Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:50PM (10 minutes delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:40PM

I think we'll struggle to get more than mid-60,000s with the weather and the fact it is going live against the gate.

Agree, a lot of factors suggest it won't be a huge crowd. Weather forecast is for wind and rain. MCG is predicting 70,000 but I think it will be more like 62,000.

I think it will be!

Didn't he have a groin problem and then roll his ankle the next game?

Having an injury is not being dropped.

Anyway he should be fine with the week off.

Agree, a lot of factors suggest it won't be a huge crowd. Weather forecast is for wind and rain. MCG is predicting 70,000 but I think it will be more like 62,000.

The record home and away crowd was last years crowd of 54,444 at docklands. (which was a record for an AFL game at Docklands)

I think with the weather and the live telecast we will get somewhere between 55-60K.

Don't poke the bear ! :)

Other than, it will be pretty easy.

I think the 37 - 57 point range is about right.

If Saints without Riewoldt/Gram lose by 20pts - regardless of Geelongs outs - I wont lose sleep on that result.

For mine Geelongs outs that matter are; Corey, Scarlett, Rooke, Ottens - the rest add little for mine and id prefer to play Geelong with Hawkins in TBH...

That aside and purely on form - Geelong at the minute are at the top of their game. We have not once this year produced a 4 qtr result yet....we've won.....but spluttered to do it and our form is nothing like 09 mid year.

Regardless of the result I think we can take a lot from this game- Im glad its at the G...disturbingly we play there only twice this year...so to play Geelong there is great for us.

Hope its a good game free from injury....and if we meet here later in the year again.....the only thing I want is an MCG basking in sunshine and a fit Nick Riewoldt.

BTW - I think many Geelong fans underestimate the impact Goddard was having on last yrs GF prior to breaking his collarbone/nose........when talking of improvement at Saints this guys probably our most important player outside Riewoldt now and truly an elite utility able to play mid and KP.

If Saints without Riewoldt/Gram lose by 20pts - regardless of Geelongs outs - I wont lose sleep on that result.

For mine Geelongs outs that matter are; Corey, Scarlett, Rooke, Ottens - the rest add little for mine and id prefer to play Geelong with Hawkins in TBH...

That aside and purely on form - Geelong at the minute are at the top of their game. We have not once this year produced a 4 qtr result yet....we've won.....but spluttered to do it and our form is nothing like 09 mid year.

Regardless of the result I think we can take a lot from this game- Im glad its at the G...disturbingly we play there only twice this year...so to play Geelong there is great for us.

Hope its a good game free from injury....and if we meet here later in the year again.....the only thing I want is an MCG basking in sunshine and a fit Nick Riewoldt.

BTW - I think many Geelong fans underestimate the impact Goddard was having on last yrs GF prior to breaking his collarbone/nose........when talking of improvement at Saints this guys probably our most important player outside Riewoldt now and truly an elite utility able to play mid and KP.
True about Goddard. Most who watch any Saints games would realize he is an absolute gun, probable Brownlow favourite. Gilbert also needs to be mentioned, a superb player IMO. Not to mention all the usual talent. Don't worry, some of us are very concerned.

I don't think a sunny MCG does us any harm, if anything, gives us a chance to really use our strengths, = skill and speed of delivery. The GF last year was great weather for Max Rooke, but not the majority of our team. It was v. frustrating watching our normal gameplan get washed away with the rain.. Either way, it is always going to be a very difficult task to beat any current Saints team for some time yet.

here is my predication. unlike the close battles we have seen between these 2 sides for a couple of years now I think the cats are a far superior side this year and form wise. They will win by 5 or 6 goals I feel. The inclusions for the cats will only serve us better although they better make sure they are 100% (mooney etc).

i hope like all hell you blokes give the saints a bath tomorow night, after just reading all the ridiculas comments there all just posted about the abletts it makes me sick. good luck guys and hope gaz man chops it up.

I find it hilarious that the Saints fans are blaming Collingwood and Eddie in particular for all this stuff about Milne's rape case being compromised hitting the headlines this week. Surely if Collingwood was behind it, they'd have sat on the story until the week before you guys play them in Round 16. :p

True about Goddard. Most who watch any Saints games would realize he is an absolute gun, probable Brownlow favourite. Gilbert also needs to be mentioned, a superb player IMO. Not to mention all the usual talent. Don't worry, some of us are very concerned.

I don't think a sunny MCG does us any harm, if anything, gives us a chance to really use our strengths, = skill and speed of delivery. The GF last year was great weather for Max Rooke, but not the majority of our team. It was v. frustrating watching our normal gameplan get washed away with the rain.. Either way, it is always going to be a very difficult task to beat any current Saints team for some time yet.

Couldn't agree more. It annoys the hell out of me when I see Saints fans saying the wet weather cost them a flag.
Their game-plan is obviously assisted by poor weather. We play fast, attacking, play-on footy. They play dour, slow, scrimmage, rugby-esque rubbish.
We are clearly favoured by good weather. We just happen to be better than them in the wet too.
Riewoldt may have taken a few more marks in the sun last year in the GF if it hadn't rained but I believe we would have creamed them around the ground with our extra pace and skill. Why do you think they drafted Lovett and Peake? Not for their play in the wet!
FWIW I think a 5 goal win to us. Too much talent around the ground and we won't make the same mistake other teams do and bomb it long to where they have half their team waiting to mop up. Geelong have developed a nice recent history of making statements against potential challengers.
Also this is the Saints only game at the G this year.

I think the 4 Quarter effort fact is very relevant.
Saints have won 26 Quarters to Geelong's 37. That is a massive difference. If you have 1 lazy quarter against us you will either go scoreless (like Q4 of the GF) or we will bang on 7-8 goals and it's game over.
I expect a tight hard tussle for 2-3 quarters, then we will wear you down for a 5-6 goal win.
And re sunshine in a GF. You are kidding yourself if you think that suits you over us. It makes no sense at all to suggest that a free-flowing team like Geelong is disadvantaged in the sun over a dour defensive unit like the Saints. Roo may be advantaged by it for sure, but overall we are massively advantaged by clear conditions, given the way we play.
The rain was all that kept you in the game last year.

Anyone wants to get warmed up for Tomorrows game I suggest a look at the Thread on the Saints board about the New Ablett website... a great pre-game read.

The funniest things is I got deleted for apparently "Talking down on the History of the SKFC.." for a brief mention on their flag tally. The first post on the thread will show you how pathetic some of these guys are, and their nonsense gones on from there.

Anyone wants to get warmed up for Tomorrows game I suggest a look at the Thread on the Saints board about the New Ablett website... a great pre-game read.

The funniest things is I got deleted for apparently "Talking down on the History of the SKFC.." for a brief mention on their flag tally. The first post on the thread will show you how pathetic some of these guys are, and their nonsense gones on from there.

I have to say that there are an alarming number of Saints supporters in here that just can't accept the GF Loss. They go on and on and on about the weather/ the umpires/Hawkins' point/goal/Goddards and Riewoldts "injuries".
Pathetic...They were beaten by the better team, and they failed to kick a goal in the last quarter FFS!! They also had a goal-less quarter against the Bulldogs in the PF. Hardly the form of "the best team".
I sincerely hope we smash them on Friday.
The way they play is a blight on our great game.

Might seem like a silly question - but which gate is the best to buy a single ticket at tomorrow night? are there any gates which i should avoid, or do not sell tickets at?
cats fan, drinking area, chance at a half decent ticket for $35.00 is sought.

cheers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say that there are an alarming number of Saints supporters in here that just can't accept the GF Loss. They go on and on and on about the weather/ the umpires/Hawkins' point/goal/Goddards and Riewoldts "injuries".
Pathetic...They were beaten by the better team, and they failed to kick a goal in the last quarter FFS!! They also had a goal-less quarter against the Bulldogs in the PF. Hardly the form of "the best team".
I sincerely hope we smash them on Friday.
The way they play is a blight on our great game.

This:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:...I hope Pods puts about the 12 defenders they put on him, to the sword.

I'll donate money if some of you sit behind the goals, and then when St. Kilda are kicking to that end and the tiprat is lining up for a shot, hang a giant sheet over the fence that legibly states in giant letters for the cameras to see

"SHE SAID NO STEPHEN"

Haha! :thumbsu:

I don't think we'd stoop to those levels, but that is funny.

I remember watching NBA basketball in the 1980's when Larry Bird would be shooting free throws, and opposition fans behind the basket would show him posters of scantily clad women in an attempt to put him off. It would be hilarious if an opposition cheer squad did something similar when Milne's lining up at goal, but instead of posters of scantily clad women, they all hold up a sign which says something along the lines of "No means no!" :D

One of the great things about Geelong is that you have great replacements when a star goes out. Corey and Rooke have gone out, as well has Harley, and it seems, from an outsider's view anyway, that nothing's happened. Ottens has gone out, and Mumford is gone (as a back-up), yet it doesn't seem to stop the Geelong juggernaut being so dangerous in the centre. Full credit to your recruiting staff for recruiting a superstar team with depth any team would envy.

We aren't like that. Riewoldt was our forward structure last year. He's our MVP, he WAS EVERYTHING up forward.He's way too hard to replace, and we've struggled all year to do it. Gram is also a huge loss. Luke Ball is also gone (wow, he's pretty much been forgotten now...), and he tore you guys up in the GF until we mothballed him in the 4th Qtr, but I guess that's irrelevant now.

If we don't win tomorrow, there is still hope for us. One could say that we have 4 first team players out (Riewoldt, Gram, Dawson and Clarke, who is a much improved player on last year) as well as Dempster and Smith if they can recover this year. While I am unsure our best 22 is as good as the Cats' best 22, it's still pretty darn good, and I'm sure we can still challenge in finals with Roo fit and firing and such.

Saints by 9 (optimism), but result isn't important to me (although a win will be better than a loss). I want to see a good football match (regardless of the percieved style of St Kilda's footy), and if we go down, at least go down with pride. Good luck to you blokes. Will be at the game tomorrow, can't wait. I'm not going to say anything speculative about Grand Finals or anything, because nothing is ever locked in, but we should see these teams clash somewhere in September, and I'm hoping that we can put up a great fight and show that we're definitely a threat.

Has JPod played in rain yet? I haven't really taken track of the weather. Will be a sight to see him anyway.

Wanna see BJ have a great game tomorrow, unsure about how you guys can control him, or whether you employ a different strategy.

Reading the recent posts, I am not sure if you guys appreciate people stopping by. Oh well, I have been having a read of your Geelong v St Kilda relevant threads over the past couple of weeks and nothing more.

I think the Saints have a very good chance, I'd be lying if I didn't think this game was an important step towards a new finals campaign in 2010. Same opposition, same venue...sure the cup's not at stake this time, but a bit of soul cleansing surely must be on the cards for our boys.

Curious, and a question I have for the more honest Cats fans on here. If I could take you back to the years before your side won it's recent premierships, would you give them up if I told you that the cats 'attacking' brand had not been a part of winning them?

It's just you all seem proud of your brand (fair enough) but I wondered if you went back to your success starved era, whether you'd hold it in such high regard as you do now.

Here's to a great game, good luck and Go Saints.

Has JPod played in rain yet? I haven't really taken track of the weather. Will be a sight to see him anyway.

I missed a month of the season when I was overseas, but it definitely rained and was very windy when we played Melbourne @ Skilled in round 10.

JPods stats that day: 15 disposals, 9 marks, 5 goals 1.
Hopefully he can replicate that performance tonight :thumbsu:

I missed a month of the season when I was overseas, but it definitely rained and was very windy when we played Melbourne @ Skilled in round 10.

JPods stats that day: 15 disposals, 9 marks, 5 goals 1.
Hopefully he can replicate that performance tonight :thumbsu:

a big difference between Melbourne & St Kilda

a big difference between Melbourne & St Kilda

Overall, yes. But Melbourne's young defence is very good and St Kilda is missing it's 'main' key defender in Dawson tonight. I imagine Jason Blake or Sam Fisher will get the job on Pods. They will try to get a third man up when they can, so it's important that both Mooney and Pods look threatening and that our small forwards are nipping around their feet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 13 - St Kilda v Geelong, MCG, Friday 25 June 7:50PM (10 minutes delayed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back