Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I have said it before and I will say it again. I am convinced that the comp needs to go to two divisions of ten teams each with relegation and promotion.

• Ensures an actual home and away comp instead of the absolute steaming pile of turd fixture we have now.
  • Ensures most games are played between relatively even teams.
  • Ensures almost all home and away games actually mean something.
  • Ensures a top 5 finals system that rewards teams appropriately (ie. minor premier really counts)

I’ve had people push back on this idea saying it wouldn’t work but no one has yet made any convincing arguments why that would be so… it’s always nitpicking and none of the alleged drawbacks make it any less appealing to me.

Anyhow, have made my yearly post regarding a two division, relegation and promotion system… I’ll see you all next year when I bang on this same drum!
It would work in regards to maintaining an elite standard of Aussie Rules at the top level.

But no good for TV/Revenue.

The AFL is a TV/Theatre league. Basically one step above Wrestling.

Hawks are playing elite football, they can beat anyone with what they produced last night.

Must be the David MacKay development coach influence

Hawthorn’s pressure is elite in terms of how they get after the ground ball, and awesome field kicking skills

Like Breust 300th game, they will be up and about this week, no drop off against Port

I can’t see Port handling Hawthorn’s pressure

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Again, despite everyone banging on about it, the hawks are not young or inexperienced. They are absolutely middle of the pack for both.

Saltiest salt: I will never get on their bandwagon. The only thing worse than their absolutely-bloated-with-success supporters getting more success is them laughing and feeling like geniuses along the way.

Well the footy IQ levels are starting to be unmasked in the coaching boxes and on field as imperative to success.
Chris Scott & Sam Mitchell bring the full packages and get the job done.

Meanwhile over in Adelaide we sip the cool aide as we watch our local ambassadors get exposed and we have another two years of black hole it seems before we even think about turning towards the light. "The pride of..." Be ****ed!

Who is the last person to be a Premiership Captain and Coach for the same club?

Even winning a Premiership and coaching one at the same club is rare.
John Worsfold Prem Captain 94@96 and Prem Coach 2006.

Blighty @ Woodville 1985 no Prem unfortunately but playing Captain / Coach and 126 Goals was half decent.

Hard to beleive with the gifts the Bulldogs got through father sons and Academies that they haven't done more. Some of the Victorian media were seduced by the Bulldogs because didn't watch us and Port flog them towards the end of the year.
Dogs were the most hot and cold team this year imo (more so than Port). Were always unlikely to play 4 high quality games in a row.

Their song “history in the making” got it wrong in a negative way
I love that line. One of the most factual lines in any song. The list is quite something.

Worst 4 final stretch in history.
Only team in history to be on top of the ladder after every single round of a season and not win the flag.
Only team in history to be on top of the ladder after every single round of a season and not even make the grand final.
First team to lose to Gold Coast.
First team to lose to BOTH Gold Coast and GWS.
Worst losing margin in a grand final (a whopping 24% higher than the second worst).
Longest serving coach without a Grand Final at a single club.
Longest serving coach without a Grand Final regardless of number of clubs.

I'm sure there are plenty others I'm forgetting.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that line. One of the most factual lines in any song. The list is quite something.

Worst 4 final stretch in history.
Only team in history to be on top of the ladder after every single round of a season and not win the flag.
Only team in history to be on top of the ladder after every single round of a season and not even make the grand final.
First team to lose to Gold Coast.
First team to lose to BOTH Gold Coast and GWS.
Worst losing margin in a grand final (a whopping 24% higher than the second worst).

I'm sure there are plenty others I'm forgetting.
Dream final.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't like seeing this, the potential to cause injury here is insane, it's an attempted king hit and he should get multiple weeks for this, but probably won't. This is way worse than any sling tackle

You don’t miss from that close.
Full on punch in the shoulder but agree could cause injury more than a gut punch.

Hey footy frens- one last favour.
Can whoever put up that GIF with Cameron on the fence and the toofless Port crowd whanker please post it on our board?
Can' find it again, but was funnier than Sav falling over, as were all your comments.
2040198fee256aa97fc70cc38827f9d2
Jezz seems to have good teeth ... Port fans OTOH...
jezza_no-teeth-gif.2101542

I didn't like seeing this, the potential to cause injury here is insane, it's an attempted king hit and he should get multiple weeks for this, but probably won't. This is way worse than any sling tackle

Yeah saw that last night, the pooooootemtial to cause injury was massive he is really damn lucky he didn’t connect well otherwise it would have been double digits on the sidelines.

I reckon the dogs will have him make a public apology as well as his punishment

Hawks have a good knack of firing the opposition players up. Must be very lippy and provide plenty of niggle. Is working well for them as it seems to put the opposition off most weeks.

I remember in our game there was quite a few instances of our players over reacting to their forwards and giving away sill frees.

Lol it was 100% the celebration
Yeah, but the point is it was that specific celebration, tied in with the broader antagonizing of an oppo supporter base, that was the issue - not his usual excitability.

His normal animated and enthusiastic goal celebrations - exactly like those that the Hawks players did last night - have never been an issue.

FWIW I don't have any issue at all with what he said about the Port supporters (and the celebration that ensued in-game), but it's apples and oranges to compare that to his usual carry on (and that of the Hawks players last night).

Well the footy IQ levels are starting to be unmasked in the coaching boxes and on field as imperative to success.
Chris Scott & Sam Mitchell bring the full packages and get the job done.

Meanwhile over in Adelaide we sip the cool aide as we watch our local ambassadors get exposed and we have another two years of black hole it seems before we even think about turning towards the light. "The pride of..." Be ****ed!
Reckon the contrast has been even greater in highlighting how to properly turnover and rebuild a list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back