Preview AFL Round 15 - Essendon v Geelong, Etihad Stadium, 7:10PM Saturday 2 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late change for mine will be
Out Menzel
In Cowan

Would love for Gillies to come in, but I can't see them going for 4 tall defenders when they didnt select him in the initial line-up.

I figure it will be Smithy out for Cowan.

Hasn't greeted 'the General' yet, and will be vital next week for the game in Perth.

I've managed to get 4 tickets together, level 3. "impeded view"?? What exactly does this mean at etihad?

I've managed to get 4 tickets together, level 3. "impeded view"?? What exactly does this mean at etihad?

Most likely, part of your view will be blocked by the scoreboard. It shouldn't be too bad - there's no such thing as a terrible seat at Etihad (except for front row behind the interchange bench, where I was unfortunate enough to sit once!)

Can't see Corey visiting the General this week....would want to be up against the Bombers and the Bomber for obvious reasons. Menzel getting hamstring work was a concern, so maybe Cowan. I expect that maybe Menzel would be the sub this week....hopefully a substitute for Corey thus killing two birds with one stone, sort of!

I figure it will be Smithy out for Cowan.

Hasn't greeted 'the General' yet, and will be vital next week for the game in Perth.

Agree with that, given we are playing in Perth with a 6 day break I'm pretty surprised neither Corey nor Chapman were given the "soreness" this week.

It means you get there early and comandeer a front spot at the barrier on level 1 between a bar and a dunny on the wing and have a blast with the generals :D

But as has been said, there isnt many bad seats at docklands, impeded view would probably be seated next to one of the scoreboard or something I would guess.

Menzel may still miss i reckon. Named on bench, was a bit hamstrung last week and given how cautious we have been with niggles/tightness it wouldnt surprise me if he was a late withdrawal.

Menzel out might be why Motlop is playing

Late change for mine will be
Out Menzel
In Cowan

Would love for Gillies to come in, but I can't see them going for 4 tall defenders when they didnt select him in the initial line-up.

You might be right.I thought Hogan would've been an emergency ahead of Cowan but maybe Cowan is likely to play and they have a specific role for him,where as Hoges is really just a midfield player.

You might be right.I thought Hogan would've been an emergency ahead of Cowan but maybe Cowan is likely to play and they have a specific role for him,where as Hoges is really just a midfield player.

Hogan needs another good, solid month of VFL footy, i think.
He blew up badly barely halfway through the third quarter last weekend and he's an elite athlete.
Just goes to show how vital true 'match fitness' is.

As for Cowan, i'm leaning towards thinking he'd be better off playing plenty of game time at VFL level.
His body still isn't there yet and he's got aspects of his game that he needs to work on, something he can't really do when playing a quarter or two at AFL level.

Having said all that, given he's the only small on the emergencies list he's the most likely inclusion should we have a late change.

Essendon are going to have their pants pulled down. Again.

Menzel out might be why Motlop is playing

Hogan's been out for a long time and as Exhale You said, he needs more time to build up match fitness. I'm sure once he does he will be in contention.

I don't think Menzel will miss, but he might be the sub (or subbed off) to manage his workload.

:thumbsu:interesting view. Agree but then again how would the impact of the new guys affect that 2007 team? I just like the depth at the moment whereas the 2007 side had a designated 22 that was never rotated like we can do today, plus the pace of the game has gone up a tad

Our depth is certainly looking promising. I would love nothing more for this team to be better than our 07 team. I'd certainly reassess if we go on to win the premiership.

Spanking time hope the channel forward entries through Vardy and Brown to see how good they really can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you flog 'em by 100+

A second consecutive flogging is just what the doctor ordered.

If a half strength Hawthorn can put them to the sword by 10 goals plus, and in the corresponding fixture last year, a half strength Geelong (no Ottens, Corey, Mooney, Hawkins or Scarlett) beat a full strength Bombers side by 12 goals with Pods kicking 5 on Fletcher despite being on one leg, surely a fully fit Geelong side should be able to smash a weakened Essendon side who are severely down on confidence by more than 100 points, assuming we don't put the cue in the rack at 3/4 time like we have a few times in recent weeks.

That sort of analysis is somewhat illogical. It's like saying if A beats B, and C is better than A, C should beat B by a larger margin than A did. That's assuming A,B and C play consistently the same every week, which doesn't happen in Alphabet land or the AFL;)

Just noticed an article on the herald sun website saying Corey is expected to be a late withdrawal.

As expected. Good management decision.

Gillies in (Cowan played VFL)

Yeah sensible....but to replace our best inside mid with a defender against a team with virtually no attack whatsoever? A bit strange....especially considering Trav and Selwood are both out also.

Christensen to play a full game in the guts, Mackie to the Wing, Gillies to slip into the Milburn role. I guess that leaves Ling, Bundy, Bartel, Kelly, Chapman, Duncan, Stokes, Johnson and maybe Motlop/Menzel as the midfield rotation - you would be fairly happy with that!

Scott is really intent on developing transition, and it's quite clear that Gillies is pencilled in as part of that. Given that we know now that he was constantly fighting groin problems last year, it stands to reason that while he's healthy they're going to give him some game time to seal his spot or continue looking for that third tall for when Scarlett gives it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back