Preview AFL Preliminary Final - Pies vs Hawks - Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Prelim vs Hawks

They don't stand a chance. Sydney in the first half looked like a bottom 8 team and Hawthorn wasn't able to capitalise. I can't even begin to imagine how badly we'll maul them when they don't have a steady stream of turnovers to rely on.

Im with you TD.
I am very confident our backline can handle their forward line.
Buddy seemed to move well today,but Taz or Reid should be able to handle him.
Cyril had another quiet one. Im not sure if I am worried about that or not.

I think the game will be won in our forward line though.
I cant see how they are going to play our big bodied forwards and our small crumbers also.
Surely Gibson will not be able to play loose and just punch the ball at ever opportunity,as he did tonight.
He will have to be made accountable.
We also need to direct a lot of forward thrusts through Shoenmakers opponent.

Jesus guys don't be so confident. Hawks looked good tonight and will be a real challenge. Wouldn't surprise me if they beat us to be honest.

Are you joking?I usually freak out over hawthorn but not this time.I dont think we will smash them,but i think we should win.:thumbsu:Go pies!

I'm quite bullish about Hawthorn, always have been. 3 reasons why Hawthorn can win.

1. Stoppages - The have very good clearance players and have the ability to nullify one of our major strengths.
2. Their pace - We aren't an overly quick team, we just look quick at times due to our superior skills, Hawthorn on the other hand have some genuine speedsters that enable them to get one-on-one contests in their forward line.
3. X-Factor - Cyril is the one that does get criticised for not finding enough of the ball, but the reality is he can be extremely damaging with just 15 disposals. Oh, and Buddy.

Having said that, if we play to our structures blah blah blah, we are a superior football team and should win.

I rarely have been confident going into a Hawks match in the last few years but i cant see any reason we wont win next week. For mine, 95% chance of a Cats VS Pies Grand final. When was the last time the previous 2 premiers met in a grand final? epic.

Neh!!, Hawthwho!! pfft, Welcome to the jungle MFs, their all happy now, they won't be after we're through with them, we'll all still be scared of them though. :rolleyes:

I'm quite bullish about Hawthorn, always have been. 3 reasons why Hawthorn can win.
Ok, 3 reasons why Hawthorn can't, and won't win;

1. Backline; Easily the weakest of the remaining 5 teams, they rely on under sized players to play on taller players, and Schoenmakers is simply not up to the highest level.

2. Rucks; Mumford smashed them in that 3rd quarter, I don't care what the stats say, he killed them. Jolly will do the same in periods and we will dominate.

3. Injuries; The absence of Roughead is a massive blow for them. Shut Buddy out of the game, or at least restrict him, and they won't kick 10 goals against us, let alone 100 points. In this category you can also include fatigue, they have played one more tough final then us, this is a massive negative.

We will win, I'm certain of it, as certain as I was going into last years prelim, the Cats gapped them in 10 minutes, and virtually finished the game off in that small period, we will do the same.

Pies by 40 +.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rarely have been confident going into a Hawks match in the last few years but i cant see any reason we wont win next week. For mine, 95% chance of a Cats VS Pies Grand final. When was the last time the previous 2 premiers met in a grand final? epic.

I have the same Feeling the last few years I have not been Confident but this Time it feels Different and more Confident in us winning

2. Their pace - We aren't an overly quick team, we just look quick at times due to our superior skills, Hawthorn on the other hand have some genuine speedsters that enable them to get one-on-one contests in their forward line.

You're taking the piss. We're a significantly quicker team than Hawthorn.

Their only "genuine speedsters" for their position are Franklin, Rioli and Smith, and we have perfect matchups in Reid, Harold and Thomas. After that the only players with above average pace are Whitecross and Puopolo. The rest are basically plodders, which is why they have to rely on kicking the ball rather than running it.

Jesus guys don't be so confident. Hawks looked good tonight and will be a real challenge. Wouldn't surprise me if they beat us to be honest.

I may regret this, but I disagree.
The Swans were total shit for a full half of footy. They looked drained after what has been a few weeks running on heartfelt emotion.

Add to that the fact that the Hawks tactic was to spend everything they had in the first half and then hope they had done enough to see off the Swans, then almost let the Swans pinch the game, I reckon the scoreline was not as indicative as it appeared.
That said the Hawks deserved their third spot and played like they earned it.

Fingers crossed we smack them next week without any significant injury, because we'll need to be tip top if we get to meet the Cats in the GF.

An exciting, but nervous week approaches......

Bruce mentioned that last time we played them, Hawthorn had quite a few out. Yet I can only remember them missing Rioli?

Anyone able to elaborate or is Bruce just making shit up to build up the game?

I remember Rioli and Franklin and I also think Hodge played but not sure

last year's prelim will look like the teddy bears picnic compared to what we will do to the hawks next week. seriously, this has got "destroyation" written all over it a week out

Bruce mentioned that last time we played them, Hawthorn had quite a few out. Yet I can only remember them missing Rioli?

I think the only two of note out were Lewis and Bateman.

ps. Bruce is one of a tiny select group in the entire evolution of the genus "Homo" who I wish would fall foul of an extreme late term spontanous miscarriage.

The instant he opens his mouth my brain aches.

Their outs for the week were Lewis, Sewell and Rioli.

Although we had Rounds, Fasolo (2nd game:confused:) and Simon Buckley in the team, so we weren't exactly full strength either.

Hawks fans still sook about Lisle and Bateman getting injured late in the game, we were 7 goals up at that stage, and won by about that anyway (41 points).

We have improved since that day significantly, have the Hawks?:confused:

Ok this is bruce hoping for a miracle because the last time we played hawthorn we won by six goals.Alan didak ,dayne beams and ben johnson didn't play either but here the media go focussing on hawks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back