Preview AFL Rd 22 - Collingwood v WCE - MCG Friday night - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We cannot take this game lightly and by that i mean we can't just win, we need to thrash them by atleast 50 IMO. I don't think anyone knows how much of a difference 5th and 6th could make to any hope we may have of making the GF.

We finish 5th, then we most likely play Ess or PA. Two teams who we shouldn't have ay trouble with at the G. Let's assume that Hawthorn and Geelong finish top 2 and win their respective finals v Freo and Sydney.

If we finish 5th it could mean (assuming we win v PA/Ess) we play Syd @ ANZ in a semi-final. We would probably and rightly feel confident going into this. If we get through then we'd play the cats at the G in a prelim. Again, we'd rightly think we are half a chance.

The next two weeks can't be taken lightly as we should be fighting very hard for 5th spot. Do not rest players and don't just win, but win by a decent margin.
yeah I think we'll win by shiteloads.
and really want to play the power first in the finals.

in: Seedsman, Didak
out: Sinclair, Elliott

Cant see us making more than 2 or 3 changes with a few rounds left.

I wish we would send Reid back as a sweeper along Brown and Keeffe, then send Goldsack and Lynch back forward and try to adopt a more defensive, slingshot style of footy (Fremantle, Sydney). Note that Reid, Brown and Keeffe haven't played in the back line all together with Maxwell and Goldsack being mediocre at their current roles. Could work.
maxwell is not mediocre he is pathetic dont knock Goldsack not getting due credit sure he stuffed up a couple of times against hawks but his job on Gunston was excellent . Again on Maxwell if you watched footy classified they highlighted his opponent marking uncontested as we all see week in week out he is a massive burden on the backline there is not a team that doesn't realise playing thru his opponent is the easiest avenue to score except the pathetic pies selection panel

maxwell is not mediocre he is pathetic dont knock Goldsack not getting due credit sure he stuffed up a couple of times against hawks but his job on Gunston was excellent . Again on Maxwell if you watched footy classified they highlighted his opponent marking uncontested as we all see week in week out he is a massive burden on the backline there is not a team that doesn't realise playing thru his opponent is the easiest avenue to score except the pathetic pies selection panel

Not knocking Goldsack at all, just pointing out that his pressure and marking ability is better in the forward half of the ground.

If anyone remembers the semi-final against West Coast last year, Reid was just about BOG in Maxwell's role (Maxwell wasn't playing) and Goldsack had about 10 tackles in our forward 50. Why these moves weren't made against Hawthorn I have no idea.

Elliot injured or being rested ?

130408_injuryheader.jpg

As of Monday 19 August 2013

Name
Injury
Estimated Time of Return
Clinton Young​
Hamstring​
Test​
Jamie Elliott​
Hamstring​
1 week​
Ben Sinclair​
Shoulder​
1 week​
Marty Clarke​
Ankle​
Season​
Alex Fasolo​
Foot​
Season​
Michael Hartley​
Shoulder​
Season​
Dale Thomas​
Ankle​
Season​
Alan Toovey​
Knee​
Season​

If anyone remembers the semi-final against West Coast last year, Reid was just about BOG in Maxwell's role (Maxwell wasn't playing) and Goldsack had about 10 tackles in our forward 50. Why these moves weren't made against Hawthorn I have no idea.

Problem was that Buddy was on fire and we couldnt afford to switch Keeffe forward, and didnt want Reid taken out of the forward line exposing Cloke to play a lone hand, when he was doing so well with Reid up as a decoy aking a good defender.

Not saying Buckley shouldnt have tried it but I can see the reasons why he didnt.

just my opinion but I think Reid is finished down back only swinging I can see is Reid playing fwd and rarely venturing back .what I can also see is even tho he didn't kick a bag Reid will monster Gibson in a final absolutely monster him

Problem was that Buddy was on fire and we couldnt afford to switch Keeffe forward, and didnt want Reid taken out of the forward line exposing Cloke to play a lone hand, when he was doing so well with Reid up as a decoy aking a good defender.

Not saying Buckley shouldnt have tried it but I can see the reasons why he didnt.

I never said anything about switching Keeffe forward. I said we should have sent Reid as our 3rd tall defender and sent Goldsack forward. Which is what we did all last year expect with Lynch playing Dawes role and Keeffe playing Tarrants.

I never said anything about switching Keeffe forward. I said we should have sent Reid as our 3rd tall defender and sent Goldsack forward. Which is what we did all last year expect with Lynch playing Dawes role and Keeffe playing Tarrants.

Fair enough but I doubt Goldsack would have attracted a good tall defender like Reid did, and that is vital to prevent Cloke being double teamed. Keeffe has to go forward for Reid to go back. Where Goldy plays is a different question. If he plays forward its at the expense of a midget like Blair or Elliot.

Fair enough but I doubt Goldsack would have attracted a good tall defender like Reid did, and that is vital to prevent Cloke being double teamed. Keeffe has to go forward for Reid to go back. Where Goldy plays is a different question. If he plays forward its at the expense of a midget like Blair or Elliot.

Lynch is going to have to step up and make a defender accountable for him and Goldsack kicked 24 goals last year. In my opinion our best way to win the flag this year to make our defence as strong as possible. We have a good enough midfield and decent smalls to be able to make a winning score, as long as Lynch, Cloke and Goldy can bring it to ground.

Fremantle, Geelong and Sydney who are all in the top 4 don't depend on their tall forwards to kick winning scores. They are all very strong defensively and lock the ball in their F50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch is going to have to step up and make a defender accountable for him and Goldsack kicked 24 goals last year. In my opinion our best way to win the flag this year to make our defence as strong as possible. We have a good enough midfield and decent smalls to be able to make a winning score, as long as Lynch, Cloke and Goldy can bring it to ground.

Fremantle, Geelong and Sydney who are all in the top 4 don't depend on their tall forwards to kick winning scores. They are all very strong defensively and lock the ball in their F50.

Disagree with you but I dont strongly disagree. You make some reasonable points. I dont think Lynch at his stage of career will draw an accountable defender to him. Reid can.

I prefer the current lineup which is closer to 2010 than 2012 because we have a legitimate two pronged attack. Reids best position is forward but as Keeffe gains match fitness and confidence I'd be hoping Reid and Keeffe are interchangeable.

Yeah I think Buckley should have swung Reid and Goldsack around last week.

He is sticking to his guns with Reid which is ok. I think what was holding him back was the fact that Q-Stick was having no influence, so swinging Reid into defence would've left Cloke all alone. Reid was taking a few marks in the second half and provided a target. If he had kicked accurately he would've had a decent game.

Plus our defence was holding up ok in the second half...we just couldn't score ourselves.

Yes but he's a great leader, he took a couple of good marks in the drawn GF in 2010, and he came 5th in the Copeland last year!!! Must be in the team!!!!!

Yeah I think Buckley should have swung Reid and Goldsack around last week.

He is sticking to his guns with Reid which is ok. I think what was holding him back was the fact that Q-Stick was having no influence, so swinging Reid into defence would've left Cloke all alone. Reid was taking a few marks in the second half and provided a target. If he had kicked accurately he would've had a decent game.

Plus our defence was holding up ok in the second half...we just couldn't score ourselves.

Agree with your second and third paragraphs but they conflict with your first:D

Agree with your second and third paragraphs but they conflict with your first:D
Yeah I suppose what I'm saying is that I still think we should've swung the change.

Perhaps even during the 2nd quarter when the Hawks started getting the jump on us. Just for 10 minutes to get Reid down there to double team Buddy who was looking dangerous.

Then just stick Goldy up forward on Hodge or something to nullify his impact.

It would've slowed us up because Cloke would've got triple teamed. And I suppose Cloke did kick a goal during this period as well....but I think Buckley does need to use Reid a bit more strategically.

During the GC game he was too slow to get him up forward...and during the Hawks game and even the Sydney game when Tippett was dominating, he could've considered swining Reid back.

I think Reid needs to assess the game as well and take a bit of leadership. The best swingmen don't have to be asked to switch...they just know when to do it.

I think for the swing role to work, we need more from the 3rd tall so Cloke isn't so exposed if Reid goes back.

I think for the swing role to work, we need more from the 3rd tall so Cloke isn't so exposed if Reid goes back.

Therein lies the rub.

We are in transition with our rucks and one temporary side effect of that is not having a ruckman who can swing forward kick goals. Lynch is doing a great job as a mobile ruckman but is largely ineffective forward, Witts and Grundy arent the answer forward at this stage of their careers, and Jolly and Hudson arent forwards either.

The best third tall option is probably Goldsack. You can easily swing him forward at any time. Paine is the other choice but not for 2013.

The fact we dont really ahve a third tall forward is all the more reason why the second tall forward (Reid) needs to stay there.

That's right all the maxwell critcism is totally unjustified!!!

Is it? That's outrageous. You should write a letter...

It's not that it's unjustified. It's more that you are so repetitive in your tirades. Snaz it up a bit. Write a poem, or a haiku. Videoblog it...do something. It's just, you know, really dull to read...

Is it? That's outrageous. You should write a letter...

It's not that it's unjustified. It's more that you are so repetitive in your tirades. Snaz it up a bit. Write a poem, or a haiku. Videoblog it...do something. It's just, you know, really dull to read...

Maybe if you actually posted an opinion on something rather than questioning what everyone else says every post you might have credibility. Snaz your own shit up mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 22 - Collingwood v WCE - MCG Friday night - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back