Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the point that has been missed is they haven’t had a R1 pick since 2021 (Josh Sinn). They used 2022 and 2023 to get him and 2024 was given to Freo to get a stack of minor picks.

Butters comes out of contract in 2026 so will be interesting what transpires over next 12 months. Will get extend before the start of 2026 season or will he be heading east?
It'll depend who the next coach is

1726884205065-png.2116789
Head coaches should stay in the box.

Port wins a final during an opposition milestone game. Gets his team to clap him off while getting all lippy at the club while he’s being chaired off

Port loses a final during an opposition milestone game. He and his players flee to the changerooms and the opposition chair their player off alone.
They probably would have been torn apart all week by the media had it not been the week leading up to a GF.

Fun Finals Facts with Grotto

After last night Ken Hinkley has extended his extraordinary AFL record even further. :thumbsu:

The most games coached at any club without progressing to a Grand Final.
My guess is he will hold that record for a very VERY long time

Start calling him The Don

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HINKLEY'S PRELIMINARY FINAL COACHING RECORD

• 2014: Hawthorn 15.7 (97) bt Port 13.16 (94) at the MCG
  • 2020: Richmond 6.10 (46) bt Port 6.4 (40) at Adelaide Oval
  • 2021: Western Bulldogs 17.14 (116) bt Port 6.9 (45) at Adelaide Oval
  • 2024: Sydney 14.11 (95) bt Port 8.11 (59) at SCG

4 Chokes trying to make a GF. :rainbow:

Nicks will get there without making finals. :sick:
Where it becomes dangerous is even Nicks makes the Finals next year due to a soft draw, you can see him possibly getting another extension.

But I digress, today and the rest of this weekend is about tearing the Power apart.

Who tagged him in the Hawthorn game?

Great players work through tags.

Butters is a front runner, can operate when unchecked or the game is easy.

He is yet to have a good game in a Final.

I am not saying he is a bad player. But he is not as great as the hype suggests. He is a highly skilled support player. Not the main man.

JHF is the real deal. Yes little impact last night. But he is a third year player carrying the grunt of that midfield. Ran out of gas last night. Plus the head knock.

If Port were the smart traders they are fabled to be, they would trade out Butters now to get in an elite key forward.
Reckon your view would be different if he played for us. He had sore ribs against Hawks.

He was tagged and still had 20 touches.

Seen how Rankine has played when tagged?

Port people in politics and the media harder to get rid of than kikuyu in the lawn. They're everywhere.
Check out her posting history, first you knew she was a Power supporter was in August having a crack at us not making finals. Now can't handle it back.

Port people in politics and the media harder to get rid of than kikuyu in the lawn. They're everywhere.
Check out her posting history, first you knew she was a Power supporter was in August having a crack at us not making finals. Now can't handle it back.

Butters is similar to Sloane.

Never going to be that game changing midfielder like Dangerfield - suffers when tagged - hard at it and brave - well above an average player.

I wouldn’t say Sloane ever dominated a final series, was serviceable but never grabbed one and put his team on his shoulders.

Rozee is outside outside. Very quick and elusive, really good skills. I think he and Luko have a similar mo.

JHF on the other hand, if he can get a bit smarter on how to use his advantages … going to be one hell of a big game player.

Good summary to be honest, Butters is one player who I've never rated as highly as some other people here - he has some glaring limitations imo.

If I was them I would be trading him whilst his currency is high.

Good summary to be honest, Butters is one player who I've never rated as highly as some other people here - he has some glaring limitations imo.

If I was them I would be trading him whilst his currency is high.
Of the 3, Rozee might be on the slide but they can't trade him after the monster 8 year deal.

Reckon your view would be different if he played for us. He had sore ribs against Hawks.

He was tagged and still had 20 touches.

Seen how Rankine has played when tagged?
20 touches, a lot of Rory Laird sky balls.

Much like last night.

Bloke is a gun, but players of his size, and Rankines TBH are easier to tag out of a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back