Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tagged by Jordan who is the comps best tagger and still finished with 20 touches.
Who tagged him in the Hawthorn game?

Great players work through tags.

Butters is a front runner, can operate when unchecked or the game is easy.

He is yet to have a good game in a Final.

I am not saying he is a bad player. But he is not as great as the hype suggests. He is a highly skilled support player. Not the main man.

JHF is the real deal. Yes little impact last night. But he is a third year player carrying the grunt of that midfield. Ran out of gas last night. Plus the head knock.

If Port were the smart traders they are fabled to be, they would trade out Butters now to get in an elite key forward.

View attachment 2116584

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland
I was waiting for Sydney’s chief protagonist Tom Papley to give Kenny a send off. Disappointing that didn’t happen.

What was it Dunstall called them during the year? A fake top 4 team?

He knew.
Dunstall is a guy I would like around the club full time, not just for a review. Seems to know football and can have a laugh also. Could he do a Balme type role? Wouldn't leave Melb though.

Butters we know was hurt, I suspect JHF was too.

But as good as that midfield are, they turn their toes up a bit.
JHF will tear a finals series apart one day, you just know it. He hasn’t arrived yet though.

Butters will likely be ok too you’d think.

I’d be filthy on Rozee if I was a port supporter. Massive downhill skier, soft, poor captain choice imo.

Dunstall is a guy I would like around the club full time, not just for a review. Seems to know football and can have a laugh also. Could he do a Balme type role? Wouldn't leave Melb though.

I'd like that too. Won't happen. Any move like that just admits they need help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's anything you can do with him, he's garbage.

I heard he got a four year deal too.

They traded their first this year to get the draft capital to trade for Soldo and Ratugolea.

One's a dud and the other is asking for a trade back to Victoria 🤣🤣🤣🤣
On the flip side, why weren't we on board looking at Sweet?

From memory he came quite cheap, is young and is very serviceable. It's almost as if we don't rate the ruck position at all.

I would have liked to see Matthew Scarlet's approach to dealing with the annoying little campaigner.
Good player Papley but he's a brown nosing coaches pet and the untreated ADHD is concerning. I do like that he's rubbing it in Carlton's face by performing well after seeking a trade there. Think I may have talked myself into liking him actually.

So basically, Port finishes second (largely thanks to a very generous draw) and had home ground advantage.
They then got spanked.
Then they beat the team that finished 7th in a close game where the Hawks had multiple chances to win it.
They then got spanked again.

Yeh they really weren’t even close.
I'm all for bashing Port, but Hawks were one of the hottest teams going around. They did very well to beat them IMO, particularly given the players they had out (Dixon not included). They also responded to what was an embarrassing loss the week before. I certainly didn't expect them to win.

They were totally outclassed in the other 2 finals though, and the scoreboard even flattered them a little given total scoring shots they had. If Swans didn't try to be so fancy all the time they would have won by more.

It's obvious that the players love Ken, but the game plan just doesn't stack up under finals pressure. Bombing it in long at every opportunity and hoping for the best just doesn't work like it does against the bottom teams.

Port also seem to win a lot of close games EVERY year. This can't be put down to a fluke as it happens so often, but it also flatters their W/L record and has them higher placed on the ladder than they should be.

Anyway, bring on more missing pieces in the off season!

This is what came to mind last night.
Ginnivan gets ahead of himself, mouths off and looks like a fool….never mentioning Port at all.
Kern takes a 21 year olds post to heart, uses it to motivate a win, gets ahead of himself, mouths off to opposition players showing no respect and goes on to lose another prelim.

What a f***ing hypocritical fool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back