Preview AFL Rd 23 - Collingwood v North Melb - MCG Sunday 3.20pm Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If hawks fInish top are we better of if we lose this game? Would it mean staying away from the hawks for longer through the finals?
Actually it'll work the opposite way, 6th would mean we would go through to the winner of the 1v4 QF - i.e. Hawthorn, by finishing 5th we stay away from them until the GF - if they win in week one.

We have a good situation of playing last to be honest.

Must rest up to 10 players. Will be vital to us winning a prelim. Have the luxury of resting, lets use it.
There is no luxury. We need to win well next week to maintain 5th position and keep out of hawthorns draw.
Also gives us a game vs 8th position(likely carlscum) in the elimination final, and then likely against a decimated Sydney in the semis, and a shot at Geelong or freo in the prelim.
Much better setup than finishing 6th or 7th.

There is no luxury. We need to win well next week to maintain 5th position and keep out of hawthorns draw.
Also gives us a game vs 8th position(likely carlscum) in the elimination final, and then likely against a decimated Sydney in the semis, and a shot at Geelong or freo in the prelim.
Much better setup than finishing 6th or 7th.

And we will need to win by a fair bit too, Richmond's right on top of us percentage wise.

It would be a dream if the finals series worked out like this for us:

EF: vs Carlton - SF: vs Swans - PF: vs Cats - GF: vs Hawks

Assuming the fact that the Swans and Cats are still our bitches we could make it to a GF, then anything can happen from there.

And we will need to win by a fair bit too, Richmond's right on top of us percentage wise.

It would be a dream if the finals series worked out like this for us:

EF: vs Carlton - SF: vs Swans - PF: vs Cats - GF: vs Hawks

Assuming the fact that the Swans and Cats are still our bitches we could make it to a GF, then anything can happen from there.
I'd prefer Freo in the GF thanks :thumbsu:

IN: beams, elliott, jolly, kraks
OUT: ball (rest), swan (rest), Grundy (rest), dwyer

-think its important to rest grundy and swan, freshen them up for finals. Ball should not be risked while beams should get some run through his legs. Id look to sub out pendles in second half. Give kraks a game to see if he can outperform ben-ken. Drop dwyer lol

Didak must play finals, he lifts the team morale and lets face it he busts his ass to get a kick!

-think its important to rest grundy and swan, freshen them up for finals. Ball should not be risked while beams should get some run through his legs. Id look to sub out pendles in second half. Give kraks a game to see if he can outperform ben-ken. Drop dwyer lol

Didak must play finals, he lifts the team morale and lets face it he busts his ass to get a kick!

k

krak deserves another game with dids

We need carlton to win against Port so NM have nothing to play for and we can gain enough percentage to get 5th.
NM are a it of a bogey team, if you get them switched on they are very good and we could very easily lose if going out there expecting an easy game, eg GC and Port. They took out Geelong a few weeks ago and challenged hawthorn twice this year, plus had some very big wins which shows they are very strong when on.

I hope that Carlton lose against Port and that North are playing for a finals spot. A high intensity game would be great preparation for the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's dangerous to stuff around with form! I'd keep playing our best players to keep our best footy going. Where not good enough to rest players. North will come out fireing next week and we want to win!

It's dangerous to stuff around with form! I'd keep playing our best players to keep our best footy going. Where not good enough to rest players. North will come out fireing next week and we want to win!

Agree. I doubt we will rest anyone apart from Ball who looks to have an injury. Hopefully Beams comes straight in for him. I would also replace Dids with Elliot.

If we are going to rest Grundy it needs to be this week. He's a ten year ruckman and we need to get finals experience into him as soon as possible.
Those who think we should play Jolly instead of Grundy in the finals are imo wrong. Statistically we are a long shot at the flag. If we can win it, it would be amazing, but i don't think it will happen. Lets instead get some finals experience into some future young guns.
Be happy for the older players like Didak, Krakouer, Russel and Jolly to play against North so we can rest players like, Beams, Ball, Dwyer, Blair and Grundy and bring them back week 1 finals.

NM are a it of a bogey team, if you get them switched on they are very good and we could very easily lose if going out there expecting an easy game, eg GC and Port. They took out Geelong a few weeks ago and challenged hawthorn twice this year, plus had some very big wins which shows they are very strong when on.

Most at Etihad, they are a very different team away from that ground.

Why we would be rest anyone this week at all?

Our players are having a rest as we speak, with a 9 day break between games there is absolutely no reason what so ever to rest a player for the sakes of resting next week.

Yes, if anyone has an injury concern that may get worse by playing than we leave them out, but no resting is required.

Plus 5th is going to be a hell of a lot better position than 6th to finish.

If we finish 5th we will play the "default" side, the ninth place side who got into the final through utter luck and then we'd play the loser of 2nd vs 3rd, which is likely to be Sydney.

I don't know about you but I give us about a 50 times better chance of beating Sydney at ANZ than I do Freo at Subiaco Oval in week 2.

No resting, go full out and get fifth.

Why we would be rest anyone this week at all?

Our players are having a rest as we speak, with a 9 day break between games there is absolutely no reason what so ever to rest a player for the sakes of resting next week.

Yes, if anyone has an injury concern that may get worse by playing than we leave them out, but no resting is required.

Plus 5th is going to be a hell of a lot better position than 6th to finish.

If we finish 5th we will play the "default" side, the ninth place side who got into the final through utter luck and then we'd play the loser of 2nd vs 3rd, which is likely to be Sydney.

I don't know about you but I give us about a 50 times better chance of beating Sydney at ANZ than I do Freo at Subiaco Oval in week 2.

No resting, go full out and get fifth.

We need GWS to keep Richmond to a reasonable margin for this to happen. We will probably have to win by about 8+ goals.

There was definitely a lot of resting going on Friday night, might have hurt our chances of placing 5th. We need to play the best team possible next week and make a statement going into finals.

There was definitely a lot of resting going on Friday night, might have hurt our chances of placing 5th. We need to play the best team possible next week and make a statement going into finals.

Spot On but we have a History Losing the Last Game of the Season:(

Why? They beat us this year too.

Yes Freo did beat Collingwood but that game was Paterson's Stadium. My boys Richmond lost to Freo by 1 point in round 5 at Paterson's Stadium then beat them in round 17 by 27 points at the MCG. The Dockers are a different side at the MCG. The wide MCG doesn't suit their style of play and structures etc plus the mental side of playing at the MCG I think still worries Freo - not as much as it used to be but it does a little bit.

Just my thoughts.

Yes Freo did beat Collingwood but that game was Paterson's Stadium. My boys Richmond lost to Freo by 1 point by 1 point in round 5 at Paterson's Stadium then beat them in round 17 by 27 points at the MCG. The Dockers are a different side at the MCG. The wide MCG doesn't suit their style of play and structures etc plus the mental side of playing at the MCG I think still worries Freo - not as much as it used to be but it does a little bit.

Just my thoughts.

I agree with you, would be confident playing them in a home final. Also we are missing too many short chip kicks through the corridor and getting punished on the rebound against top teams. Need to fix that up this week or the Roos speed will punish us for it.

I agree with you, would be confident playing them in a home final. Also we are missing too many short chip kicks through the corridor and getting punished on the rebound against top teams. Need to fix that up this week or the Roos speed will punish us for it.

I just need Collingwood a spark, some more fire power up forward. Would love to see Andy get a game but it is hard to get a game in the seniors at the moment.

Collingwood are in good enough form to beat most sides at the moment, they have improved I reckon from mid-season onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 23 - Collingwood v North Melb - MCG Sunday 3.20pm Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back