Review AFL Round 10 autopsy - Geelong defeats GWS Giants by 65 points

Remove this Banner Ad

1st half - despicable
2nd half - much better effort. Controlled the game tempo and had pretty consistent contribution across the ground.

Although Taylor will go back I hope this gives him more confidence - not that he needs it.
Much better out of the centre in the 2nd half.

Of the youngstersI thought that Schroeder battled a little with the pace but he put his body in. Stringer was pretty good today although he got caught. Smedts did some clever things - a little flashy. McCarthy - hard to gauge.

One thing that has concerned me a bit and was prevalent in the first half was our inability to make tackles stick. Mackie is a serial offender but it happened consistently in the first half.

Anyway, we have done exactly what the Dons and Blues did against the GWS - pulled away as the game wore on.

Re: Round 10 Geelong vs GWS Simonds Stadium

yep true.
Different feeling this time around for me tho.

I'd suggest the only difference is our win/loss record. Looking at the games in isolation, they were very similar. I would have loved a 100+ point win as much as anyone, but a reasonable percentage boost, no (reported) injuries, Johnson probably BOG again, Harry confirming his ability to pinch hit as a forward, Duncan having another good game, Podsi getting a 'quiet' three and McCarthy (in particular) impressing were all positives. Bring on the Blues.

It probably does GWS a disservice to focus on how disgraceful we were in the first half. They've been pretty good from the start in most games, before falling away and that's how it played out today. We weren't great, by any stretch, but it's not our worst half this year, for mine.

Jeeze we are missing wojo and trav. Cannot wait for those 2 to play with motlop. Could be the spark we need to rekindle the flame. Feeling flat we are.

"One thing that has concerned me a bit and was prevalent in the first half was our inability to make tackles stick. Mackie is a serial offender but it happened consistently in the first half."

I thought Mack battled on well today and is easy to single out.

I don't think Smedts is ready at this point though he was better today.

But I do take your point, and if Stokes was dropped for one of the returning late withdrawals or Woj or Simpkin who deserves back in on his vfl form, then that's ok with me. I just don't think MC will do it, not at this time.

Yes, we haven't been consistent across 4 quarters in most games this week, we need to be next week or we won't win. It's a huge game, for all our poor form if we win it and are 7-4 at the break, that is a real platform from which to launch a finals assault. Big difference between 7-4 and 6-5 though.

I wonder why? What is Stokes doing that surpasses any of those knocking on the door?

We'd be in front, and investing in the future, if we played a youngster and they matched his input at the very least.

I can't figure it out either! R.e. stokes. He seems to hold up the play when it's not needed and lead when he shouldn't. But he obviously does something...

Nope. Smedts coughs it up too much. Wont handle pressure against carlton. Straight swap for Hawkins amongst others.

And Stokes doesn't? He hasnt played a good game in a long long time. has been in sub par form for basically a season and a half. Needs a run in the reserves. Smedst on the other hand has an excuse in being a young player, and is our future.

"One thing that has concerned me a bit and was prevalent in the first half was our inability to make tackles stick. Mackie is a serial offender but it happened consistently in the first half."

I thought Mack battled on well today and is easy to single out.

Re. Mackie No - they kicked 2-3 goals from GWS players breaking his tackles today. I thought he was solid otherwise but he needs to be harder than that.

And Stokes doesn't? He hasnt played a good game in a long long time. has been in sub par form for basically a season and a half. Needs a run in the reserves. Smedst on the other hand has an excuse in being a young player, and is our future.

Agreed. Sorry, I wasn't commenting on stokes just Smedts. I think Smedts has a future, just not next week against the blues. :thumbsu:

Normally I'd be happy to play the kids in pressure games, however there is just bit too much at stake.

Everyone still think we can 'switch it on' even with all those players out. Just like their games against the Bombers and Blues GWS matched us early and then fell away. We were missing a hell of a lot of players, no one can replace the ones we had out. The only thing that concerned me was that it was senior players that did everything in the second half, none of the youngsters took the step up really.

Still. Glass Half Full. Bring on the Blues.

I am going to watch the replay carefully and do a report on Gillies.
I remember watching Scarlett early in his career. He got smashed a few times but I always felt he would make it. I do not get the same feeling about Gillies but the coach says they see him as their future?? Not so sure

Re. Mackie No - they kicked 2-3 goals from GWS players breaking his tackles today. I thought he was solid otherwise but he needs to be harder than that.[/QUOTE]

In the first half there was alot of space for the gws forwards with little midfield pressure. That cant be blamed on Mack.

In saying that i cannot actually remember an obvious missed tackle though i stand to be corrected.

Mack is not meant to be a dour defender, his best go is to provide run and carry and keep his opponent in check. I think he did that.

Far worse out there than Mack. If he was missing we would really feel it.

You can switch on when you are in form. Sadly I do not think this is the case.
We will have to assemble our team quickly and have a crack.

The coaches will decide by the half way mark what the final side will look like

Half of the team was inexperienced this week, must start to settle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad Gillies got a game today,confirmed what I have long thought,not up to AFL standard even with a solid back 5 for support and against week opposition.
We need to try some one else back there.

Even I can't defend Stokes and I've gone in to bat for him for ever,he's sadly out of form
but will probable get a start next week due to injuries and a posible suspension as has been mentioned.

The same old bodies did the job today,I didn't think our kids had a big influence on the game.Thought Duncan and T Hunt after 1/2 time were o/k.

Except for Harries 6 it's been a pretty forgetful and sorry day for me given the reserves match horrors.

Everyone still think we can 'switch it on' even with all those players out. Just like their games against the Bombers and Blues GWS matched us early and then fell away. We were missing a hell of a lot of players, no one can replace the ones we had out. The only thing that concerned me was that it was senior players that did everything in the second half, none of the youngsters took the step up really.

Still. Glass Half Full. Bring on the Blues.

I thought Duncan did, and Stringer and Poodle worked hard but beyond that you have a point.

Though it is unrealistic to expect kids with less than 10 games who are finding their feet to have a huge impact. If younger players need to step up to support the senior core (which I agree is true) then it is your third and fourth year players, your Duncan's, Motlop's, Thunt's Motlop's West Gillies etc who need to provide that. And this of course is where injuries to guys like Menzel and Vardy (and more recently Bundy) do hurt.

We need the whole side to lift across the board if we're going to beat Carlton.

Not great this year but had his best and most consistent year ever 2011 so don't know where you got that from?:confused:

Maybe I am old fashioned but I am happy with any win. Loved Bartel's game. Taylor is a superstar. Smedts has huge potential.

Stringer is a rolls Royce compared with Schroder, dear me, what a scrubber. Why on earth did he play ahead of Hogan or Horlin-Smith?

Maybe I am old fashioned but I am happy with any win. Loved Bartel's game. Taylor is a superstar. Smedts has huge potential.

Stringer is a rolls Royce compared with Schroder, dear me, what a scrubber. Why on earth did he play ahead of Hogan or Horlin-Smith?
You're seriously writing him off after one game?

I saw Stringer play VFL last year and was not impressed and think i posted that he would not make it.

Lessen, never judge a player on the first time you see them. Schroder can play, was nervous and didnt get much space. Will be better for the run and well done Scotty for blooding him. Will go back to the VFL knowing what is needed and having run around with jimmy bartel.

Those saying stokes will be dropped are deluded. We are dying from having a dozen or so players out there that have played less than 50 games. Next week will see the 3 withdrawals from today come back, as well as possibly Simpson for west. And id bet money that Hawkins won't be right, hence the Harry experiment. Carlton don't have the forward height to need 3 key backs, and having had an arthroscope, and te bye being te week after, hawk won't play.

Smedts has lots of potential, just some rough edges.

On Schroder, sure he's not fit enough yet and struggles to spread (which is why I'd be surprised if he plays a lot of senior footy this year) but his work at the contest was quite good, has some good attributes.

Don't know why you'd be so harsh on him after one game.
(by the way Horlin didn't even play vfl today so he must be rested).

You're seriously writing him off after one game?

I didn't write him off but I think you generally get a good idea on what sort of player they are on first look. I am pretty sure he is not one of the five midfield players we need to find over the next 3 years.

If I was Hogan, I'd be dirty he was picked ahead of me. Is that unfair?

Some short memories on here. He was terrific in 2011 and was very good for us against Collingwood.

Everyone still think we can 'switch it on' even with all those players out. Just like their games against the Bombers and Blues GWS matched us early and then fell away. We were missing a hell of a lot of players, no one can replace the ones we had out.

Agree with that. At the moment, you'd have to say we're unlikely to have a lot of ten goal plus wins this year. But the 2009 team only had a few of those during the H&A rounds too and it worked out ok for them. If we can win our share of games over the next three months, while getting more games into the players who've already debuted, along with possibly Walker/Bathie and Kersten, it will have been a positive year.

I remember back when commentators used to note that our mid 00s team had barely any players with 100+ games. Then the 1999-2001 draftees were fast-tracked to their 100s and off we went. Now, it's unreasonable to assume that the next generation will be as good as the core of our premiership sides, but there's little doubt they'll be better players in three years' time, if we give them more experience now.

Those saying stokes will be dropped are deluded. We are dying from having a dozen or so players out there that have played less than 50 games. Next week will see the 3 withdrawals from today come back, as well as possibly Simpson for west. And id bet money that Hawkins won't be right, hence the Harry experiment. Carlton don't have the forward height to need 3 key backs, and having had an arthroscope, and te bye being te week after, hawk won't play.

No way. Simpson is still weeks away fitness wise.

I do agree on the rest though, if you want to remain competitive you can't overload the side with inexperienced players (I'd say more than 6 or 7 is too many) and that is part of the reason why Stokes will probably remain for now. He'd want to find form quick smart though.

I agree on Hawk, don't think he will be risked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 10 autopsy - Geelong defeats GWS Giants by 65 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back