Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If that was the Crows I'd be embarrassed about that type of display happening when it did.
Correct, this is the only way to give an unbiased objective opinion on the matter, especially when it comes to Port.

It was very very ugly coming from Ken. No issues with Port players giving it to Gin.

Sam Mitchell having a sook about poor widdle Ginni getting a hard time from big bad Kenny, give me a spell.

Ginni is a proudly arrogant niggler without an ounce of humility. He’s not some shy kid who needs protection. Mitchell himself was a huge sook and a dirty player.

Mitchell has been constantly banging on about how great it is to let people be themselves.

Happy to dish it, but can’t take it.
Nah I rate Mitchell standing up for his players. If it was a player giving it to Gin then fair game, but not from a coach where there's a clear power imbalance - bullying behaviour imo

You can't seriously think Hawthorn didn't do a full rebuild.

They turned over the list as much if not more than we did
Yes, but over a longer period of time.

They started when they discarded Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis - what was that, 2016?

They didn't do a complete tear down rebuild. They remained competitive and brought more talent in.

It's only the last few years they've been battling, but they already had a lot of talent in.

Doing a full rebuild often doesn't work, as GCS, Carlton, Melbourne, North Melbourne have found. You can end up in the wilderness for a decade or more.

Nah I rate Mitchell standing up for his players. If it was a player giving it to Gin then fair game, but not from a coach where there's a clear power imbalance - bullying behaviour imo
In a similar situation Nicks threw his own player under the bus and his teammates did so as well

So Kenny’s number one fan boy Gerard Whately suggested that Jason McCartney should have been banned from entering the field of play for the remainder of the finals series for his incident with Papley. How will Gerard sheepishly defend Ken Hinkley this week? I’m already looking forward to the mental gymnastics this week on AFL 360.

So Kenny’s number one fan boy Gerard Whately suggested that Jason McCartney should have been banned from entering the field of play for the remainder of the finals series for his incident with Papley. How will Gerard sheepishly defend Ken Hinkley this week? I’m already looking forward to the mental gymnastics this week on AFL 360.
Sack Hinkley Thread will be begging for a suspension

Yes, but over a longer period of time.

They started when they discarded Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis - what was that, 2016?

They didn't do a complete tear down rebuild. They remained competitive and brought more talent in.

It's only the last few years they've been battling, but they already had a lot of talent in.

Doing a full rebuild often doesn't work, as GCS, Carlton, Melbourne, North Melbourne have found. You can end up in the wilderness for a decade or more.

I don't agree they were competitive since ditching those players. They finished in the top 8 just once between 2017 and 2023 but had five finishes of 12th or below with a highest percentage of 91 in those five seasons.

They cleared out the list and were very aggressive with ditching players and introducing youth.

That's clearly a full traditional rebuild. Except unlike us/Carlton/North it actually worked on the first attempt.

Bad day at the office. They turned that around as a good side should. I rate Hawthorn one of the best 2 or 3 sides atm and PA were the better side last night.

Wines was crucial with his 10 tackles. Port defended better and won the contested possessions, forced Hawthorn to play catch up pretty much all game. Everytime Hawthorn threatened Port pulled away again, that is home ground advantage.

But I thought Hawthorn choked with the game in the balance, esp Sicily and but also Moore missing an easy shot at goal.

Hawthorn made huge progress this year 0-5 to finals and they'll either learn from this experience or not. But been the type of football club they are I think they will make further progress over the next few years.

In a similar situation Nicks threw his own player under the bus and his teammates did so as well
I’m not defending Hinkley, it was stupid. I think it’s also right and good for Mitchell to back his players. He didnt have to do that by having a huge sook about about big bad aggressive Kenny upsetting poor delicate little boy Ginnivan tho.

The hok bathwater tastes a bit salty now.

I’m not defending Hinkley, it was stupid. I think it’s also right and good for Mitchell to back his players. He didnt have to do that by having a huge sook about about big bad aggressive Kenny upsetting poor delicate little boy Ginnivan tho.

I don't think it's a bathwater situation. Hawthorn nearly beat them even though Port were on top for most of the game

I don’t think Mitchell had a sook

He walked straight into a presser, was asked the question and I thought he answered it well.

There is two sides to this.

1. Kenny
He needs to keep out of player banter, he needs to focus on coaching the team, especially given Port players have history of baiting crows player in the week leading up to showdown.

2. Mitchell
People have applauded Sam’s handling of Ginnivan but it’s obvious becoming a distraction now and is starting to hurt the team. In my opinion he’s let the rope out too far and the player is struggle to see where he needs to put team first and do the talking, so it’s probably now time to reel it in a bit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually believe some of Ken’s post match antics is pre-designed to try and win back port supporters that he has lost.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good call. Most paps supporters would have loved it, even the ones that were calling for his sacking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of our posters have stockholm syndrome when it comes to Port.

They finished second after the softest draw in the league, and they won a home semi by less than a kick after getting flogged in week one. Calm down.

He's says

'you're not flying anywhere
I'm flying
I'm flying jack
I'm flying you ****head'

Toothless behaviour.

But it's the smug look afterwards that really gets me. Including when clapping of Bruest.

I'm not a Port or Ken hater, I actually respect the club for being pretty ok. We're pretty ok too, but we were gifted significant advantage over them and we're basically no better at all. Anyway, I don't really dislike Ken, but, and I've posted this before, he's capable of delivering the absolute pinnacle of smug looks and he's pretty much achieved SFA.

Last edited:
Cos Cardone will bury it.

What the Ginnivan Tweet really shows is how delicate Ken is about his coaching ability.

I bet not one player went up to Ginny and brought it up. The players didn’t even seem to care, ie no extra attention during the game to him.

Yet it played on Ken's mind all week and the outburst release showed it.

Ken took the Tweet as a personal message.

Not good for a Head Coach.

I don't agree they were competitive since ditching those players. They finished in the top 8 just once between 2017 and 2023 but had five finishes of 12th or below with a highest percentage of 91 in those five seasons.

They cleared out the list and were very aggressive with ditching players and introducing youth.

That's clearly a full traditional rebuild. Except unlike us/Carlton/North it actually worked on the first attempt.

They're a strong enough club to remain low and continue acquiring the required talent. Even trading out experienced mids that would have kept them a little higher up but weren't going to contribute to a contending 25.

Dishing it to the opposition when their player is about to be chaired off after losing their 300th game in a final. It’s a complete shame that Hinkley selfishly took away from Luke Breust’s moment and it says a lot about the character of Ken Hinkley.
Port have always been like that though. They thrive off that kind of BS.

Wines was crucial with his 10 tackles. Port defended better and won the contested possessions, forced Hawthorn to play catch up pretty much all game. Everytime Hawthorn threatened Port pulled away again, that is home ground advantage.

But I thought Hawthorn choked with the game in the balance, esp Sicily and but also Moore missing an easy shot at goal.

Hawthorn made huge progress this year 0-5 to finals and they'll either learn from this experience or not. But been the type of football club they are I think they will make further progress over the next few years.
Yeah Sicily will cop it for his missed goal, but Moore absolutely choked with that snap set shot. He wouldn't miss many of those usually.

Once they get a key forward,ie Dear matures and Lewis comes back or trade one in, they will be a genuine Premiership threat.

Will win Premierships within three years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back