Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:50PM (10 minutes delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, we made the Hawthorn fans happy at least, the miserable pricks.

Not this one. Any Hawk fan who thinks this was a good result for Hawthorn is kidding themselves. Doesn't say anything about the Cats with all your outs - but it did say quite a bit about how good the Saints are defensively; especially against talls.

So, I reckon any hope of us beating the Saints has almost been extinguished.

And recent history shows us that any game between the Hawks and the Cats is a toss of a coin regardless of form or ladder position. Tonight didn't change that at all. If anything this loss will give you guys even more incentive in two weeks.

The big negative for the Cats tonight, imo, was your structure and gameplan going forward after half-time. Long bombs to no particular target over and over. I have a feeling your mids have little faith in your forwards when the going gets tough. Chapman missing hurt of course. But this slight weakness is only exposed by the toughest, best drilled and organised defence in the Comp - St Kilda. We can't shut you down like they did. Our best hope is to win a shoot out.

That's why Hawks/Cats games are always brilliant to watch whatever the result!

Not this one. Any Hawk fan who thinks this was a good result for Hawthorn is kidding themselves. Doesn't say anything about the Cats with all your outs - but it did say quite a bit about how good the Saints are defensively; especially against talls.

So, I reckon any hope of us beating the Saints has almost been extinguished.

And recent history shows us that any game between the Hawks and the Cats is a toss of a coin regardless of form or ladder position. Tonight didn't change that at all. If anything this loss will give you guys even more incentive in two weeks.

The big negative for the Cats tonight, imo, was your structure and gameplan going forward after half-time. Long bombs to no particular target over and over. I have a feeling your mids have little faith in your forwards when the going gets tough. Chapman missing hurt of course. But this slight weakness is only exposed by the toughest, best drilled and organised defence in the Comp - St Kilda. We can't shut you down like they did. Our best hope is to win a shoot out.

That's why Hawks/Cats games are always brilliant to watch whatever the result!

Top post :thumbsu:

You're right, the game in two weeks is practically guaranteed to be a cracker.

Chapman (Norm Smith Medallist)
Ottens
Corey
Kelly
Hawkins
Rooke

All missing.

Plus we went in with a tall side in wet conditions and a fair bit of inexperience with the likes of Taylor Hunt, Trent West and Ryan Gamble, so there is alot of improvement to be made for sure.

The major concern for me was how the momentum shifted and we allowed ourselves to be so utterly constricted by St. Kilda in the second half. I can handle a loss, but seeing this great team not being able to conjure a goal in a half of football is a pretty sorry sight.

Maybe Geelong were beginning to become complacent again after all the smashings of low tier opposition or expected things to turn late in the game without actually doing anything. I know it was wet, but we made a lot of screw ups that the Saints players simply weren't making. Hopefully, this spurs them on for the next time they meet and we can find a way around their defensive structure as it obviously killed us.

I don't like to complain too much about umpiring as I know it works both ways but the umpires got St. Kilda back into that game. I don't know if the motive was to get them over the line or try and generate a close contest when Geelong looked like winning it but there were some calls or lack thereof that cost us our momentum and got them back into it.

Re: AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:40PM

Saints will now have belief after beating us, plus they will get Riewoldt back so i really can't see anyone stopping them this year, i think they've got it.
They were the pre-season flag favourites, and everything seems to be falling into place for them. Roo , Gram will return and they know they can STOP every team from scoring, no matter the personnel. They will play in the GF , question is against who.

Gees quiet train home... Decided to wait it out till 11:00 train home. 6 carraige velocity, and there were only about 10-15 people on the whole thing :confused: We were the only group in the back three carriages. Supprised there were actually 60,000 there haha

St. Kilda are the best team in the comp.

I know we have smashed the likes of Port, Richmond, Essendon, Sydney and Brisbane but these are mid/low range teams. I don't mean to be pessimistic but what good teams have we beaten so far this year?

The only one is Collingwood. We were beaten by Fremantle, now St. Kilda and have yet to play the Bulldogs.

Now, people were so willing to write off the Saints after they lost to some pretty average sides but they have adapted without Roo and found other outlets to score. If he has a down day like he did in the GF, it means St. Kilda wont go to shit, they'll be better for it.

Now take a look at the sides St. Kilda have beaten:

Collingwood, WBD, Geelong and Fremantle (twice). Sure, they might not have crushed the mighty Port by a 100 points nor faced and beaten Essendon twice, but do they care? Are these the teams they'll be playing in the finals? Highly unlikely. St. Kilda have proved they can beat the best teams in the comp and have done it without their most important player.

I have heard about Geelong improving with the likes of Pods coming into the side and Varcoe improving but, in reality, the Saints will be a much better side this year than last because they have been forced to learn how to play without their best player. They could've fallen apart but instead they have done what great sides do and adapt.

On our day, we can beat them. Of that I have no doubt but I think it's time for both players and supporters alike to put things in perspective and realise that nothing is a given and arrogance will get you no where.

No doubt we'll thump North at Skilled next week and suddenly we'll be top shit again and everyone will be talking us up again whilst St. Kilda fly under the spotlight, winning the games that matter. We will get to the finals unprepared, they will get there fit and firing.

what the coaching staff have to look at is the way saints drop players back.

how many times we attacked but either had a 3-4 to one disadvantage or no one down their was way to repetitive for my liking.

and we never seemed to have the same amount dropping back the other way.

Tonight they played finals footy:footy: we didnt!!!It was obvious Geelong were just not hungry enough for this one.St Kilda really needed that win after the GF Loss.As far as the umpires are concerned why bother :rolleyes:that was obvious as well.It was woefull.

We were outplayed, out tackled and the likes of Steven (who the hell is he??) Gwilt, Schneider etc led us a merry dance. Certainly we need to remove the preponderance of 50's that we seem to concede, and Scarlett reliving the Andrew Dunkley 'miss the ball' incident in the 1996 Grand Final gave the saints the momentum.

But our side was unsettled a bit without Kelly (who has been in great ball-extracting form recently), and we may have gone a bit too tall with West, Gamble (not sure where Hogan or Duncan went?) and with Moons and Pods in these conditions. Of course if Mooney kicked those early chances, we'd have been further in front.

Still, a chance to regroup, see what we need to do to improve against St.Kilda, and perhaps take some focus off us. We are still on top of the table, and still have Ottens and Corey out. Mooney and Scarlett played their first games in a while, and we will be better than this i'm sure.

It is also our 10th defeat since Rd 5 2007, so i am not calling panic stations yet.

They rate Steven very highly at the club, did an injury in the preseason and took awhile to find his feet again, hence bursting back into the side this far into the season. I think Gwilt has a good case for most improved player in the comp (though perhaps Varcoe will give him a good run for his money)

As good as your in's were, I thought your out's were worse being that they were 'form' players.

The contest was one to be expected from our sides, shame about the rain, but still an immense battle.

I am probably one of the few that liked that it was round 13, and I like that the next encounter will likely be September.

Cheers :)

As far as the umpires are concerned why bother :rolleyes:that was obvious as well.It was woefull.

i know it had absolutely no bearing on the game whatsoever but was that milne decision in the last minute or so?

being at the game we had no idea....it looked like milne played on, the ump called it, milne fu<ked up and got caught. at worst case scenario a bounce/ball up would have been suffice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a tough hard fought game tonight that we were able to sneak away with. I know we are good at shutting down teams but I never expected this.

Just a question to you guys, if Brad Ottens was fit would Mark Blake even be getting a look in? He really seems like a lost cause especially in these big games. He may have played the odd good game but is he really a "Geelong" quality ruckman?

He would probably fit well in a lower club but he doesn't seem to fit in the Cats side. It's just my feel on him and not meant as an attack as such. Please feel free to disagree and tell me why I'm wrong.:)

i know it had absolutely no bearing on the game whatsoever but was that milne decision in the last minute or so?

being at the game we had no idea....it looked like milne played on, the ump called it, milne fu<ked up and got caught. at worst case scenario a bounce/ball up would have been suffice.

It was called as a ball up and Hunt cracked it, nearly burst a vein in his neck abusing the umpire because he thought it should have been a holding the ball (and I agree with him). So the free kick was for abusing the umpire.

It was a tough hard fought game tonight that we were able to sneak away with. I know we are good at shutting down teams but I never expected this.

Just a question to you guys, if Brad Ottens was fit would Mark Blake even be getting a look in? He really seems like a lost cause especially in these big games. He may have played the odd good game but is he really a "Geelong" quality ruckman?

He would probably fit well in a lower club but he doesn't seem to fit in the Cats side. It's just my feel on him and not meant as an attack as such. Please feel free to disagree and tell me why I'm wrong.:)

Blake has his limitations and we as supporters know what they are, but he still has a lot of pluses and does good for the team. Though it is frustrating when I see West do little things like shepherd, which I wish Blake would do.

It is clear that neither West nor Simpson are right up to it yet and are therefore not ideal options come September, so I think it comes down to whether Hawkins is fit to ruck given his footy troubles. If so Blake may face some heat, if not we will plough on with him.

Anyway on the game itself, St Kilda were good, but we were poor. While I hate how they play the game with the ultra strangle, they do execute it well so credit to them for that. The number of times Mooney and Pods had extra numbers in front of them was too hard...we either need to man up those free men, or change how we bring the ball in. Personnel back will help, but we have things to address too. Without making excuses, a dry day will also help because it is obviously much harder to get the numbers back effectively when it's dry and you can move the ball quicker. I certainly think they are in all likelihood our GF opponent though.

I really hope nobody bags Gamble.

What was Bomber thinking playing him up forward when he has clearly been down back for the entire VFL season?

Anywho, well done to the Saints, better team on the night.

I must disagree.

He was getting spanked by Schneider. We would have been killed if he had left him there.

If Bomber deserves a 'what was he thinking' award it is for thinking of, and trying to make Gamble into, a defender. He's not.

And he was better when he went forward.

I reckon he's played his last game for the club, but if he does play again, it should be FORWARD.

Top post :thumbsu:

You're right, the game in two weeks is practically guaranteed to be a cracker.

I agree...the prospect is mouthwatering. I just hope the JPOD doesn't get the chop or I will be spending the entire pre match function crying and not come out from the bar until the 2nd half :p

That said, I can't wait for the Hawks.

Always good to see 36 blokes inside 50.
^ This :D:thumbsu:

meh - taylor is injured, johnson is injured, pods is out of touch, chapman out, mooney is coming back from an extended period out, ditto scarlett, gamble being played out of position (as in he should be sitting in the stands). Its just one of those days where things just don't go right

You try having 3 defenders in front of you blocking your leading space, and then having guys bomb it onto, or over your head, to the advantage side of those defenders (Gamble's kick to Pods in the third is a good example of this) and see if you're in touch.

He will bounce back next week.

Imagine the uproar if they had to play us in the rain AGAIN. Is it raining tonight?. Can they get a tarp to cover the mcg in time?. Poor bastards, talk about bad luck.

Is it really soaking wet there today pure ownage?

It was. The front row where I sat in olympic was a flood...I wished I'd worn gumboots every time I exited to go buy chips.:D

I'm not really satisfied with 'we were missing player x, y and z' as a reason for losing. We were on top in the first half, and we should have stayed on top in the second. It's shit football for players with time and space to kick to 4-1 contests in the forward 50 if you're in the AFL or C grade ammos - we used the ball poorly throughout, and it wasn't all down to St Kilda's pressure (which ramped up notably in the second half).

we always play like crap after a break. The Saints were awesome last night. But we have plenty of time to get our squad up for the finals rematch. Still a long way to go in the season and hopefully that loss will give them a bit of a kick up the bum.

He was better than Gardner

It was a very poor effort in the second half, but ultimately credit to St. Kilda. They do play very unattractive football, but as it's clean, fair, and wins them games I have no problem with it.
What gave me the schlits though is how our forwards never seemed to use their body in a contest. Throw your body into the contest FFS. :thumbsdown:
On another note, St. Kilda played their Grand Final last night IMO. Just look at how arrogant their bandwagon supporters are starting to get again after a meaningless H&A win.

I'm not really satisfied with 'we were missing player x, y and z' as a reason for losing. We were on top in the first half, and we should have stayed on top in the second. It's shit football for players with time and space to kick to 4-1 contests in the forward 50 if you're in the AFL or C grade ammos - we used the ball poorly throughout, and it wasn't all down to St Kilda's pressure (which ramped up notably in the second half).
Spot on. Pathetic performance in the second half. Couldn't even do the basics.

Blake has his limitations and we as supporters know what they are, but he still has a lot of pluses and does good for the team. Though it is frustrating when I see West do little things like shepherd, which I wish Blake would do.

It is clear that neither West nor Simpson are right up to it yet and are therefore not ideal options come September, so I think it comes down to whether Hawkins is fit to ruck given his footy troubles. If so Blake may face some heat, if not we will plough on with him.

Yeah, I understand you have to work with what you've got. You probably would have liked some of your young ruckman to have developed a little quicker than they have though. I think you've got the team to overcome their limitations though, so you are lucky in that respect.

JUBJUB said:
He was better than Gardner
I've accepted the fact that King is done and Gardiner, whilst providing some special games every now and then, is well past his prime. The future is McEvoy and Stanley. The more game time we give these young blokes, the better for our future.

I'm just hoping they become better than West and Blake.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:50PM (10 minutes delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back