopefully it brings our admin some sense soon.

I have said it before and I will say it again. I am convinced that the comp needs to go to two divisions of ten teams each with relegation and promotion.

• Ensures an actual home and away comp instead of the absolute steaming pile of turd fixture we have now.
  • Ensures a top 5 finals system that rewards teams appropriately (ie. minor premier really counts)

I’ve had people push back on this idea saying it wouldn’t work but no one has yet made any convincing arguments why that would be so… it’s always nitpicking and none of the alleged drawbacks make it any less appealing to me.

Anyhow, have made my yearly post regarding a two division, relegation and promotion system… I’ll see you all next year when I bang on this same drum!
It sounds good except the interest would die severely when relegated.

I acruallybdonfbmind this

AFL and AFL2

20 teams works thsonly problem I for see is crowd numbers.

There will be less people / less revenue / less viable

But you will have 2 finals series and the idea of promotion and relegation strikes a new opportunity to reinvent revenue opportunities

I would tweak it a little and lose the relegation and have 2 conferences ie western and eastern

Allows each city their double up games
Final 5 games are a mix of the other Conference
Play final 5 and play a Super GF between the 2 winners

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back