Preview AFL Rd 23 - Collingwood v North Melb - MCG Sunday 3.20pm Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In Beams
Out Dwyer

1 week for a hammie isnt enough for Elliott not worth the risk of doing it again.
Only other possible in is Jolly for Lynch but cant see it happening

Based on their respective years Dwyer would be far more deserving to be in the side than Didak. IMO you can't play both in finals though. Dwyer would be great to use as the sub for the remainder of the year.

Based on their respective years Dwyer would be far more deserving to be in the side than Didak. IMO you can't play both in finals though. Dwyer would be great to use as the sub for the remainder of the year.
This is a tough one.

Dwyer although more deserving probably doesn't offer that little bit extra that Didak can in front of goal. Didak demands a good opponent whereas Dwyer is allowed off the leash and still doesn't really dominate.

For me, its actually Krakouer that edges both out because he probably has a bit more defensively though tackling than both do. Krakouer's only problem is laziness. He won't chase 100% of the time, he picks and chooses his efforts. But he can impact a game significantly more than Dwyer or Didak i reckon.

Need to bring the Cracker in for this game, need tough hardened bodies and not so many kids for finals, also need max X factor and he is one of our few X factor forwards. When things get really tough in the last half of a final a bit of magic from Cracker and/or Didak could make the difference (eg cameo goal from Leon in the drawn GF vs StK, even though he had a quite game). No comparison with kids who have never played finals before and only had one or 2 pre-seasons. Who to drop though??

I'd prefer Freo in the GF thanks :thumbsu:
I tink our best chance is if Freo beat the DAwks then we finish 6th and play Dawks week 2. Best chance to beat them then, since we both will have played the week b4, but they would have had the tougher game vs Freo. Comp to playing Dawks in a prelim when they have had a week off and we off 2 6-dayers, why bother even turning up (I mean the fans not the team!)?

well OK the better chance is if someone else eliminates Dawks but not much chance of that.

Both Ball and Beams are rocks. They will perform in the same capacity now and five weeks from now - even if they're both rested. Therefore:

Out: Ball
In: Elliott

Kennedy to play sub and Didak to start.

It's a dead rubber and we should rest/experiment but not too much. These changes make sense and could provide an insight into form and fitness while giving selectors a bigger issue next week (in the way you want selection issues).

In: Beams, Elliott, Krakouer
Out: Kennedy, Dwyer, Blair

Kennedy, Dwyer - Have enough first/second year players in the team already, would rather go with experience with finals near.
Blair - Hasn't been hitting the scoreboard enough lately, give Krakouer a go and bring Blair back if he doesn't preform.

I would make a few changes given finishing 6th wont be to bad as would rather Port than finish 5th and land North or Carlton as long as at G. Is a chance Port win, Carlton win with Tigers easing up, North win this week and we have North wk 1. Thats my worst outcome for us.

Winning form is good form but North will have a real crack and I dont want blokes being sore out of this so Pendles and Swan would rest for mine and possibly a Reid and Cloke as well. Sinclair and Elliott another week off.

Bring back Beams and Krakouer and let Paine and Jolly come in. Ruck Grundy and Jolly and leave Lynch and Paine fwd for mine.

Lets not embellish Freos recent form.. Port, Melbourne, GWS, Carlton and Adelaide arent exactly the who's who of the AFL. Even the Port win was to be expected: their Grand Final is next week against the Blues

The Dockers have only beaten us and Port from the top 8 and managed a draw against the Swans.

Ridiculously lenient draw for a side that made a semi final last year

Dockers also beat Richmond by 1 point - round 5 at Paterson's Stadium.

Richmond (1 point win), Collingwood (27 point win) and Port Adelaide (74 point win) are the only top 8 teams that the Dockers have beaten and..............these three wins were all at Paterson's Stadium.

Let's look at how Fremantle have performed against the other top 8 sides:

Lost to Essendon by 4 points at Paterson's Stadium - Round 3

Lost to Hawthorn by 42 points at Aurora Stadium - Round 4

Drew with Sydney at the SCG - Round 8

Lost to Geelong by 41 points at Skilled Stadium - Round 14

Lost to Richmond by 27 points at the MCG - Round 17

Flat track bullies the Dockers are. Yes they have had a good season, a better season then last year but the stats speak for themselves..........they do struggle against the best.

K
Kennedy provided spark and an injection of genuine pace in to the team, not to mention mongrel, why would you drop that again?
If you have another look at the game, on more than one occasion he had an opportunity to pass the ball (to a person in a better position) but went for goal. It is a team game at senior level not junior when you go for goal. Not good team play. I have no doubt he will be a good player but needs to learn a bit more for mine. Mongrel and pace does not equal staying in the team.

In Beams
Out Dwyer

1 week for a hammie isnt enough for Elliott not worth the risk of doing it again.
Only other possible in is Jolly for Lynch but cant see it happening

Elliot is listed as two weeks on the AFL website. I am hoping this means he will be right for the EF.

Actually it'll work the opposite way, 6th would mean we would go through to the winner of the 1v4 QF - i.e. Hawthorn, by finishing 5th we stay away from them until the GF - if they win in week one.

We have a good situation of playing last to be honest.
Call me crazy but I would rather play Hawthorn in the prelim then in the GF.
If we lose in the prelim then they lose next week to Geelong in the GF.
But if we knock Geelong out for them, I cant stomach the fact that Hawthorn would win the GF
and it would be cause of US.
If Collingwood cant win it this year, I would rather anyone else than Hawthorn!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didak stays 100%.

Beams in for Ball and also Sinclair in for Kennedy.

I think Didak will play finals and I have him ahead of Elliot and he has more x factor. I was very impressed with the way he was running in the right spots on Friday and demanding the football, that was very pleasing to see from him on the eve of the finals. Elliot is to hot and cold and goes missing for a long time in games. He needs to improve on his consistency and work hard through a whole game.

Jolly is done, I think he could be in this week to give Grundy a rest before the finals but apart from that Grundy has gone past him by so much it's not funny. Watching Jolly struggle in the VFL is very sad to see, he is playing like he is 45 years old, he can no longer jump and it seems that he is torturing himself by being out there. Even Hudson looks and plays like he is younger than Jolly and to me that signals the end for Jolly.

As for resting players this week, they have been bloody resting the whole season basically. They should be hitting the finals with as much momentum as we can take in to it and if we win on Sunday we would be going with a 4-1 win loss from our last 5 games and surely that will give the boys some confidence.

Didak stays 100%.

Beams in for Ball and also Sinclair in for Kennedy.

I think Didak will play finals and I have him ahead of Elliot and he has more x factor. I was very impressed with the way he was running in the right spots on Friday and demanding the football, that was very pleasing to see from him on the eve of the finals. Elliot is to hot and cold and goes missing for a long time in games. He needs to improve on his consistency and work hard through a whole game.

Jolly is done, I think he could be in this week to give Grundy a rest before the finals but apart from that Grundy has gone past him by so much it's not funny. Watching Jolly struggle in the VFL is very sad to see, he is playing like he is 45 years old, he can no longer jump and it seems that he is torturing himself by being out there. Even Hudson looks and plays like he is younger than Jolly and to me that signals the end for Jolly.

As for resting players this week, they have been bloody resting the whole season basically. They should be hitting the finals with as much momentum as we can take in to it and if we win on Sunday we would be going with a 4-1 win loss from our last 5 games and surely that will give the boys some confidence.
serious??

We will beat Freo. They arent much of a better team than Sydney. Plus, I like the possibility of playing Geelong in a Semi. Also, we will beat Port, we don't want to play Carlton.

IN: Krak, Jolly/Hudson
OUT: Ball, Grundy (rest)

Next week:

IN: Beams, Ball, Elliott, Grundy
OUT: Kennedy, Didak/Dwyer, Krak, Jolly/Hudson

We will beat Freo. They arent much of a better team than Sydney. Plus, I like the possibility of playing Geelong in a Semi. Also, we will beat Port, we don't want to play Carlton.

Next week:

they are a better team defensively than the Geelong of 2011.
I'm quite skeptical of how we would fare against them.
We have improved alot since the last time we played but so have they

Next week:

Why?

In asking if down the wing is serious about dropping kennedy for Sinclair , I would have sinkers any day of the week at this point in time. Like it or not the bloke is becoming an important part of the side
Well, for one, your dropping a forward for a defender and I would not be playing Sinclair after his game against Hawthorn. He would of got dropped if he wasn't injured.

Well, for one, your dropping a forward for a defender and I would not be playing Sinclair after his game against Hawthorn. He would of got dropped if he wasn't injured.

I don't see a problem with this. Definitely Sinclair in for me. Kennedy is not in the best team at this point in his career.

The only changes I would make would be if either or both Beams and Ball are available, then Kennedy out and I am not sure who the other would be.

Another point I would like to make is that we shouldn't care who beat who next week. No easy run in the finals for us - we have to win every game. No resting players unless they are really sore as previous posters have said, 9 day break has been good for us.
Ball played last well so no change for him if this is the case

Dockers also beat Richmond by 1 point - round 5 at Paterson's Stadium.

Richmond (1 point win), Collingwood (27 point win) and Port Adelaide (74 point win) are the only top 8 teams that the Dockers have beaten and..............these three wins were all at Paterson's Stadium.

Let's look at how Fremantle have performed against the other top 8 sides:

Lost to Essendon by 4 points at Paterson's Stadium - Round 3

Lost to Hawthorn by 42 points at Aurora Stadium - Round 4

Drew with Sydney at the SCG - Round 8

Lost to Geelong by 41 points at Skilled Stadium - Round 14

Lost to Richmond by 27 points at the MCG - Round 17

Flat track bullies the Dockers are. Yes they have had a good season, a better season then last year but the stats speak for themselves..........they do struggle against the best.

We were also only 5 points down at 3/4 time after giving them a 6 goal head start and from memory we hit the lead early in the last I think before they over ran us again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 23 - Collingwood v North Melb - MCG Sunday 3.20pm Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back