Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:50PM (10 minutes delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:40PM

Interestingly, I reckon Zac and Raph not in is a win for you guys. No disrespect intended but I don't rate either at all, and what I know of your back-line, they seem to work better without their clangers.

I'm not afraid to back either of them, they were both a huge part of a record breaking defence last year and they obviously know how to play their role.

If Zac is fit and returns then he get's Pods, however I am confident he will also get to know Fisher, Gwilt, Gilbert, Blake before the evening's out....hopefully as the guys who spoil the contested mark party every time he thinks he is one out ;)

Yeah...I've been looking forward to that match-up. Zac the Hack won't know what hit him.
Jeebus...can you imagine what Pods will do to the Hawthorn back-line in a couple of weeks??!!

I can. I remember being at the Collingwood praccy match watching Pods tear it up in the first half (while we were being thrashed mind you) where it became clear Motlop was going to play and thinking 'noooo let Pods loose on the Hawks!'

I'm not afraid to back either of them, they were both a huge part of a record breaking defence last year and they obviously know how to play their role.

If Zac is fit and returns then he get's Pods, however I am confident he will also get to know Fisher, Gwilt, Gilbert, Blake before the evening's out....hopefully as the guys who spoil the contested mark party every time he thinks he is one out ;)

Pods is more than capable of outleaping two or three blokes if necessary.

That said, if we win the clearances, and use our top speed of ball movement, you are going to find it very hard to get multiple numbers back before the ball goes to Pods. For that reason I'd be very surprised if Fisher, or even Blake, doesn't play on him rather than Dawson.

You guys are a class above, I realise that, but is there a team that can get closer to you blokes than we can?

In a word, no.

Come finals time, Cats near full strength and playing at/near the top of their game, the only team I see capable of beating us are the Saints.

Not saying you will, but given a bit of luck you're clearly the side that constitutes the biggest threat to us going back to back IMO.

Agree, and agree.

Still really struggle to see where St Kilda will get there goals from? Yes we all know that they are a masterclass at defending and don't have to score much....but we are a big scoring unit and have found ways through that. The lowest score St Kilda restricted us to was the GF....and even then we kicked a decent score in the wet!

Milne has been the instigator in many St Kilda victories since Roo got injured and we have Enright or Hunt to take him out of the equation. Can't see Kositzke getting the better of Taylor, Lonergan or Scarlettt. Which leaves perhaps Brendon Goddard in the forward 50, who i admit is a decent player and a great kick - but if he resides deep, who gets the ball down there?

And definitely can't see Gardiner having another big one, although it does worry me that we have only Blake as a match up there again - ill bet Lyon tries to exploit that. Is Otto' any chance of making a comeback this round?

As for us kicking goals? Well take your pick....I think the major thing that will differentiate us from other teams vs. the saints is that we will be confident kicking quickly and long to the contests knowing that both Mooney and Podsiadly will at least provide a spillage against the likes of Fisher, Dawson and Gilbert.

Still really struggle to see where St Kilda will get there goals from? Yes we all know that they are a masterclass at defending and don't have to score much....but we are a big scoring unit and have found ways through that. The lowest score St Kilda restricted us to was the GF....and even then we kicked a decent score in the wet!

Milne has been the instigator in many St Kilda victories since Roo got injured and we have Enright or Hunt to take him out of the equation. Can't see Kositzke getting the better of Taylor, Lonergan or Scarlettt. Which leaves perhaps Brendon Goddard in the forward 50, who i admit is a decent player and a great kick - but if he resides deep, who gets the ball down there?

And definitely can't see Gardiner having another big one, although it does worry me that we have only Blake as a match up there again - ill bet Lyon tries to exploit that. Is Otto' any chance of making a comeback this round?

As for us kicking goals? Well take your pick....I think the major thing that will differentiate us from other teams vs. the saints is that we will be confident kicking quickly and long to the contests knowing that both Mooney and Podsiadly will at least provide a spillage against the likes of Fisher, Dawson and Gilbert.

milne, schneider, kosi, goddard, dal, joey, mcqualter, stanley, gardiner, mcevoy....

you may think i have just named a bunch of random players but these are the players that have been getting our goals in recent weeks.

milne, schneider, kosi, goddard, dal, joey, mcqualter, stanley, gardiner, mcevoy....

you may think i have just named a bunch of random players but these are the players that have been getting our goals in recent weeks.

Yeah ok....

Milne - Boris

Schneider - who cares, can't kick straight anyway

Kosi - Lonergan / Taylor,

Stanley - 3rd game player

Gardiner - yeah, could be a weapon, but hasn't really kicked any goals since the round 14 match last year.

McEvoy - is a ruckman

Goddard - yep, possibly a good forward matchup, but will likely be picked up by Scarlett in that matchup and considering Scarletts last few matches included keeping both Bradshaw and Fevola to a total of 1 goal, i like our chances

Dal and Joey - come on, thats a bit of a stretch, they have kicked, what, 5 goals between them this year? If that?

All in all, St Kilda just aren't a big scoring side and i really struggle to see how they will come up with the 12-15 goals necessary to be able to win this one? Even there best defensive efforts couldn't restrict us below that 12 goal margin, so i like our chances at the moment!

Yeah ok....

Milne - Boris

Schneider - who cares, can't kick straight anyway

Kosi - Lonergan / Taylor,

Stanley - 3rd game player

Gardiner - yeah, could be a weapon, but hasn't really kicked any goals since the round 14 match last year.

McEvoy - is a ruckman

Goddard - yep, possibly a good forward matchup, but will likely be picked up by Scarlett in that matchup and considering Scarletts last few matches included keeping both Bradshaw and Fevola to a total of 1 goal, i like our chances

Dal and Joey - come on, thats a bit of a stretch, they have kicked, what, 5 goals between them this year? If that?

All in all, St Kilda just aren't a big scoring side and i really struggle to see how they will come up with the 12-15 goals necessary to be able to win this one? Even there best defensive efforts couldn't restrict us below that 12 goal margin, so i like our chances at the moment!

you asked who will get the goals, and i gave you the players that will,
i dont care which backman go on them, they have been getting our goals.
mcevoy a ruck? you dont say, why does that stop him from getting goals? he goes forward and can take a big mark,
so what if stanleys a 3rd game player? doesnt mean he cant kick any goals? :S
and dal and joey, well youre wrong there,
as joey has kicked 11 goals and dal 9, theyve actually kicked 20 between them, not 5...
joey kicked 5 himself against adelaide, so dont underestimate him.

you asked who will get the goals, and i gave you the players that will,
i dont care which backman go on them, they have been getting our goals.
mcevoy a ruck? you dont say, why does that stop him from getting goals? he goes forward and can take a big mark,
so what if stanleys a 3rd game player? doesnt mean he cant kick any goals? :S
and dal and joey, well youre wrong there,
as joey has kicked 11 goals and dal 9, theyve actually kicked 20 between them, not 5...
joey kicked 5 himself against adelaide, so dont underestimate him.

Yes i was wondering where the goals would come from for this match and I still am struggling to see exactly that.

The stat about Joey and Dal suprises me, but fair enough, looks like the have quadroupled their output for goals this year - however i wouldn't expect to much from them against geelong.

Stanley will be well held, as to will Mcevoy.

Can't see Milne posing much problems on Boris. Goddard and Gardiner are your two most likely in my opinion

Gaz4brownlow, of course you like your chances, you'll be going in favourites for a reason. ;)

Our resting ruckman, backmen pushing up, and our midfielders, have all been making efforts to contribute to the scoreboard in recent weeks. You may say big deal, but for a side that was very Roo concious, we finally look like we are capable of having a good spread of individual goalkickers (inaccuracy has hurt us the last few weeks, but we have capable of having 10+ in recent times which is very good for us)

I still see our side as a work in progress, with heaps of area's to improve as we approach September, but to be sitting 2nd while learning those lessons....I am very proud :thumbsu:

Will it all come together this week against Geelong, maybe...maybe not, but the pleasing thing for me, is that we are trending in the right direction with another half a season to get it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaz4brownlow, of course you like your chances, you'll be going in favourites for a reason. ;)

Our resting ruckman, backmen pushing up, and our midfielders, have all been making efforts to contribute to the scoreboard in recent weeks. You may say big deal, but for a side that was very Roo concious, we finally look like we are capable of having a good spread of individual goalkickers (inaccuracy has hurt us the last few weeks, but we have capable of having 10+ in recent times which is very good for us)

I still see our side as a work in progress, with heaps of area's to improve as we approach September, but to be sitting 2nd while learning those lessons....I am very proud :thumbsu:

Will it all come together this week against Geelong, maybe...maybe not, but the pleasing thing for me, is that we are trending in the right direction with another half a season to get it right.

The problem Saints will have is that in order to kick enough goals against our defence they are going to have to push forward in numbers. That exposes them on the rebound against what is a vastly improved Geelong forward line, even by 2009 standards.
There is no doubt that Saints are disciplined and structured enough to put enough numbers back to slow us down early, but eventually you have to take risks to get goals, and as soon as that happens we will pounce.
As I see it, we are at least 10% better than last year and Saints are at least 10% worse (and that's being generous without Roo).
This is an interesting year where for once I'm not sure the comp has improved much other than Geelong.
Saints have been admirable after losing Roo, but not better.
Collingwood is the same old same old, and the Bulldogs are ageing and struggling.
Cats however have found a couple of final pieces of the puzzle in Varcoe (Rioli with more talent and consistency and less hype), and of course Pods. You simply can't underestimate how important he has become so quickly.
We are the luckiest or smartest Flag defenders in AFL history in finding this guy.

Exactly Witsend...

The Saints have a problem in balancing out there forward / defense structure. To accomodate there lack of scoring prowess against teams lately they have had to loosen up there defensive stocks...and they have been heavily reliant on Milne scoring a bag or two, which is just not going to happen against Enright. If they are to come up with the 12-15 goals necessary to beat us then they are going to have to compromise their defense to severely, and i think we have just got to many avenues to be seriously worried about them.

My only hope is that Blake can be a bit more effective on Gardiner this time round...

There was an article during the week that said Corey, Scarlett and Mooney are expected back for the saints clash and Ottens the week after. But with Ottens' track record you'd say it would be a week or 2 after that.

Really looking forward to this game. I'm heading down to see it, and it will be my first ever time to the MCG... pumped!

Yes i was wondering where the goals would come from for this match and I still am struggling to see exactly that.

The stat about Joey and Dal suprises me, but fair enough, looks like the have quadroupled their output for goals this year - however i wouldn't expect to much from them against geelong.

Stanley will be well held, as to will Mcevoy.

Can't see Milne posing much problems on Boris. Goddard and Gardiner are your two most likely in my opinion
Who will stop Stanley (200cm), McEvoy, Shneider and Milne? We were lucky the latter 2 haven't kicked well against us. They have worrying matchups for us. We are neither tall nor fast in defence.

I do have a bad habit of studying in depth the teams that really concern me, and for 2 years now, it's the Saints, and I think too many disregard their strengths . Hoping we don't regret our player selection for this game, like potentially selecting some who haven't played for 10 weeks or so is concerning, and not matching their height up forward.

They have to find answers for our host of scoring options, but as I say, I seem to focus on what our problems might be. That's just how it is. At least I feel pretty optimistic about EVERY game we play, given this amazing array of talent we have.

Who will stop Stanley (200cm), McEvoy, Shneider and Milne? We were lucky the latter 2 haven't kicked well against us. They have worrying matchups for us. We are neither tall nor fast in defence.

I do have a bad habit of studying in depth the teams that really concern me, and for 2 years now, it's the Saints, and I think too many disregard their strengths . Hoping we don't regret our player selection for this game, like potentially selecting some who haven't played for 10 weeks or so is concerning, and not matching their height up forward.

They have to find answers for our host of scoring options, but as I say, I seem to focus on what our problems might be. That's just how it is. At least I feel pretty optimistic about EVERY game we play, given this amazing array of talent we have.

You have got to be kidding right? Mcevoy and Stanley? Just because blokes stand 200cm doesn't make them good footballers. I would say it doesn't really matter who we play on them - Lonergan, Taylor, Scarlett, Milburn and Mackie will have a field day and burn them the other way. Plus i would expect Blake to well and truly beat Mcevoy in the ruck contests.

Scnheider and Milne aren't traditionally much of a problem for us. You would expect Boris to take Milne and do what he normally does. As for schneider - well maybe even Scarlett will take this contest considering Lonergan and Taylor will most likely stick to key posts.

Think Gardiner and Goddard loom as the real forward threats that we need to curtail...and even they are a long shot. Wouldn't even be suprised to see a Joel Corey play a run with type game on Goddard considering it will be his first week back.

You have got to be kidding right? Mcevoy and Stanley? Just because blokes stand 200cm doesn't make them good footballers. I would say it doesn't really matter who we play on them - Lonergan, Taylor, Scarlett, Milburn and Mackie will have a field day and burn them the other way. Plus i would expect Blake to well and truly beat Mcevoy in the ruck contests.

Scnheider and Milne aren't traditionally much of a problem for us. You would expect Boris to take Milne and do what he normally does. As for schneider - well maybe even Scarlett will take this contest considering Lonergan and Taylor will most likely stick to key posts.

Think Gardiner and Goddard loom as the real forward threats that we need to curtail...and even they are a long shot. Wouldn't even be suprised to see a Joel Corey play a run with type game on Goddard considering it will be his first week back.
Agree with your 200 cm points, but I'm just talking about matchups, and why they could trouble uswith height if they get Hayes, Gram, Dal, and Montagna delivering it quickly forward, which they have been able to do against us. Hayes particularly is a gun at extracting.

The Corey idea would be my choice IF HE WAS FIT, but from some reports his knee swells with running and training is minimal, hardly the ideal preparation to handle an absolute star like Goddard, which he is. Not sure who we use on Goddard. He troubled us in the GF until breaking his nose and collarbone.Maybe rotate Milburn and Mackie??

Gardiner is trouble when he goes forward, and will need Blake to contest with him, but he will be reminded about the 09 rd 14 result, no doubt. Blake around the ground has improved a lot.

So we might as well go fishing instead of turning up, given we are no chance at all?

Right ... :rolleyes:

Geez mate, for a defence that's short and slow it's done a pretty bloody fair job over the last three and a half years wouldn't you agree?

If Stanley and McEvoy cause you concern you'll be a nervous wreck in a few weeks when we face the Dorks, I guess you see a ten goal loss coming up in that one? :eek:

The only one who is truly a danger is milne in his recent form, and gardiner moving forward since Blake is not particularly good defensively. And of course Goddard because he's a gun (I'm not counting montagna because there's no chance he'll play as a forward). The rest I back us to cover. We certainly need to not take them lightly, and I'm sure we won't.

Geez mate, for a defence that's short and slow it's done a pretty bloody fair job over the last three and a half years wouldn't you agree?

If Stanley and McEvoy cause you concern you'll be a nervous wreck in a few weeks when we face the Dorks, I guess you see a ten goal loss coming up in that one? :eek:

Don't poke the bear ! :)

There are only a few areas that need to be covered.

1/ The run of Goddard if he comes out of defence. Could have torn us a new one on GF day. I don't see a problem with him if he goes forward.

2/ Hayes must be stopped. We are not overly great at clearing the ball, this guy is.

3/ Our backs have to make sure that Milne and Schneider don't get behind us.

Other than, it will be pretty easy.

I think the 37 - 57 point range is about right.

Only forwards can kick goals now? I guess we had better strip Joey of his five goals against Adelaide. :eek:

No, but let's analyse the respective forward groups. We all know midfielders can get forward and kick goals, no need to state the obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:50PM (10 minutes delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back