Preview AFL Round 4 - Geelong v Richmond, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 22 April

Predict the winner and margin

• Geelong by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 1-24

• Draw

• Richmond by 1-24

• Richmond by 25-48

• Richmond by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supporters Expectations - VS Tigers

From the footy tragic who microwave memberships when the chips are down, to the utmost faithful, supporters come in all shapes and sizes.

So do our expectations.

Knee jerk type reactions to losses don't help anyone. They usually end up being band aid fixes that are more harmful then helpful in the long term. Thankfully, we have an astute football department that make considered decisions based on the clubs, short, medium, and long term goals.

I would like to see what other supporters expect from our team this week. Make your expectations using the SMART criteria below.

S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Attainable
R = Realistic
T = Timely

Eg; No senior player (50+)to be suspended for undisciplined acts which result in suspension

Eg; To win the contested ball against the tiges this week

Make it for the team, for an individual, it doesn't matter. Come back after the tigers game and review your own expectations.

Re: Supporters Expectations - VS Tigers

How do you measure geelong style? If we win and only play the geelong way 3 1/2 quarters would you consider it a failure?

I'll use the KISS system, just want the 4 points. Be it by 10 points or 10 goals doesn't matter to me.

Anything short of the greatest winning margin of all time is a failure!
In all seriousness I would LIKE to say 60+ point smashing BUT thats not what I want.
I want Geelong to play Geelong footy. Hard, contested and committed with a view on contested possessions and clearances.
I want to see changes from the coaches box (player positions mainly), no injuries and a good win.
Also see some of the senior players with some heat on them stand up and prove they are still able to play good footy.

If you take out the uncontrollable's, can measure the contests and clearances.

Which players do you have the heat on?

Chapman, Corey and Enright in particular with eyes on Johnson aswell.

How about 4 Quarters of Geelong style football from start to finish.

I keep saying it but Geelong is not going to be playing 4 quarters of football until midway through the season.

The guys are behind all the rest in terms of full fitness due to the way the conditioning staff have programmed the seniors.
What you'll find is that the VFL boys will be able to run out the entire match but they will pull up fatigued when finals footy is about to start.

We had to expect this as it's been a consistent pattern for the club for a few years now.

We will be able to sustain 2 and half maybe 3 quarters of top notch footy but there will be significant drop offs as we saw against Hawthorn during periods and also against Fremantle for most of the 1st half.
I'm not fussed if we aren't running out full 4 quarters because it's not what we want to see at this early stage of the year.
That brand of footy (like last year's final series) will be played when it matters and the coach/fitness staff know that as well.

I keep saying it but Geelong is not going to be playing 4 quarters of football until midway through the season.

The guys are behind all the rest in terms of full fitness due to the way the conditioning staff have programmed the seniors.
What you'll find is that the VFL boys will be able to run out the entire match but they will pull up fatigued when finals footy is about to start.

We had to expect this as it's been a consistent pattern for the club for a few years now.

We will be able to sustain 2 and half maybe 3 quarters of top notch footy but there will be significant drop offs as we saw against Hawthorn during periods and also against Fremantle for most of the 1st half.
I'm not fussed if we aren't running out full 4 quarters because it's not what we want to see at this early stage of the year.
That brand of footy (like last year's final series) will be played when it matters and the coach/fitness staff know that as well.

Have to disagree.

If the 22 on the day can't run out 4 quarters of footy, and play to the game plan of the coach, then they shouldn't be playing in the team until they prove they can. Sure it's early days, but we need to smartin' up and get sorted. Lose a few more like yesterday, and we'll be struggling to make finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to disagree.

If the 22 on the day can't run out 4 quarters of footy, and play to the game plan of the coach, then they shouldn't be playing in the team until they prove they can. Sure it's early days, but we need to smartin' up and get sorted. Lose a few more like yesterday, and we'll be struggling to make finals.

Do you agree that Richmond are 4-6 weeks ahead of Geelong in overall fitness?

What I'd like to see? Winning the midfield battle would be nice. Selwood cannot do it alone and it's time for some of the older guys to give some more. This is something we've struggled with so far this year and Richmond will provide a decent test on Sunday. It might mean giving some of the younger players more time through there. If Chris Scott really thinks they can play, he should go with them at centre bounces more often (especially Christensen). We are losing them at the moment anyway so it can't hurt.

I'd also like to see one of Pods / Hawkins play at centre half forward. On Sunday night they were both playing far too deep and we ended up kicking it to SJ as the lead up forward. Surely one of them should play this role and SJ should get back to doing what he's better at which is getting the ball when it hits the ground. Not rocket science, but for some reason at centre bounces Pods and Hawkins effectively set up like two full forwards. It made no sense.

I agree with what you are saying Footscore but I think that might be a really negative to our year, unfortunately talent alone wont get you top 4, you actually have to win games and if this side cant sustain good footy for the majority of the game then I fear they will lose too many games to finish top 4.
Although I'm picking they will its just a concern.

Was interesting to hear Jack Riewoldt on Gameday yesterday saying Richmond will be having a training session at Simmonds Stadium on Thursday. Wouldn't be often a Melbourne-based side would do that I would think.

Richmond will come out swinging and we will need to be on our game to get over the line....but it is the perfect opportunity to cement things with our developing squad.

We haven't played bad footy so far, in fact, I have been quite impressed, we just haven't been at the A game level yet. Considering the amount of youth and inexperience we have going through the squad, its saying a fair bit about our upcoming prospects.

We must continue to back in the likes of Horlin-Smith, Smedts, Brown, Taylor Hunt, Guthrie, Gillies, West, Christensen, Duncan, Motlop and Stephensen. Get over the line with them in the squad and we will go along way to proving to these guys that they are capable of sustaining success. Richmond provides a great test for this.

Can't wait for the game - despite the losses so far, have been excited by the way we have approached things so far. This could be season defining this coming weekend.

Looking forward to it.

Richmond are on the improve and after they beat us down here a few weeks ago, we should know we will be in for a tough contest.

Hopefully we bring intensity right from the start unlike last night.

Scott said on tweet the coach last week that he thinks Smedts is best 22 and should play 15-20 games so I take that to mean he will play seniors whenever fit so he will come in, probably for Gillies.

Stokes for Byrnes.

Presumably Josh Hunt to have a run in the vfl if he's right.

Brown should also be in the mix after his 5 on the weekend although his inclusion might be one tall too many.

I would like to see us not repeat the mistakes of the last 2 weeks by not sending Poodle to someone until after quarter time. Have him sit on either Cotchin or Martin from the first to last bounce.

Lonergan will have a big job on Riewoldt but up the other end Richmond's tall defenders aren't their strongest suit and I reckon Pods and Hawkins can get on top if we get quick ball in. Their midfield is ever improving though so we have to be much better in there than we were last night.

I felt NM would get up on us due to their array of mids, and Tigers have similar strengths there. Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Houli may have too much pace and skill for us this week, but it is in Geelong, and I'll be hoping for rain, and we'll be hungry for a win.

Lets not be too negative VeeDubs. We are still a very powerful unit and more than a force to be reckoned with.

Sure the Tigers have got some very promising talent, but it ain't nothing we haven't dealt with before. We have the cattle (including the kids) to deal with anything, we just need to find the mojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back