Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:50PM (10 minutes delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:40PM

Pure, have you checked out Mackie's stats for the season so far? they're quite impressive, he must be going better than people give him credit for.

I think people (including me) have seen (just go watch green in the melbourne game for one example) that as an actual defender in the art of defending, he has been woeful. Nobody doubts Mackie's ability to be an attacking defender, and use his kicking skills etc, hence why his ball winning and usage stats have still been good, but purely on the defensive aspects, he's our worst performer in the back 6 right now.

For those interested in such things:

Series of comparative tables comparing Geelong's and St Kilda's performance 2004-2010.

Details Here:

Nice work roger

the stats i especially like on that page are

Finals Performance 2004-2009

Geelong - Played: 14, Won:10
St Kilda - Played: 12, Won:5

I think people (including me) have seen (just go watch green in the melbourne game for one example) that as an actual defender in the art of defending, he has been woeful. Nobody doubts Mackie's ability to be an attacking defender, and use his kicking skills etc, hence why his ball winning and usage stats have still been good, but purely on the defensive aspects, he's our worst performer in the back 6 right now.
And his kicking skills have always been overrated. His disposal efficiency is actually sub-par for a player of his type and position.

And his kicking skills have always been overrated. His disposal efficiency is actually sub-par for a player of his type and position.

True.

You want to see really good, consistent disposal, you watch Boris do it out of the back half.

Mackie has great vision on his kicking but it's not always consistent.

We have Scarlett and Corey returning. I know you love to be negative, but we will smash them.

Edit: Oh and Mooney.
I like to express concerns.Me saying I'd be happy with a win is negative? We haven't smashed Saints for 2 years, and with our team not at full strength, you are predicting a smashing? It's that type of POSITIVITY I struggle with, even though you could well be right.

10 news suggests doubts ++ on Mooney and Corey, and Scarlett more likely to start.

And Corey IN is NEGATIVE, IMO. He coudn't possibly be fit enough to contribute anywhere near his standard.

Mooney needs more than three weeks to recover from a rolled ankle? That is surprising.
Why was he on the ground obviously in trouble , limping, when we had a bench, against WCE?

Why was he on the ground obviously in trouble , limping, when we had a bench, against WCE?
Same thing could have been said about Hawkins the week before. With his foot history, why the hell was he put back on the field in the last quarter, in a home game against a weak side when we are six goals up?

Exactly Witsend...

The Saints have a problem in balancing out there forward / defense structure. To accomodate there lack of scoring prowess against teams lately they have had to loosen up there defensive stocks......

No you WERE correct, but the Saints have moved on.

Initially when Roo went out the backline was robbed to prop up the forward line.

This compromised our structure and failed to recognise how important the two Sam's are across the Saints HB line.

The Saints have now reverted to theit preferred structure with inclusion of Stanley. Yes he is justa kid and inexperienced but reverting to our structure means:

• The two Sam's are back where they bot belong and Gilbert is back in town with his brilliant marking.
  • Goddard is back to creating play rather than finishing it off, playing a midfielder/backfielder
  • Two tall forwards has eased the load on Kosi allowing him to have more impact on the games.
And on Stanley, yes his stats are not high but in addition to restoring our structure his lighting pace, 200cm height and athleticism means that his opponent has to play him close for with space he would be very dangerous. Most opponents cannot outrun him, let alone give him a headstart. Opposition defenders are not as able therefore to easily zone off himto gang up on other St Kilda forwards and this has made a difference. Kosi has certainly benefited from his inclusion.

Stanley is still a kid and very lean and opposition coaches are wise to stopping him with body on body contact (in a couple years he will be bigger). But that has the secondary advantage mentioned above to his team-mates.

He is keeping Roo's spot warm and enabling the Saints to play closer to their preferred structures.

PS : Gram's inside 50 work is sorely missed.

No you WERE correct, but the Saints have moved on.

Initially when Roo went out the backline was robbed to prop up the forward line.

This compromised our structure and failed to recognise how important the two Sam's are across the Saints HB line.

The Saints have now reverted to theit preferred structure with inclusion of Stanley. Yes he is justa kid and inexperienced but reverting to our structure means:

• The two Sam's are back where they bot belong and Gilbert is back in town with his brilliant marking.
  • Goddard is back to creating play rather than finishing it off, playing a midfielder/backfielder
  • Two tall forwards has eased the load on Kosi allowing him to have more impact on the games.
And on Stanley, yes his stats are not high but in addition to restoring our structure his lighting pace, 200cm height and athleticism means that his opponent has to play him close for with space he would be very dangerous. Most opponents cannot outrun him, let alone give him a headstart. Opposition defenders are not as able therefore to easily zone off himto gang up on other St Kilda forwards and this has made a difference. Kosi has certainly benefited from his inclusion.

Stanley is still a kid and very lean and opposition coaches are wise to stopping him with body on body contact (in a couple years he will be bigger). But that has the secondary advantage mentioned above to his team-mates.

He is keeping Roo's spot warm and enabling the Saints to play closer to their preferred structures.

PS : Gram's inside 50 work is sorely missed.

Im not sure why so many saints fans are coming on this board and getting worked up about oppositions analysis of their game. Its not to bag the saints, just pointing out that they are a defensively minded team who struggle to kick goals and prefer to defensively strangle their opposition.... I don't think that has changed, even if Roo came back that wouldn't change. Stanley or not, i still can't see how St Kilda are going to come up with enough goals, as surely we will have enough attacking flow to put away 12-15 (if not more).

I for one am looking forward to see how Pods goes against Gilbert and Fisher....could be a great bout of contested marking (throw in the contested grabs of Mooney as well). Hopefully Dawson gets up for the saints too....What would have been impressive is to see Hawkins, Mooney and Pods going for the big grabs just to see how the stack up against the best opposition defense.

One thing that goes unnoticed so far about this game is that we have a fully fit stevie johnson. Don't expect a repeat of his grand final performance....i doubt very much that Baker will have the same influence this time round.

I like to express concerns.Me saying I'd be happy with a win is negative? We haven't smashed Saints for 2 years, and with our team not at full strength, you are predicting a smashing? It's that type of POSITIVITY I struggle with, even though you could well be right.

10 news suggests doubts ++ on Mooney and Corey, and Scarlett more likely to start.

And Corey IN is NEGATIVE, IMO. He coudn't possibly be fit enough to contribute anywhere near his standard.

Well, instead of positivity you could say mindless optimism.

I'd love to win by 6 goals plus; but based on recent results and current form you'd think it'll be close just like the last two. Especially as we're nowhere near full strength.

But I absolutely want to win this one, I certainly don't subscribe to the ridiculous thinking that losing in the home and away season somehow improves your chances in the finals. Didn't seem to bother us in 2007.

Well, instead of positivity you could say mindless optimism.

I'd love to win by 6 goals plus; but based on recent results and current form you'd think it'll be close just like the last two. Especially as we're nowhere near full strength.

But I absolutely want to win this one, I certainly don't subscribe to the ridiculous thinking that losing in the home and away season somehow improves your chances in the finals. Didn't seem to bother us in 2007.[/quote]

Um PA in rd 21;)

Mark Thompson at Today's Training Session;

“We’re pretty sure Mooney will play, Scarlett will play and we’re not too sure where Joel Corey’s at - he’s probably got to get through tonight’s training session, which we’re confident he will,” Thompson said at Skilled Stadium on Tuesday."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want Corey to rush back...VFL for mine.

Scarlett and Mooney in for Taylor Hunt and Hogan.

The interesting thing would be if Corey was fit and we had to make three changes, who would go out. Bomber said it would be a very tough selection. On pecking order it would have to be West, but we need 2 ruckmen. Should be Mackie but he's still got his gold pass. Bomber couldn't be thinking of dropping the Pod, surely?

Bomber said that either Josh Hunt or Scarlett are likely to play on Milne.

True. But we played them twice that year.......

Round 9, 2007 - Geelong 16.20 (116) def Port Adelaide 8.12 (60).

IIRC since 2001, the winner of every grand final has lost to their opponent the last time they have played them.

Not a trend I'd worry about or see as a reason to not want to win games but interesting.

Saints forward policy is ,we go tall and hope. That's why they hardly ever kick a decent score, unless Milne has a day out.

I've never had a problem with our 3 tall option, cause our guys are genuine fwds, not just recycled ruckmen trying to pinch a couple.
Pods and Mooney are quick at ground level, as well as pacy on the lead.
I do believe there's room for another tall at times, just to shake it up a bit, unfortunately Hawkins isn't that option ATM.

I don't want Corey to rush back...VFL for mine.

Scarlett and Mooney in for Taylor Hunt and Hogan.

The interesting thing would be if Corey was fit and we had to make three changes, who would go out. Bomber said it would be a very tough selection. On pecking order it would have to be West, but we need 2 ruckmen. Should be Mackie but he's still got his gold pass. Bomber couldn't be thinking of dropping the Pod, surely?

Bomber said that either Josh Hunt or Scarlett are likely to play on Milne.

I think it will be!

Didn't he have a groin problem and then roll his ankle the next game?

IIRC since 2001, the winner of every grand final has lost to their opponent the last time they have played them.

Not a trend I'd worry about or see as a reason to not want to win games but interesting.
Hope we play Freo in GF if we get there!!!

i hope like all hell you blokes give the saints a bath tomorow night, after just reading all the ridiculas comments there all just posted about the abletts it makes me sick. good luck guys and hope gaz man chops it up.

Early weather forecasts for Friday night are saying that between 5-10mm of rain is expected to fall in Melbourne late Friday afternoon/night. Wonder if that will have any influence on the team that will be named Thursday night!

The rain is now predicted earlier in the day on Friday, who knows what it will be like by game time, although I'm hoping for a clear night as I'm sitting close to the fence :thumbsu:

MCG website is estimating a crowd of 70,000 for the game. Surely we can get at least that many despite it being a live broadcast & potentially bad weather?

BTW, thanks mustafish ^-I hope Gary has a great game too!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:50PM (10 minutes delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back