MRP / Trib. AFL Round 16 findings - Steve Johnson offered one-week ban for misconduct on Nathan Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a bloody wet day FFS! Reckless???? No idea why it was even looked at. :mad:

No use appealing as we have NO idea on putting a good case together. :mad:

Argument should be simple which had more force Mitchell smacking Hunt in throat and dropping player to the ground or Johnson knee to chest that wasn't even remonstrated by anyone (except media blowing out of proportion because Embley incident still fresh in mind)?

Mitchell's hit off the ball, Johnson's slip of knee was in play.

One cleared with no explanation the other gets one match???

It was a bloody wet day FFS! Reckless???? No idea why it was even looked at.

I think they simply look at who the player is and given his recent history he no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

Whilst that's not meant to come into consideration the MRP are sure to have it in the back of their minds.

It's just ridiculous now. Stevie has a Cam Mooney-like tribunal record these days yet every offense (bar the Ballantyne love tap which was pure stupidity) has been a complete 50/50 as to which way it would/should go. I understand people being frustrated with him for getting in trouble so often but that 'knee' I thought was negligible contact, deserving of a free but not a suspension. I don't subscribe to the idea the MRP or AFL have it out for Geelong but it's clear that with Stevie, a 50/50 incident is going to be looked at poorly for him, given his record. Problem with that is his record is littered with 50/50 decisions going against him so it's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario.

I'm not saying that Stevie dropping the knee wasn't deliberate. May well have been. But in those conditions and with that level of contact, it's pretty stiff to get a week, especially given recent incidents that have been let-off and to be graded in the same category as Mckernan's hit is a disgrace. That alone shows the system is flawed and needs a desperate revamp.

No the grading Hoffy, McKernan's elbow last week was classed as being Reckless as is SJ kneeing? One of these things is not like the other.

I agree with that. If you listen to Fraser's justification for McKernan being judged as 'reckless' it seems as if, unless you throw a punch/elbow/whatever at someone with the express intention of breaking his jaw/nose/skull/whatever, it is not an 'intentional' act. I have no idea why they are so gun-shy on judging incidents as 'intentional' conduct, but that's the way the system goes.

rubbish decision
it will be why the afl is stuffed
degrees of grey
need fewer rules, easier to understand
and rest is history

the force in johnson hit was less than mitchell
both stupid acts

and embleys was a worse act than johnson - yet they are graded tha same

the afl is losing it - we should appeal
nothing to lose
johnson will be match fit by th finals
dont need him against the aints

I agree with that. If you listen to Fraser's justification for McKernan being judged as 'reckless' it seems as if, unless you throw a punch/elbow/whatever at someone with the express intention of breaking his jaw/nose/skull/whatever, it is not an 'intentional' act. I have no idea why they are so gun-shy on judging incidents as 'intentional' conduct, but that's the way the system goes.

It's the walking on egg-shell mentality. It's tantamount to calling a player dirty. Well you know what if you bloody go round whacking blokes you are dirty and deserve long holidays. Somewhere between reckless and intentional there needs to be "deliberate" which would sort this whole mess out.

I think they simply look at who the player is and given his recent history he no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

Whilst that's not meant to come into consideration the MRP are sure to have it in the back of their minds.
This is the risk from hereon - the cameras will be watching every move by Stevie J. The media circus will let the MRP know in its typical sensational way if & when Johnson has committed an act worthy of suspension. He is a marked man incapable of changing his ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One week suspension and one week internal suspension. Should sit out the St Kilda game and donate what would have been his match payment to the Casey Tutungi fund.

No, should play VFL or the rung below VFL if we're allowed to do that. :)

Hasn't rated a BF thread (other than here) that tells us enough surely?

Yep have seen it in the media but they just want something to fill space.
If the 'great rabid, unwashed masses' on BF are atypically silent-well it suggests to me, 'nothing in it'.

romeoh romeoh wherefore art thou romeoh.:)

Johnson was charged with misconduct after being cited for kneeing Jones during the second quarter of Saturday's game at Simonds Stadium.

The incident was assessed as reckless conduct, low impact and body contact.

The initial penalty was a one-match suspension, although this was increased to two when Johnson's carryover points and loading for his poor recent record were taken into account.

If Johnson pleads guilty, he will be suspended for one week and head into the remainder of the season with 71.78 carryover points hanging over his head.

Agree it was soft but he’s become a recidivist so hope the club don’t challenge it. Just tell him to suck it up.

So just to review:

SJ knee to Jones chest Reckless - two activation points
McKernan elbow to jaw Reckless - two activation points
Embley bump on Pearce Negligent - one activation points

Now wonder the MRP is known as chook lotto

romeoh romeoh wherefore art thou romeoh.:)

Agree it was soft but he’s become a recidivist so hope the club don’t challenge it. Just tell him to suck it up.

Mr Whateley is that you?:p

It's just ridiculous now. Stevie has a Cam Mooney-like tribunal record these days yet every offense (bar the Ballantyne love tap which was pure stupidity) has been a complete 50/50 as to which way it would/should go. I understand people being frustrated with him for getting in trouble so often but that 'knee' I thought was negligible contact, deserving of a free but not a suspension. I don't subscribe to the idea the MRP or AFL have it out for Geelong but it's clear that with Stevie, a 50/50 incident is going to be looked at poorly for him, given his record. Problem with that is his record is littered with 50/50 decisions going against him so it's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario.

I'm not saying that Stevie dropping the knee wasn't deliberate. May well have been. But in those conditions and with that level of contact, it's pretty stiff to get a week, especially given recent incidents that have been let-off and to be graded in the same category as Mckernan's hit is a disgrace. That alone shows the system is flawed and needs a desperate revamp.

Seriously I have this one down as sheer stupidity too. It was dumb dumb dumb from a super player and champion guy. I don't think the dropping the knee was actually deliberate but then Johno gave him a shove that made the impact a) obvious and then b) appear intentional. Damn! Against Melbourne? WHY? If that was Crowley on the ground, jump back up and drop the knee in properly :) But Melbourne when we're slaughtering them? I seriously reckon the Club should tell him to go play a VFL game on return - or go play for Casey's old club for a week as a local fundraiser (throwing his pay for a week in too) - he HAS to learn to walk away from the garbage these idiots put on him.

So just to review:

SJ knee to Jones chest Reckless - two activation points
McKernan elbow to jaw Reckless - two activation points
Embley bump on Pearce Negligent - one activation points

Now wonder the MRP is known as chook lotto
Think it was the system that preceded the MRP that was called Chook Lotto.

Evans has said (along with umpiring) the MRP system with be thoroughly reviewed at seasons end. Hope carryover points is one thing that goes.

One week holiday, one week's pay to the casey fund and one week in the VFL should sort him out. Actually I'd like to see that from now on - if you miss a game through suspension you pay a fine that goes to a charity. :) Not sure how the AFPLA would like that one though.

I was ridiculed when I suggested this last time he was suspended. When will he learn. I said maybe a stint in the VFL might do that. Being suspended doesn't seem to stop him.

But in saying that FWIW it was a nothing incident that shouldn't have even been looked at. He only gets a week for his bad record. The MRP is ****ed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. AFL Round 16 findings - Steve Johnson offered one-week ban for misconduct on Nathan Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back