Review AFL Round 18 wash-up - Sydney v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Washup: Round 18 - Geelong V Sydney

Just quickly though, can I say if Westy gets suspended for that perfect shepherd, then the MRP is a joke.

True. It's only West's size that made it 'head high' as the umpie saw it. It wasn't off the ball either, it was right in the bloody contest. West has NO case to answer. Should not have even been a free kick.

Blake couldn't come back after one week given what Bomber said...

I'm still in a bit of a state of shock about Bomber's comments. Blakey 'not playing our way'? What exactly does it mean? To my mind Blakey's been playing no different than he normally does, except he's being a tad more involved in general play.

I dunno...

Re: Changes for the Pies game

I probably agree with you on Mooney. And West will never cut it in the AFL imo.

Ins: Pods, Bartel.
outs: West, and rest either one of Corey, Ling, Chapman.

I reckon we don't need two ruckmen, just rotate Hawkins & Ottens in the forwardline.
2 big men with 2 good feet between them and both obviously underdone--sounds a great way to beat Pies rucks.

Pods isn't a walk-up start, based on his past month or so. Certainly not at Mooney's expense. If there's no spot for him, he'll have to go back to the VFL and kick a bag or two to regain his spot. It's a good problem to have.

Like it or not, if Geelong is to salute in September, a favourite or two will be on the sidelines watching, like us. That's what makes good clubs: Pressure for spots.

:D:D:D:D:D

You made me roll around in laughter on my loungeroom floor.

Podsy hasn't had the greatest month, but he's still made as much, if not more of a contribution, to the team, than Moons. Some people have very short memories methinks. Until last night, where he had a good return to form (well done:)) Moons' contribution to the team has been to miss games by belting blokes, and not do that much when he has played. Yet you think Pods will stay out? lolz.

Anyway this debate is irrelevant of course because Blake's omission means all our tall forwards would play, I could see Pods maybe making way if Blake came back, given that Bomber loves Hawkins, but given his comments of last night, I can't see Blake returning for at least a couple of weeks, so you can lock Pods in if his body is right to go.

2 big men with 2 good feet between them and both obviously underdone--sounds a great way to beat Pies rucks.

Fair point, and I worry about it too.

But you don't seriously think Blake will play next week though? I understand wanting it to happen, but thinking it actually will.......

Fair point, and I worry about it too.

But you don't seriously think Blake will play next week though? I understand wanting it to happen, but thinking it actually will.......
It may not happen, but he was great against Jolly earlier. He is playing right now as good as Ottens, and probably better. If you disagree, fair enough, but Ottens was not even as good as West last pm. West won't play finals, most likely. So we're hoping Ottens will recapture form, fitness and no more injuries, same with Hawkins, both at once.

:D:D:D:D:D

You made me roll around in laughter on my loungeroom floor.

Podsy hasn't had the greatest month, but he's still made as much, if not more of a contribution, to the team, than Moons. Some people have very short memories methinks. Until last night, where he had a good return to form (well done:)) Moons' contribution to the team has been to miss games by belting blokes, and not do that much when he has played. Yet you think Pods will stay out? lolz.

I said there's no way known he'd be coming back in at Mooney's expense. Which you seem to agree with. Glad you got a laugh out of it though...

I said there's no way known he'd be coming back in at Mooney's expense. Which you seem to agree with. Glad you got a laugh out of it though...

I said there's no way he gets left out at Mooney's expense too.

Will be and should be our first key forward selected.

Only way he goes out (other than if he gets injured) is if Hawkins can't cope with the ruck and Blake has to come back.

I said there's no way he gets left out at Mooney's expense too.

Will be and should be our first key forward selected.

Only way he goes out (other than if he gets injured) is if Hawkins can't cope with the ruck and Blake has to come back.

Didn't manage to watch the game, but after reading this there seems to be a few concerns over Corey, Chapman, and Stokes....can anyone give me a run-down on what happened>? Surely we will go in with a near full strength outfit next week and against the dogs. Although we have top 4 sewn up now so finishing 1st or 2nd really isn't going to make too much difference.

Bit worried about the clearances again though - Otto' still seems short of his best, and without Blake we lost this again. Did Hawk spend anytime in the ruck?

All in all, i hope we really gear up for two big games in the next few weeks. If we go hard and get a few points on the board then we can rest a few players in the lead up to finals.

It's different being at the game from watching on TV. I was sitting behind the goal (behind the cheer squad - a lot of fun BTW) but you do miss a bit. FWIW, I thought Joel Corey played well when he was on, a lot of tackling and shepherding pressure. Cory Enright had more success shaking his tagger and had influence. Westy had two obvious clangers that I saw, thought his shepherd on Brett Kirk was text book (can't believe they're talking sanction - shouldn't have even been a penalty!), but generally thought Westy was very good. His palm off to Stevie J for the last goal was beautiful. As for his ruck work, I thought he got first hands to the ball more often than not. Still concerned how often we get the 'tap' but not the clearance!
Regarding Mooney, I share some of those concerns. You may question the delivery, but Ted Richards seemed to read it OK.
I also noted that Otto would take the ball out of the ruck and then attempt to kick it. I can't understand why, after taking the ball, he doesn't give a 30m hand pass clear of the pack and trust Varcs or Stoker to shark it.
I thought Mackie played possibly his best game of the year - he's coming good at the right time (he needed to!!). A BF posted said once that Mackie tended to ramp up is effort toward the end of the season - seems that guy was right.

Saw the mob at the airport, and i think it will Chappy out for Jimmy. Looked to have pulled up a little gingerly and his old bones will be due for a rest. Would they risk it for a Collingwood match though?

It may not happen, but he was great against Jolly earlier. He is playing right now as good as Ottens, and probably better. If you disagree, fair enough, but Ottens was not even as good as West last pm. West won't play finals, most likely. So we're hoping Ottens will recapture form, fitness and no more injuries, same with Hawkins, both at once.

No I do agree with you. Personally if I was coach I'd play the two genuine ruckmen, and leave Hawkins out, but the combination of events-us risking Hawkins foot instead of putting him out to pasture-and now Bomber's comments about Blakey indicate that Pods-Moon-Hawk-Ottens is the preferred combination, and Blake will only come back if there's an injury etc. I am worried about it too somewhat, but we've gotta back the coaches in. Let's see how Hawk goes against Brown this week.

I wonder who will go and annoy Gazza? (assuming Wellingham won't play)

Didn't manage to watch the game, but after reading this there seems to be a few concerns over Corey, Chapman, and Stokes....can anyone give me a run-down on what happened>? Surely we will go in with a near full strength outfit next week and against the dogs. Although we have top 4 sewn up now so finishing 1st or 2nd really isn't going to make too much difference.

Bit worried about the clearances again though - Otto' still seems short of his best, and without Blake we lost this again. Did Hawk spend anytime in the ruck?

All in all, i hope we really gear up for two big games in the next few weeks. If we go hard and get a few points on the board then we can rest a few players in the lead up to finals.

Injuries-Corey in rooms before game, knee treatment, still played though, Bomber said he's 'a week to week proposition'. Chappy came off limping-I panicked about hammy but only a knock to knee apparently. Bomber said Paddle Pop got his toe stood on, and I have no idea what happened to Stokes. I'd say only 1-2 restings this week for this big game, if we win it and likely then get top spot, I'd say we'll rest more players over the last 3 weeks.

On the ruck, Hawk did a bit of ruck but not heaps, not until later in the game anyway. I looked at the stats today and all three of them played b/w 60 and 65% gametime, so they really rotated three ruck options rather than two. Interesting to see if Otto can go from 65 to 70-75 % TOG, which he will need to this week (assuming West is omitted).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's different being at the game from watching on TV. I was sitting behind the goal (behind the cheer squad - a lot of fun BTW) but you do miss a bit. FWIW, I thought Joel Corey played well when he was on, a lot of tackling and shepherding pressure. Cory Enright had more success shaking his tagger and had influence. Westy had two obvious clangers that I saw, thought his shepherd on Brett Kirk was text book (can't believe they're talking sanction - shouldn't have even been a penalty!), but generally thought Westy was very good. His palm off to Stevie J for the last goal was beautiful. As for his ruck work, I thought he got first hands to the ball more often than not. Still concerned how often we get the 'tap' but not the clearance!
Regarding Mooney, I share some of those concerns. You may question the delivery, but Ted Richards seemed to read it OK.
I also noted that Otto would take the ball out of the ruck and then attempt to kick it. I can't understand why, after taking the ball, he doesn't give a 30m hand pass clear of the pack and trust Varcs or Stoker to shark it.
I thought Mackie played possibly his best game of the year - he's coming good at the right time (he needed to!!). A BF posted said once that Mackie tended to ramp up is effort toward the end of the season - seems that guy was right.

FWIW Westy had 13 HO @23 % so I think that's pretty good. Good around the ground too. Will be so mad if he gets suspended (even though he probably wasn't gonna play this week anyway).

Moons was ok but he can play better.

Yes Mackie picked the right time to play a good game, maybe he saw the events of the week and thought his spot isn't necessarily secure. If so, that's a good thing.

Saw the mob at the airport, and i think it will Chappy out for Jimmy. Looked to have pulled up a little gingerly and his old bones will be due for a rest. Would they risk it for a Collingwood match though?

He missed the St Kilda game so who knows. It looks like the top 2 is swen up but perhaps go all out for the Pies game and then start resting?

He missed the St Kilda game so who knows. It looks like the top 2 is swen up but perhaps go all out for the Pies game and then start resting?

That would be insane! You guys would be better off resting Chapman so he fir & read for the Finals......he's limped into to many to risk it again.

What about Hunt, saw his ankle in a BIG ice sock, what happened there?

That would be insane! You guys would be better off resting Chapman so he fir & read for the Finals......he's limped into to many to risk it again.

What about Hunt, saw his ankle in a BIG ice sock, what happened there?

Stepped on by Goodes.... I think he'll be ok, unless they decide to rest him.

Ling was in the rooms for at least half a quarter???? has to be some worry there, might have needed a jab to get through.

On form, this is what should happen, but wont. :D

Mooney out - Pods in
West out - Blake in
Corey out - Bartel in.

Bit harsh all round I reckon, vc!

I really liked Mooney's game. Presented well particularly in the 2nd half and kicked 3 goals. Showed some pace for the 1st time in a while.
Corey is a tackling machine, and if his knee is ok, he did more than enough to hold his spot imo.
West was adequate. I thought he showed more flair and ability than Blake.

I say Pods in...West out. Put some pressure on Hawkins in the ruck, and we have to see if Pods can perform in a big game at the 'G before September. For that reason alone I think he has to play.
Bartel in...whoever is the most sore...out.
Geez this is gonna get hard if people stay fit and in the kind of form we showed on Saturday night!

Bit harsh all round I reckon, vc!

I really liked Mooney's game. Presented well particularly in the 2nd half and kicked 3 goals. Showed some pace for the 1st time in a while.
Corey is a tackling machine, and if his knee is ok, he did more than enough to hold his spot imo.
West was adequate. I thought he showed more flair and ability than Blake.

I say Pods in...West out. Put some pressure on Hawkins in the ruck, and we have to see if Pods can perform in a big game at the 'G before September. For that reason alone I think he has to play.
Bartel in...whoever is the most sore...out.
Geez this is gonna get hard if people stay fit and in the kind of form we showed on Saturday night!

Can't help but agree with all points. Did not think Mooney was that bad.

Pods, when over his groin, will come back in. We are a better side when he plays FF.

There are only 2 questions - who will be the second ruckman and who will go out when Bartel comes back (a small - Pods will take West's position) ?

Blake is the better tap ruckman without a doubt but Hawkins offers more around the ground. I think Hawkins is also underdone - and that does not help his cause. However if he gets match fit and Ottens increases his game time - Hawkins may be preferred. Just as long as he is competitive and can keep up with his opponent drifting forward.

Hawkins can play in more than 1 position - and so is more flexible than Blake. I also thought Blake was playing better this year - but he is unlikely to make more tackles or place more pressure on the ball carrier than Hawkins.

May come down to how Hawkins holds up - I reckon.

As for the small to make way for Bartel if we have a full list to choose from (no Rooke however) - I think either Wojo or Byrnes. Varcoe I think is rated ahead of both players by the selectors.

Looking at the stats - although they play different positions/roles which may account for the difference in the numbers - you would have to favour Byrnes. He kicks more goals, has more possessions and tackles. However not as quick or as good as ball carrier as Wojo.

May just depend on injuries when the first final comes up.

I just hope we have a pretty full list to choose from and Corey's knee can be managed so he can make his usual significant team contribution during all the finals.

Can't help but agree with all points. Did not think Mooney was that bad.

Pods, when over his groin, will come back in. We are a better side when he plays FF.

There are only 2 questions - who will be the second ruckman and who will go out when Bartel comes back (a small - Pods will take West's position) ?

Blake is the better tap ruckman without a doubt but Hawkins offers more around the ground. I think Hawkins is also underdone - and that does not help his cause. However if he gets match fit and Ottens increases his game time - Hawkins may be preferred. Just as long as he is competitive and can keep up with his opponent drifting forward.

Hawkins can play in more than 1 position - and so is more flexible than Blake. I also thought Blake was playing better this year - but he is unlikely to make more tackles or place more pressure on the ball carrier than Hawkins.

May come down to how Hawkins holds up - I reckon.

As for the small to make way for Bartel if we have a full list to choose from (no Rooke however) - I think either Wojo or Byrnes. Varcoe I think is rated ahead of both players by the selectors.

Looking at the stats - although they play different positions/roles which may account for the difference in the numbers - you would have to favour Byrnes. He kicks more goals, has more possessions and tackles. However not as quick or as good as ball carrier as Wojo.

May just depend on injuries when the first final comes up.

I just hope we have a pretty full list to choose from and Corey's knee can be managed so he can make his usual significant team contribution during all the finals.

If most are fit and in form come September, which looks possible, I think selection will be based on match-ups.
The problem for Blake is that none of the top 4-5 teams have significant 2-punch rucks. Then again who does these days? Essendon with Ryder and Hille are great when firing but they aren't gonna play finals.
I think the Match Committee has made the decision already re Blake/Hawkins.
The small forward and defender issue will definitely be based on who we play imo.

Fair point Witsend. In regards to the other one, I think it'll be Byrnes/Stokes probably. I've always felt Wojo was fringe 22 but he's been better this year, and with the number of slow/underdone players we have (Corey etc) that Wojo's pace will be more important than ever.

Boris didn't look obviously injured, he just struggled with the close checking again, so I'd play him also this week.

Disagree with this. While he didn't star, he made a contribution and was effective as always. The end of the season can't come soon enough for Kirk - he's finished. If it wasn't for a couple of extremely fortunate free kicks he would have hardly touched the ball.

I also must add that Byrnes is fortunate Corey is injured and others are maybe in doubt, or he'd be on the precipice. He'd want to play well this week.

Don't know why Byrnes get singled out, he wasn't any worse than Varcoe or Stokes. The fact is none of those three are in especially good form.

Disagree with this. While he didn't star, he made a contribution and was effective as always. The end of the season can't come soon enough for Kirk - he's finished. If it wasn't for a couple of extremely fortunate free kicks he would have hardly touched the ball.

Depends on your definition. Was more effective than the previous weeks he has been tagged, but still not as effective as he can be.

Don't know why Byrnes get singled out, he wasn't any worse than Varcoe or Stokes. The fact is none of those three are in especially good form.

Fair point. I just mentioned him because that was something that struck me watching the game. If I looked at all three, I would say I wasn't especially impressed with any of them on the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 18 wash-up - Sydney v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back