Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised people are having a go at Hinkley.

It was incredibly arrogant by Hawthorn to just accept their players disrespecting Port.

The entire industry had just shrugged them off after a bad game, when it was obvious Port had moved onto next week half way through last week's game.

Clearly Port was going to come back firing so I have no idea why you'd just disrespect them and fire them up.

Honestly, good on Hinkley at firing back.

Last edited:

If Port can beat Sydney at the SCG in a final after
  1. Getting flogged by Geelong at home in an embarassing display
  2. Almost losing to Hawthorn after keeping them goalless for a quarter and a half and needing to use Instagram comments as extra motivation to fire them up for a win
Then fair play to them. It would be Hinkley's best ever finals performance by a mile and well above the norm for his 12 year showing of ability
Sydney probably should have lost last week, have been mediocre for two months and lost to Port by 20 goals in round 21.

It was incredibly arrogant by Hawthorn to just accept their players disrespecting Port.

It’s very immature by Hinkley, posting to an old teammate on Instagram vs running up and taunting a player after they’ve lost when you’re a senior coach is pathetic

I think you could tell the players were even a bit embarrassed

Last edited:
It’s what you’d expect any coach to do, and they won. You just don’t mouth off before a game. You’re begging to get bitten in the arse.

Luke Hodge - one of the all time great leaders in footy - said Ginnivan should stfu.

No you don't expect it. Coaches, officials, runners should never engage with an opposition player like that. He could of made a smug remark in the press conference but you don't instigate that on the field at any level.

The players can do it and the supporters can call it out if they want.

Hinkley looks very stressed and agitated. Im almost certain he steps away from the game at seasons end. Watching him in the post game interviews I think he needs to for his own health.

No you don't expect it. Coaches, officials, runners should never engage with an opposition player like that. He could of made a smug remark in the press conference but you don't instigate that on the field at any level.

The players can do it and the supporters can call it out if they want.

Hinkley looks very stressed and agitated. Im almost certain he steps away from the game at seasons end. Watching him in the post game interviews I think he needs to for his own health.
Use it as motivation I meant.

Not gob off at the end like a child.

Say what you want, but imagine having a coach and leaders that defends their players to the hilt.
Would be great but don’t use the term “leaders” as that would include Rozee who giggled along like a little bitch while Sicily was getting stuck into Hinkley.

For context - Wines and Horne-Francis said in post-game interviews that Ginnivan's instagram post was specifically used in the rooms by Hinkley as a motivation.
Same thing would have happened with Rachele's comments before the showdown. Port thrives on this sort of stuff, love to play the 'us vs the world' angle to fire themselves up. They go down that path all the time before showdowns with the fake trash talk they sprout about hating the crows.

Any club or player that gives them ammunition before a game after this is stupid. Take that away last night and they probably lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this talk about hinkley giving them a spray at the end is just white noise to me. They just put their money where their mouth was and beat an in form hawks side after a massive mauling by geelong the week before. Hinkley and his side were under immense pressure and got the chocolates regardless it was only because sicily hit the post at the death. His port side were banged up and out on their feet.

Different story next week where they now have to travel and beat a fresh side thats back in form and confident whilst having injury clouds over players and having to recover from a very taxing performance. It has all the hallmarks of port playing their grand final last night

Going against the grain a bit here, but I like that Ginnivan got put in his place. It's a bloody cocky thing to do and so far this year he's gotten away with stuff like that because they've been winning. If he did it to us we'd be carrying on about it here and rubbing it in. It's very petty how Hinckley went about it though.

Also think that port played the best footy I've seen them play all year. Hawks didn't fall off, Port played better. Their pressure and tackling is right up there. If they can maintain that for two more matches then they are a very good chance. Big if though as we know how fragile they are.

All this talk about hinkley giving them a spray at the end is just white noise to me. They just put their money where their mouth was and beat an in form hawks side after a massive mauling by geelong the week before. Hinkley and his side were under immense pressure and got the chocolates regardless it was only because sicily hit the post at the death. His port side were banged up and out on their feet.

Different story next week where they now have to travel and beat a fresh side thats back in form and confident whilst having injury clouds over players and having to recover from a very taxing performance. It has all the hallmarks of port playing their grand final last night
Port will kill Sydney. Our only hope is Geelong or GWS in the GF. Although I have resigned myself to the fact to that at some stage they are going to win multiple premierships given their extraordinary midfield talent. Apart from Rankine, I would swap any other player on our list for either of Rozee, Butters and especially JHF.

Their drafting and trading are A grade. They see a gap in their list, and they trade aggressively to fill it with an established player.

Last edited:

The entire industry had just shrugged them off after a bad game, when it was obvious Port had moved onto next week half way through last week's game.

Clearly Port was going to come back firing so I have no idea why you'd just disrespect them and fire them up.

Didn't mind any of it from both sides.... Good theatre and good to see some emotion and passion. We don't want mindless boring robots.... :$

It’s very immature by Hinkley, posting to an old teammate on Instagram vs running up and taunting a player after they’ve lost when you’re a senior coach is pathetic

I think you could tell the players were even a bit embarrassed
Yeah, fair enough.

But I'd be very frustrated if I was Ginnivan's teammate.

Obviously any grown man is going to be pissed off to be just dismissed and disrespected.

They go over the top with their self congratulations, so they deserve to get it back in return.

Port will kill Sydney. Our only hope is Geelong or GWS in the GF. Although I have resigned myself to the fact to that at some stage they are going to win multiple premierships given their extraordinary midfield talent. Apart from Rankine, I would swap any other player on our list for either of Rozee, Butters and especially JHF.

Their drafting and trading are A grade. They see a gap in their list, and they trade aggressively to fill it with an established player.
They also don't rebuild.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that full rebuilds are a terrible strategy for any football club.

Find a way to get a core of decent talent, then keep topping up and polishing the list.

Even Hawthorn didn't full rebuild. They cut early, and moved players on over multiple years to top their list up.

Ken let his emotions get the better of him at a time when the game was won and it was time to pay respects to one of the best small forwards of the modern era. It was a time to respect Breust and he spoilt what should have been a moving moment for the Hawthorn champion. But for Ken it’s allways about him as he has showed at various games this year and the showdowns.

He should have left a quip or a reference to what was tweeted at a presser rather than leaving a sour taste in a defeated rival. It smacks of a cheap shot and unworthy of a
Person in his position.

The karma bus and the footy gods are now in operation

Put your tipping rep on the line.

Who wins next week?

I'm calling it now. Sydney were watching and plotting and now they're waiting and will ****ing smoke Port next week.

...and I hope this ages well
Sydney.

A genuine Premiership contender would have belted Hawthorn last night. Especially with the I50 differential in the first quarter.

Hawthorn mentally finished their season last week at the G. They were off last night, and yet only lost by the last kick of the night. With their best defender and mid out.

Sydney used the last 6 weeks to tune up for Finals and are primed to get into the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back